2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

The Democrats are going to have to get humble after losing four special elections. The media being in the Democrats' corner and the pollsters being in the Democrats' corner is not helping. They keep thinking they are leading races and when the votes are tabulated they lose. Trump may be a chump, but people certainly aren't buying what the Democrats are selling right now.

Loss after loss at the polls. Need a little humble pie and not the pollsters saying all is well in Democrat-ville.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Greg, the last time Price won in that district, the spread was 23 points.

This time it was under 6% with an inexperienced candidate lacking in charisma from outside the district. The Montana candidate was much worse in Quist. There are around 60 districts in the country that went GOP in 2016, that, on paper, should be much more competitive in 2018.

South Carolina, of all places, the win last night was just 3%. Dems never come that close in any statewide race there, not unlike Kansas.

And, as Reddy pointed out photographically, a deluge worked in favor of seniors (read Republican voters, white, older than 50) who voted early or earlier in the day...compared to those who had to work and then gave up fighting the weather. Probably not enough to win, but that and the Scalise shooting didn't help.

All that said, Dems need better messaging/branding and better policy visions than just being anti-Trump. Same thing the GOP learned being anti Clinton (Bill) and anti-Obama. Of course, those are two of the most gifted politicians of their time/s.

In fact, of the last 59 or 69 Congressional races in Georgia....only 1 of them has had a spread of LESS than 5 points, either way.

Edited by caulfield12

In 2014 the Democratic candidate for Congress in #GA06 got 70k votes. In 2017, turnout was up by 50k from '14, and the Democratic candidate got a total of 125k votes. That's a jump of 55k votes since the last mid term election. The Republican? Only 5k more.

Let Republicans call that a win, today. Let them crow. Let them talk nonsense. I'm not going to fight a word of it. Let them be complacent.

As my former international relations professor always reminds me: Never interrupt your opponent when they're making a mistake.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 01:26 AM)
The Democrats are going to have to get humble after losing four special elections. The media being in the Democrats' corner and the pollsters being in the Democrats' corner is not helping. They keep thinking they are leading races and when the votes are tabulated they lose. Trump may be a chump, but people certainly aren't buying what the Democrats are selling right now.

Loss after loss at the polls. Need a little humble pie and not the pollsters saying all is well in Democrat-ville.

Good good, this is actually the best case scenario. Everything is great for Republican's, no one is upset about how the country is being run. The Democrats absolutely should have won seats in districts that almost always vote Republican.

I honestly dont even think Republican's should campaign, 2018 is going to be a victory lap.

:)

The best part is, the people who will lose the most, are going to be predominately Republican. Tears will be shed.

The irony is that Hillary's states account for 63% of the nation's GDP.

Trump lost the popular vote by three million as well, yet there's somehow a mandate to pass a bill that only about 25% even favor affecting 17% of the economy...meanwhile, this same bill is going to most hurt those in the 37% of GDP states that voted for him.

The irony is that Hillary's states account for 63% of the nation's GDP.

Trump lost the popular vote by three million as well, yet there's somehow a mandate to pass a bill that only about 25% even favor affecting 17% of the economy...meanwhile, this same bill is going to most hurt those in the 37% (remaining) of GDP states that voted for him.

Edited by caulfield12

Al Franken: Democrats ‘gotta stop riding in limousines’

https://www.yahoo.com/news/al-franken-democ...-164552540.html

Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., says the Democratic Party has a clear messaging problem.

Franken was asked on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” on Monday how members of “the corporate wing” of the party might be able to erase the “limousine Democrat” image in the minds of some voters.

“We gotta stop riding in limousines,” Franken replied.

But the comedian and former “Saturday Night Live” star quickly pivoted to an attack on the GOP health care bill, which would slash Medicaid for millions of Americans and cut taxes for the wealthy.

“If you’re talking about limousines, how about the top 400 people in terms of tax cuts here?” Franken said. “The amount of money they’ll get in tax cuts would pay for Medicaid for 750,000 people.”

Franken then cited a recent survey in the New England Journal of Medicine which concluded that for every 750,000 people who lose Medicaid coverage, 1,000 to 2,000 people will die.

ProPublica got their hands on internal facebook documents detailing how they censor posts.

