2018 Celebrity Death thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 05:13 PM)
His Cheers episodes were great as well. Only 65

Just came back to post pretty much these exact words.

Of course, Cheers was just a great show. Not sure if it holds up, but great for its time for sure.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 07:53 PM)
Just came back to post pretty much these exact words.

Of course, Cheers was just a great show. Not sure if it holds up, but great for its time for sure.

I used to pull up episodes every once in awhile on Netflix when nothing else was on and it definitely holds up. I get the humor more now that I'm older.

It's still amazing to me how mainstream dance music has become. I used to go to hidden raves where you would have to call a hotline from a pay phone at the last minute to get a location, now DJs are getting world wide obituaries and EDM festivals have 100,000+ people.

20 hours ago, LegiaWwa said:

It's still amazing to me how mainstream dance music has become. I used to go to hidden raves where you would have to call a hotline from a pay phone at the last minute to get a location, now DJs are getting world wide obituaries and EDM festivals have 100,000+ people.

house and techno is still very underground and doesn’t get the attention that music like Avicii made later in his career.  There’s multiple spots going all night and into the morning in on the south and west sides every weekend. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah. He seemed like a genuinely good person, or at least someone who tried to be and recognized his own shortcomings. His shows and his writing were as much social commentary as they were about food. e.g.:

He was in Beruit filming when war broke out there, too. He cooked meals for the scared hotel staff.

Plus he had a burning hatred for Kissinger, which is always a big plus.

Edited by StrangeSox
  • Like 1

It's interesting as you get older and celebrities that impacted your life pass away, there's definitely more of a connection and shock.

Impacted would have sounded funny to me years ago, and maybe this is hyperbole, but it's hard to think of a celebrity that more embodied culture/lifestyle aspirations of at least peers of mine. The way people traveled and dined and went out and thought about experiences seemed to change either because of him or he was on the forefront of articulating it.

Sad. Depression is just brutal. I'll never forget this article by Dave Weigel. I think about it every time an ending like this happens:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/08/12/calling_all_sad_clowns.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

By all accounts, Bourdain was a great guy, too.

I read a story that he was having issues getting a large piece of art into his home. A walker asked him if he wanted help so Bourdain said yes. After getting the art into his home, Bourdain offered him a bank-wrapped stack of $100's, which of course is $10,000 as gratuity. The fan said no but that's the kind of guy he was: fun, caring, and kind. It's too bad. You just never f***ing know.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, knightni said:

Not really a major celebrity, but Richard Harrison (old man) from Pawn Stars - passed away.

Too bad. I know he had a stroke a couple of years ago and that took him off the show.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...