2017 recruiting and HS sports thread

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 03:54 PM)
Aren't you kind of worried that this would draw a lot of unnecessary attention to the program in regards to drug testing?

Why? The NCAA drug tests the players and this kid was a high school recruit who signed with Florida. Nobody else was cited for possession but this kid. He's an idiot.

On a personal note, I'd rather have kids that age smoking weed than drinking. Much safer and better for their health.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
2 reasons why that happened:

1) Beckman had no idea how to run a big boy program. He didn't have this vision, I personally think he knew he was in over his head from day 1.

2) The assistant budget was not nearly as big as it is now, Whitman not only provided vision but budget allowing the vision to become reality. Illinois dedicated itself to be close to the top of the Big Ten for it's assistant/staff pool. That should be a sound investment. Mike Thomas (former AD) did a lot of good things for the Athletic department, he modernized it, got rid of a lot of donor-only mentality, came up with good facility designs, etc. But he didn't have the personality or vision to sell to top coaches. Whitman so far seems to have it, we shall see when replacing Groce just how much he does outside of football but he's earned a lot of trust thus far.

Illinois landing 0 4 stars is f***ing criminal. Next year they have to hit it big. Concentrate on the midwest kids who are usually targeted by MSU, Kentucky, etc and get those relationships. I honestly believe it can be done at Illinois.

Eh, they landed 6 guys who had 4 stars by at least one service. Ricky Smalling for example was rated a 4 star on 3 of the 4 services, is one of the best players in IHSA history, and has all the tools but for some reason 247 decided to single handedly destroy his ranking to the point where he doesn't even come out a consensus 4 star. Most of their recruits all had multiple power 5 offers which is better than losing out to MAC schools like usual.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)
Eh, they landed 6 guys who had 4 stars by at least one service. Ricky Smalling for example was rated a 4 star on 3 of the 4 services, is one of the best players in IHSA history, and has all the tools but for some reason 247 decided to single handedly destroy his ranking to the point where he doesn't even come out a consensus 4 star. Most of their recruits all had multiple power 5 offers which is better than losing out to MAC schools like usual.

I agree Beckman sent bar so low a class of 2 star recruits were hailed good. Next year I see Lovie having a very good class with some big suprises.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 05:27 PM)
Mental note: Do not move to Lake Zurich while my kids are high school age

Couldn't be more proud to be an Alum...

However, there's no way in hell this goes back to 1997... I feel that claim is a little far fetched. I graduated in 08, did not play football, but this came as a surprise to a lot of the guys that played football while I was there and the years before me.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 07:21 PM)

Yeah Ricky Smalling is a stud.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
Illinois landing 0 4 stars is f***ing criminal. Next year they have to hit it big. Concentrate on the midwest kids who are usually targeted by MSU, Kentucky, etc and get those relationships. I honestly believe it can be done at Illinois.

We beat out MSU and many other P5 programs for many of these kids. It's a huge change in targets and hits for us compared to Beckman and Cubit.

As B>W pointed out, there are 4 stars there, just depends on the recruiting services you look at. Smalling, Phillips, Green should all be 4 star recruits, then you have a big base of mid to high end 3 star recruits with tons of P5 offers, and that's what we needed; legitimate Big Ten recruits especially in the line.

If you look at the 10 lineman we got:

OL

Alex Palczewski - 3 star OT, offered by Syracuse, Vanderbilt

Larry Boyd - 3 star OG, offered by Miznoz, Arkansas, ISU, KSU, Minn, Ok St, Purdue, Wisky

Vedarian Lowe - 3 star OG, Illinois only offer (camp find)

Howard Watkins - 3 star OT, offered by Cinci, IU, Rutgers, UL

DL

Kendrick Green - 4 star DT, offered by Iowa, Arkansas, Minn, Miznoz, Ole Miss, Syracuse

Owen Carney - 3 star DE, offered by Arkansas, Cal, Duke, FSU, ISU, GT, KSU, UK, UL, Maryland, Miami, Miss St, Tenn, WFU, Utah

Olalere Oladipo - 3 star DE, offered by PSU, Cal, Duke, IU, Maryland, Minn, Miznoz, Syracuse

Jamal Woods - 2 star DE, offered by GT, KU

Deon Pate - 2 star DE, offered by Rutgers

Bobby Roundtree - 3 star DE, offered by BC, Cal, Cinci, IU, ISU, KSU, UL, UK, Mich St, Miss St, Minn, NC S, Ore St, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vandy, VT

That is such a HUGE difference from what we were getting before.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 10:18 PM)
So who is gonna do well in the state playoffs this year? Any favorites? I see Bro Rice had a very nice season. I've watched some games and can't imagine them going far though. Put a box and one on the two studs.

Bolingbrook is awesome

Micah Jones commits to Notre Dame.

He goes to my alma mater, I've seen him pay and he's a 4 star recruit.

I hate saying this about high school kids, but he is awful. He's afraid of contact, a coach told me that, and won't fight for balls. When I heard he was a 4 star recruit, I was dumbfounded. He's big and could get good, but I just don't see the work ethic from him.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)

I hate saying this about high school kids, but he is awful. He's afraid of contact, a coach told me that, and won't fight for balls. When I heard he was a 4 star recruit, I was dumbfounded. He's big and could get good, but I just don't see the work ethic from him.

Same things were said about Taco out of high school, so you never know. They can always develop.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)

I know him. He's a nice enough guy, so I'm happy for him. He's absolutely massive in person.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
Same things were said about Taco out of high school, so you never know. They can always develop.

Micah must be great in 7 on 7s because he has hands of stone and gator arms in real games.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 06:37 AM)
Micah must be great in 7 on 7s because he has hands of stone and gator arms in real games.

Yeah those aren't good traits. Taco was said to look like Tarzan but play like Jane. But all it took was a legit d coach and he blew up. Dominant player.