Facebook’s Secret Censorship Rules Protect White Men from Hate Speech But Not Black Children

A trove of internal documents sheds light on the algorithms that Facebook’s censors use to differentiate between hate speech and legitimate political expression.

In the wake of a terrorist attack in London earlier this month, a U.S. congressman wrote a Facebook post in which he called for the slaughter of “radicalized” Muslims. “Hunt them, identify them, and kill them,” declared U.S. Rep. Clay Higgins, a Louisiana Republican. “Kill them all. For the sake of all that is good and righteous. Kill them all.”

Higgins’ plea for violent revenge went untouched by Facebook workers who scour the social network deleting offensive speech.

But a May posting on Facebook by Boston poet and Black Lives Matter activist Didi Delgado drew a different response.

“All white people are racist. Start from this reference point, or you’ve already failed,” Delgado wrote. The post was removed and her Facebook account was disabled for seven days.

A trove

TzgzgYW.png

aCeNCFH.png

tulLelG.png

LeFd0Uj.png

LUtvj1x.png

PYNWQuz.png

P66vNz9.png

l8J8Fia.png

hPzUdTO.png

Edited by StrangeSox

Here's a hot take.

Chaffetz is going to use this as a platform to be critical of Trump, be seen as super moderate and reasonable, and then he's going to run for Governor of Utah - which is quickly turning purple.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
He went from being a super popular two term governor, to an easily elected Senator, to getting beaten by an absolute nobody.

I think the "cashing out" label is really hard to beat, so is quitting mid-term. I think it would be hard to beat especially in primary.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
I think the "cashing out" label is really hard to beat, so is quitting mid-term. I think it would be hard to beat especially in primary.

Bayh also had the issue of not actually living in Indiana that haunted him too.

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/6/13...-everybody-lies

But Stephens-Davidowitz saw clues in his Google research that suggested Trump was far more serious than many supposed. Searches containing racist epithets and jokes were spiking across the country during Trump’s primary run, and not merely in the South but in upstate New York, Western Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio, rural Illinois, West Virginia, and industrial Michigan.

Stephens-Davidowitz saw in the Google Trends data a racially polarized electorate, and one primed to respond to the ethno-nationalist rhetoric of Trump.

There were earlier signs, too. On Obama’s 2008 election night, Stephens-Davidowitz found that “one in every hundred Google searches that included the word ‘Obama’ also included ‘KKK’” or the n-word. Searches for racist websites like Stormfront also spiked.

“There was a darkness and hatred that was hidden from traditional sources,” Stephens-Davidowitz says. “Those searches are hard to reconcile with a society in which racism is a small factor.”

Sean Illing

What were you seeing exactly?

Seth Stephens-Davidowitz

The first thing was that the level of racism in this country was a lot higher than I had realized. I think a lot of people thought that Trump would be done as soon as he started saying all these racially charged things. I think when you look at this internet data, you see the demand for this type of material.

I mean, I had even been studying white nationalist sites like Stormfront for a long time, long before most people knew about it, and still I was shocked by how widespread the appeal of these sites were.

Seth Stephens-Davidowitz

They are also often the most important. One of the studies I talk about in the book is a study of Islamophobia. It's not really Islamophobia, it's like Islamo-rage, or something like that. It’s essentially people with horrifically violent thoughts toward Muslim Americans. People search things like “kill Muslims” or “I hate Muslims” or “Muslims are evil.” These people are basically maniacs and you can actually see minute-by-minute when these searches rise and when these searches fall.

Seth Stephens-Davidowitz

I'm pretty convinced that the United States has a self-induced abortion crisis right now based on the volume of search inquiries. I was blown away by how frequently people are searching for ways to do abortions themselves now. These searches are concentrated in parts of the country where it's hard to get an abortion and they rose substantially when it became harder to get an abortion. They're also, I calculate, missing pregnancies in these states that aren't showing up in either abortion or birth rates.

That's pretty disturbing and I think isn't really being talked about. But I think, based on the data, it's clearly going on.

Sean Illing

That’s appalling if it’s true. Give me some good news. Have you discovered anything pleasant?

Seth Stephens-Davidowitz

I think it’s refreshing to learn that we’re not alone in our anxieties or insecurities or desires.

:(

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 28, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)

Trump could make it an easier sell if he spins it well enough. But yeah, you may be right.