2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

So, I didn't realize that quite a few of the Supreme Court Justices were rather old and that Kennedy and Bader Ginsburg were that old. I had heard an opinion that Democrats shouldn't disrupt the confirmation of the new Supreme Court Justice - but it doesn't seem like there's much they can do. It's too bad Obama didn't get to confirm his and the potential picks Trump may have over the course of his term or terms may shift the balance of the court for decades to come. Hopefully they don't overturn too many established social issues.

Edited by New Era on South Side

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 06:57 PM)
So, I didn't realize that quite a few of the Supreme Court Justices were rather old and that Kennedy and Bader Ginsburg were that old. I had heard an opinion that Democrats shouldn't disrupt the confirmation of the new Supreme Court Justice - but it doesn't seem like there's much they can do. It's too bad Obama didn't get to confirm his and the potential picks Trump may have over the course of his term or terms may shift the balance of the court for decades to come. Hopefully they don't overturn too many established social issues.

Yes, frankly it's not replacing Scalia that worries me it's replacing RBG.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Replacing Scalia with a 49 year old Scalia rather than a 49 year old RBG still really sucks, though.

I don't want dems to roll over on either, but I'm not going to freak out until the actual court dynamic shifts.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
I don't want dems to roll over on either, but I'm not going to freak out until the actual court dynamic shifts.

It's reprehensible that the last one was blocked in a way never before seen by scumbag republicans, so it makes any nominee here annoying as f***.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 07:56 AM)
http://trib.in/2krGPir

Oh man. Read to the part where the parents offer their recommendation for speakers.

I went to New Trier. Doesn't surprise me there's some of these idiots in the district.

That said, the school itself is pretty inclusive, at least in a traditional sense. That one guy quoted mentioned that he didn't think the area was racist. He's not necessarily wrong -- the North Shore is much more classist than it is out and out racist.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Anyone see those protesters from Berkeley? Surprised it hasn't been brought up. Pretty vicious stuff from the extremists at that school. Jumping people they don't agree with, fires, destruction of property, etc.

The same way the vicious white right wing attack in Quebec hasn't been mentioned even once by the President?

Trump-identifying supporters have murdered a lot more in the last 18 months than Muslim refugees from the 7 ban countries have in 40+ years combined.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (farmteam @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
I went to New Trier. Doesn't surprise me there's some of these idiots in the district.

That said, the school itself is pretty inclusive, at least in a traditional sense. That one guy quoted mentioned that he didn't think the area was racist. He's not necessarily wrong -- the North Shore is much more classist than it is out and out racist.

I don't think it's an indictment on new trier, that school lineup sounds awesome.

Beside there are plenty of things to make fun of new trier alums for that are more accurate ;)

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
Relevance?

If you're going to call out something as not being mentioned (that was in fact mentioned) then you believe the failure to mention something of greater importance is a relevant issue. You are commenting on how people have not mentioned something as a negative.

For example, I could equally comment on how no one commented on that speaker's doxxing of a trangender student in Wisconsin a few weeks ago, driving harassment that drove her from school. I could comment on how Berkeley became a controversy worth noting here, but one of his supporters shooting someone in Washington a couple weeks ago was not worth mentioning and not controversial (shooting liberals is good sport I guess). I could comment on how the thing he was supposed to, in his talk, show how you could rapidly check the immigration status of people at that university and out people who are undocumented publicly, putting them in jeopardy. But none of that is done by Democrats so it isn't controversial.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article/N.../NEWS/170209869

Or maybe just the fact that he wants to return to Berkeley to start another riot so Trump can (illegally) threaten to withhold funding or once again publicly vilify judges (one appointed by Bush) sworn to protect the US Constitution.

In reality, his only power comes from NOT being ignored, much like Trump. It's a conundrum, because not fighting hard enough for what you believe in (like the SCOTUS/Mitch McConnell) is what got us here in the first place. Lay down, and you're Neville Chamberlain.

Norman Ornstein, a Constitutional scholar, just a few days ago advised the Dems to let Gorsuch through and not filibuster.

But Ornstein told me that he is changing his thinking on this, after witnessing initial Trump moves such as the ban on travel from seven majority-Muslim countries and witnessing how reluctant Republicans have been to provide a check on him. He now recommends that Democrats stall President Trumps agenda by repeatedly denying unanimous consent on the Senate floor.

This sounds similar to McConnells brand of obstruction, but Ornstein argues its not, because the opponent is different. We dont have a conventional president, he said. Were seeing behavior that could lead us right down the path to martial law or authoritarian rule. These are dangerous times, and you have to think through your strategy in that context. For Democrats, using leverage to pull us back from the brink of something that shatters our fundamental system is now in order.

Ornstein is hearing GOP will use this strategy for ACA...

