2017 Watercooler TV thread

southsider2k5

So my wife and I started and finished House of Cards, season 1. I gotta be honest, I don't see what the hype was about. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, and I didn't care for the ending. It needed an "oh s***!" moment or something. Instead it ended how you thought it would.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
So my wife and I started and finished House of Cards, season 1. I gotta be honest, I don't see what the hype was about. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, and I didn't care for the ending. It needed an "oh s***!" moment or something. Instead it ended how you thought it would.

The next season is even worse. Don't bother.

I don't think I'm going to astonish anyone here, but I watched the first episode of CBS' Training Day series the other night, and it was absolute s***. Like, one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Not sure how Bill Paxton came to be so desperate.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
Been contemplating between The Crown and The Leftovers as our next show to binge.

No idea what The Leftovers is, so obviously my pick is biased. The Crown isn't super fast-paced, but the cinematography is beautiful and if you are at all interested in the royals, you'll enjoy it. I'd even rewatch it, myself.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
Been contemplating between The Crown and The Leftovers as our next show to binge.

Leftovers is different. I was much hotter on it after the first season versus the second season, but I am still not sure what to exactly think of it. I will be watching season 3, if that matters.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
No idea what The Leftovers is...

IMDB synopsis:

Three years after the disappearance of 2% of the global population, a group of people from New York struggle to continue their lives, while they cope with the tragedy of the unexplained nature of the event.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)
It's on HBO. Damon Lindeloff is behind it, who you might know from Lost.

Bummer, we do NetFlix and an OTA antenna. No HBO. Don't know much about Lost, although I think I saw the set from the air in Hawaii a decade or so ago, before it aired. Watched a couple episodes before losing interest.

I kept seeing ads for Falling Water last year while watching Mr Robot so I set my DVR to record the show. I never got around to watching it until a few weeks ago and it is not good.

I'm on episode 8 of 10 and I'm still not sure I know what the hell is going on. I guess I was expecting something more like Inception but it's not even close. Half the time I can't tell if I'm watching something "real" or a dream. Which I guess is what they are going for but it makes the storyline really hard to follow.

I'll probably watch the last 2 episodes just to see what happens but I've heard zero talk about the show which leads me to believe that nobody else really liked/watched it either.

On seperate note, I'm excited for season 2 of Humans coming up on Monday.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
Bummer, we do NetFlix and an OTA antenna. No HBO. Don't know much about Lost, although I think I saw the set from the air in Hawaii a decade or so ago, before it aired. Watched a couple episodes before losing interest.

:o

Oh man, I loved that show. On my top 5 list. My wife and I would have watch parties with friends every Wed night. I couldn't get enough of the TV recaps, theorizing, water-cooler discussions, etc. with that show. Ending was a bit of a let down, but the ride to the end was fantastic.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
:o

Oh man, I loved that show. On my top 5 list. My wife and I would have watch parties with friends every Wed night. I couldn't get enough of the TV recaps, theorizing, water-cooler discussions, etc. with that show. Ending was a bit of a let down, but the ride to the end was fantastic.

The first two or three seasons of LOST was some of the best TV in history. I mean it completely rewrote how a TV show worked in that there was no week to week ending. The season long mystery story arc, and on top of that the whole idea of the social media complement to the show just exploded it. Everyone needed that place to go talk about theories, ideas, and what had happened. No one had ever done that before.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
The first two or three seasons of LOST was some of the best TV in history. I mean it completely rewrote how a TV show worked in that there was no week to week ending. The season long mystery story arc, and on top of that the whole idea of the social media complement to the show just exploded it. Everyone needed that place to go talk about theories, ideas, and what had happened. No one had ever done that before.

Or since, really. Leftovers tries to do some of that, but I think he learned his lesson so most of the show's mysteries will remain mysteries.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2017 -> 11:04 PM)
Everyone is raving about the premier for Legion. Will check it out over the weekend.

I just watched it last night. It was really weird but very good. I'll definitely keep watching.

A lot will depend on the main actor and he seems pretty good so far. ( i never watched downton abbey)

Also, the creator of the Fargo tv series is behind Legion as well so that gives me high hopes.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 20, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
I have no idea why I keep watching Walking Dead. To me, this garbage people group is a new low for the show.

I honestly can't believe how bad the CGI/Greenscreen is for a show that makes so much money. AMC is a POS for being so cheap on show budgets.

Edited by TheTruth05