2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
It quicksaves regularly and there are a lot of campfire save points. The quality of life in Horizon is amazing.

- No stamina system for running and good quick travel system

- Climbing/platformer elements are not frustrating

- Inventory management totally reasonable

- UI is great, easy to access everything, lots of shortcuts to necessary functions

- Camera always stays in a good position, icons pop up if something is charging you from an angle you can't see

They really do nail everything in that game. I just finished it with 100% a few days ago. It took me over 80 hours because I took my time and refused to fast travel until the very end. I never got tired of it or burned out, which is hard for a game to do over that many hours.

The only thing that bothered me a bit was scrolling through inventory items with the directional buttons. They need to make a more efficient way to go from health potions and not have to scroll through the freeze resist or fire resist potions I never use.

I wonder what they will do with DLC. Will it be story related or some arena type thing? I'd love post-story DLC, but a combat arena with waves of machines would be super fun and could end me playing other games for a while.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
Oh man, single player mode in Battlefront 2 sounds amazing.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/15/bat...-player-preview

Link is blocked for me right now. Is that about the campaign or instant action? I miss original Battlefront instant action, so I was hoping they'd have that in this game.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
Yeah that sounds amazing. Definitely something that was lacking in the last one.

That's definitely a plus.

Their community relations are awful though. I remember playing quite a bit of BF and there were major bugs and imbalances present, and the devs wouldn't give any feedback at all. Not even a "we're working on it". The contrast to Overwatch, where the devs are extremely active in the community and explain everything they do, is huge. The EA dudes just made it feel like the game was a giant cash grab.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody finished TLOZ:BOTW yet? I finished the 4 divine beasts,116 shrines, and 200 korok seeds and yesterday they announced the first DLC pack contents. I'm pretty pumped seeing the Korok Leaf mask since I want to find all the most seeds I can before I fully just quit. Also pumped for Trial of the sword, it looks like a ton of fun yet doing it will make me want to just rage quit.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ May 2, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
Anybody finished TLOZ:BOTW yet? I finished the 4 divine beasts,116 shrines, and 200 korok seeds and yesterday they announced the first DLC pack contents. I'm pretty pumped seeing the Korok Leaf mask since I want to find all the most seeds I can before I fully just quit. Also pumped for Trial of the sword, it looks like a ton of fun yet doing it will make me want to just rage quit.

I'm about 110 hours in and have found about 90 shrines and completed three divine beasts. I was hoping for all 120 shrines before tackling Hyrule Castle, but now I may just go for it and finish the rest of the shrines once that new map feature comes out with the first DLC pack.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I beat four divine beasts and I'm just side questing now, trying to build myself up and get the dark link armor before I go after Ganon

MarioKart 8 deluxe is also awesome, the new battle modes are so much fun

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 3, 2017 -> 08:07 AM)
I'm about 110 hours in and have found about 90 shrines and completed three divine beasts. I was hoping for all 120 shrines before tackling Hyrule Castle, but now I may just go for it and finish the rest of the shrines once that new map feature comes out with the first DLC pack.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 3, 2017 -> 08:17 AM)
I beat four divine beasts and I'm just side questing now, trying to build myself up and get the dark link armor before I go after Ganon

MarioKart 8 deluxe is also awesome, the new battle modes are so much fun

Yea the korok seeds i'll probably try to get enough to max out my inventory then leave the rest until DLC1 comes out. I have a feeling I'll just wait to finish all the sidequests and armor upgrades until after Ganon so I don't abandon the game for a couple months till DLC1 drops.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
Yeah, good old civilization. In my first game, 15 turns in, the closest country declares war out of the blue. Some things never change...

What level you playing on? PC kind of sucks at warfare and even with limited units you can really out maneuver them.

Unrelated, I think Im going to get a switch. I think Nintendo's ploy of making it hard to get is making me want it. The bundles are available but I dont feel like getting $100 of worthless stuff, and of course there is no bundle thats just Zelda/Mario Kart. Reminds me of when I got my PS2 and finally got a bundle with stupid things.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 12, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
What level you playing on? PC kind of sucks at warfare and even with limited units you can really out maneuver them.

Unrelated, I think Im going to get a switch. I think Nintendo's ploy of making it hard to get is making me want it. The bundles are available but I dont feel like getting $100 of worthless stuff, and of course there is no bundle thats just Zelda/Mario Kart. Reminds me of when I got my PS2 and finally got a bundle with stupid things.

I got a Zelda bundle when it came out from GameStop. Got the switch, Zelda, strategy guide, and pro controller for 459, but you gotta keep checking for availability. Supposedly a big shipment is on its way to accommodate demand

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
I got a Zelda bundle when it came out from GameStop. Got the switch, Zelda, strategy guide, and pro controller for 459, but you gotta keep checking for availability. Supposedly a big shipment is on its way to accommodate demand

Yeah right now they have the Zelda bundle plus games I dont care about, a Mario Kart with similar. I think they are playing games with the bundles because a lot of them are "digital downloads" so basically forcing 4 downloads on you, when you just want the machine.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 12, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
What other games are they pushing on you? I'm kinda pissed I didn't get that in my offer lol

Has Been Heroes, Snipperclips and Shovel Knights (2 of those 3 are in almost every bundle). So basically its Zelda (and the DLC) + those or Mario Kart + those. Snipperclips looks like it could be okay for multiplayer, but the other 2 seem just like generic junk that they are selling to increase revenues.

The bundle is about $480 though and no extra controller etc. Some of them have a 64 gb scandisk micro sd.

I have snipperclips and shovel knight and they are both fun, but if they don't interest you I get it. I put a 256gb microsdxc card into mine also, you may want to get that as well since the storage it comes with is nil(32gb)

Well I got a little lucky missing out on those pre-orders, because the newest one from Gamestop is Switch + Zelda + Mario Kart + 64 gb memory card + Has Been Heroes. HBH I dont really need, but Im basically chalking that up to a $20 premium and Id rather have a bigger sd card, but Im sure I can put the memory to use. Going to see if I can get lucky and get a regular system in the next week, but if not at least this isnt too bad of a deal.