2017 Watercooler TV thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 16, 2017 -> 08:31 PM)
Despite some bad teen acting, "13 Reasons Why" is good.

I'm not through 8 episodes, and I can't find any sympathy for Hannah. She's a dramatic little idiot who, through 8 episodes, has only had 1 real complaint so far that I imagine could be scarring. And Clay is a little s***head too for the stuff he has done to "get back" at these people.

I don't find a single character to be likeable so far. The show is decent, just saying I roll my eyes at most of Hannah's bulls*** reasons why she is choosing to ruin other people's lives because of her cowardice.

Is it jut me or has The Americans really slowed down this season? I know it's generally a slow burn each season but there doesn't seem to be as much tension as I'm used to seeing. That being said, still enjoying it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
Jimmy Fallon is the biggest f***ing hack in the history of television. I legitimately hate him, his dumb face angers me. Just felt the need to throw that out there.

Didn't like SNL this weekend I take it?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
Jimmy Fallon is the biggest f***ing hack in the history of television. I legitimately hate him, his dumb face angers me. Just felt the need to throw that out there.

Hahaha. I hope you follow Vic Berger on twitter.

EDIT: He occasionally rips on him

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)

I'm not much of a fan either. Too goofy and he looks inferior when you match him up with Colbert.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:23 PM)
I'm not much of a fan either. Too goofy and he looks inferior when you match him up with Colbert.

Dude broke during every sketch he ever appeared in (same for Horacio Sans' b**** ass) and was arguably the worst Weekend Update host in the show's history -- even sitting next to Tina Fey couldn't save him -- so they gave him the f***ing Tonight Show, fitting successor to Leno.

And yes, I understand this is completely irrational and oddly extreme. This week is off to a rough start.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:36 PM)
Even by SNL standards it was insultingly bad. The man has zero talent and even less comedic courage/integrity.

I've never found him funny either so it's always been weird to me how popular he became. That said, he seems like a good enough dude so I've never really had a problem with him.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
I've never found him funny either so it's always been weird to me how popular he became. That said, he seems like a good enough dude so I've never really had a problem with him.

Years of watching sports has taught me to separate the personal form the professional side and to irrationally hate, actually, Timo alone taught me the latter.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
Years of watching sports has taught me to separate the personal form the professional side and to irrationally hate, actually, Timo alone taught me the latter.

Haha fair enough. I definitely understand that.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 01:54 PM)
Is it jut me or has The Americans really slowed down this season? I know it's generally a slow burn each season but there doesn't seem to be as much tension as I'm used to seeing. That being said, still enjoying it.

I think it's still it's usual slow burn, maybe not as much violence as seasons past but I think Phillip/Elizabeth are both dealing with internal personal struggles which in time will boil over and speed the pace up a bit. Things are being set into motion that could make everything get pretty crazy soon.

-Gabe leaving

-If Phillip finds out that they kept Mischa from him

-Elizabeth's guilt over Young He

-Paige entering the fold

-Henry/Stan's relationship

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
The direction, pacing, and storytelling of Better Call Saul is so perfect.

Especially because we already know the mid-game (Breaking Bad era) and they are still managing to tease an end game (The Cinnabon era) all while telling a compelling story even without considering that you know the beginning and end of the story already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
Especially because we already know the mid-game (Breaking Bad era) and they are still managing to tease an end game (The Cinnabon era) all while telling a compelling story even without considering that you know the beginning and end of the story already.

Loved how Jimmy was spying on that guy in the restaurant and behind Jimmy was Gus, out of focus, cleaning tables, getting closer, until he passed Jimmy and probably tipped the guy off.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Loved how Jimmy was spying on that guy in the restaurant and behind Jimmy was Gus, out of focus, cleaning tables, getting closer, until he passed Jimmy and probably tipped the guy off.

The thing that Vince Gilligan does better than anyone else is subtlety. It continually amazes me how he can pull it off. So many shows have to hit you over the head with a hint or reveeal, but not Gilligan.

What I love about BCS is that even though the Breaking Bad universe has had its share of scumbags/lowlifes/absolutely terrible people that have done things way worse than Chuck has, none of them have left as much of a visceral negative impression on me as he does.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)

Yeah, he absolutely did. Unless I missed him earlier, I assume he saw him on camera from his office. Jimmy was very conspicuous checking everyone and everything out. Hell, they even made Mike, who is a pro.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)

Yeah, that was shot so well. Funny how the part that is OUT of focus is the part the audience was focusing on. It was 30 seconds of Odenkirk making weird faces and yet no one would notice.

One *small* gripe I did have though is that Saul said he had no connection to Gus at all in Breaking Bad, said he "knows a guy who knows a guy....who knows another guy". So when Saul finally became aware of Gus in Breaking Bad, he should have remembered that he was the manager who helped him find his watch in the trash. Maybe he just forgot I guess. I just hope the Mike/Gus relationship stays unknown to Saul, otherwise the backstory won't match up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:10 PM)
The thing that Vince Gilligan does better than anyone else is subtlety. It continually amazes me how he can pull it off. So many shows have to hit you over the head with a hint or reveeal, but not Gilligan.

Couldn't agree more. There were a few strings of minutes with absolutely no dialogue, and there was so much told during that time.