Philip Klein's piece suggests GOP strategy on Obamacare similar to debt ceiling: go over the cliff, blackmail Dems to accede. Not acceptable.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/article/N.../NEWS/170209869

Or maybe just the fact that he wants to return to Berkeley to start another riot so Trump can (illegally) threaten to withhold funding or once again publicly vilify judges (one appointed by Bush) sworn to protect the US Constitution.

In reality, his only power comes from NOT being ignored, much like Trump. It's a conundrum, because not fighting hard enough for what you believe in (like the SCOTUS/Mitch McConnell) is what got us here in the first place. Lay down, and you're Neville Chamberlain.

Norman Ornstein, a Constitutional scholar, just a few days ago advised the Dems to let Gorsuch through and not filibuster.

But Ornstein told me that he is changing his thinking on this, after witnessing initial Trump moves such as the ban on travel from seven majority-Muslim countries and witnessing how reluctant Republicans have been to provide a check on him. He now recommends that Democrats stall President Trumps agenda by repeatedly denying unanimous consent on the Senate floor.

This sounds similar to McConnells brand of obstruction, but Ornstein argues its not, because the opponent is different. We dont have a conventional president, he said. Were seeing behavior that could lead us right down the path to martial law or authoritarian rule. These are dangerous times, and you have to think through your strategy in that context. For Democrats, using leverage to pull us back from the brink of something that shatters our fundamental system is now in order.

Ornstein is hearing GOP will use this strategy for ACA...

Philip Klein's piece suggests GOP strategy on Obamacare similar to debt ceiling: go over the cliff, blackmail Dems to accede. Not acceptable.

I voted for Trump because he was the alternative to letting a collection of free spenders, organizers, race-baiters, intellectuals, tree huggers and professional value arbitrators continue to spend our grandchildren's money.

This country and this generation of voters must pay our bills and not sit around having dorm-room debates on philosophy and injustice. I voted for Trump because we can't afford another president we simply like; we need one now who does something.

So, go ahead — rage, riot, demonstrate, burn, dress up, march, protest, pout, sing, make speeches, resist, vandalize and denounce me as much as you want. I am deplorable, and I am happier with my vote every day.

Jeff Bust lives in Frankfort, Ill.

Chicagotribune.com

The fact that Trump voters still believe he or the current GOP cares about balancing the budget anymore is the hilarious part.

What are professional value arbitrators, anyway? Goldman Sachs bankers? Mortgage loan companies?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 08:57 PM)
I voted for Trump because he was the alternative to letting a collection of free spenders, organizers, race-baiters, intellectuals, tree huggers and professional value arbitrators continue to spend our grandchildren's money.

This country and this generation of voters must pay our bills and not sit around having dorm-room debates on philosophy and injustice. I voted for Trump because we can't afford another president we simply like; we need one now who does something.

So, go ahead — rage, riot, demonstrate, burn, dress up, march, protest, pout, sing, make speeches, resist, vandalize and denounce me as much as you want. I am deplorable, and I am happier with my vote every day.

Jeff Bust lives in Frankfort, Ill.

Chicagotribune.com

The fact that Trump voters still believe he or the current GOP cares about balancing the budget anymore is the hilarious part.

What are professional value arbitrators, anyway? Goldman Sachs bankers? Mortgage loan companies?

I thought you lived in China, not Frankfort? And you voted for Trump?

Sorry but can you try to use the quote button? I can't even comprehend what your posts and links say.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 4, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
I thought you lived in China, not Frankfort? And you voted for Trump?

Sorry but can you try to use the quote button? I can't even comprehend what your posts and links say.

It doesn't work well with an ipad.

If you want to italicize something, you have to physically place them at the front of a quote, then delete the [/]...then you have to go in at the back end of a quote and repair it again. Not to mention the last 3-4 days my ipad keys have been "sticking" and it's not even possible to get the cursor to show up where I want on the touchpad. Then I have to deal with the VPN freezing as well at times when internet usage is high in China, so I keep ending up with double and triple posts.

At any rate, I will try to reinstall the latest version of ios and reboot the system.

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.newsweek.com/robert-reich-who-s...berkeley-552577

Knowing Bannon, the left is justified in at least being skeptical where the black mask thugs even originated...and very few would be shocked if it was a set-up.

According to a promotional Breitbart story that ran before the event, Yiannopoulos was going to “ call for the withdrawal of federal grants and the prosecution of university officials who endanger their students with their policies.”

Which is exactly what Trump did via tweet early the next morning:: “If U.C. Berkeley does not allow free speech and practices violence on innocent people with a different point of view — NO FEDERAL FUNDS?”

http://www.newsweek.com/robert-reich-who-s...berkeley-552577

Edited by caulfield12

Trump immigration ban stopped at least until Monday afternoon hearing. Appeal for immediate reversal denied.

Carter, Bush and Obama judicial appointees will preside.

(If case goes all the way to SCOTUS, it will be remanded back down without 9th judge, who should have been Merrick Garland.)

Edited by caulfield12