2017 Democratic Thread

bmags

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
BTW I'm so completely sick of Bernie Sanders.

Bernie Sanders's strange behavior

The first two things are completely obvious.

• He said that he still isn't actually a Democrat
  • He repeated his line that President Trump “did not win the election; the Democrats lost the election” — drawing some angry responses from Hillary Clinton supporters who see this as either a shot at her or as something that Sanders's primary campaign contributed to (or both)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)

Indeed. And for whatever flaws he has as a candidate, they're not as bad as the flaws I see in most establishment Dems.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:18 PM)

specifically regarding his decision not to support Ossoff because he doesn't live up to Sanders' purity test, while Mello in Nebraska somehow does, even though he's Pro-Life, and Quist in Montana does, even though he's pro-gun.

The difference? The latter two supported Bernie last year. Coincidence? Nah.

The demands that democrats running in WV or Georgia red districts need to be as progressive as those in Vermont will not end well. I'm on team Markos right now, but considering how wrong I was on 2016 election I'm not going to say Sanders is wrong. I do like that he believes the progressive message works anywhere. I continue to dislike that he can act like he is more of a progressive champion than Tom Perez, who has accomplished much more.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
Indeed. And for whatever flaws he has as a candidate, they're not as bad as the flaws I see in most establishment Dems.

you don't mind his hypocrisy regarding Ossoff/Mello/Quist?

you are fine with him - as the Head of Outreach for the Democratic Party (official title) not tweeting in support of Ossoff on the day of the most important election that district has seen in 40 years?

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
The demands that democrats running in WV or Georgia red districts need to be as progressive as those in Vermont will not end well. I'm on team Markos right now, but considering how wrong I was on 2016 election I'm not going to say Sanders is wrong. I do like that he believes the progressive message works anywhere. I continue to dislike that he can act like he is more of a progressive champion than Tom Perez, who has accomplished much more.

It doesn't work in GA-6. Even the Democrats there live in McMansions.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
It doesn't work in GA-6. Even the Democrats there live in McMansions.

Then who cares what Bernie Sanders thinks about that race? Do you really think he lost because of Bernie?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
BTW I'm so completely sick of Bernie Sanders.

Bernie Sanders’s strange behavior

What a bulls*** article.

Figures Democrats would "be sick of Sanders". Why would you want to listen to the politician with the highest approval rating in the country.

Maybe they should get sick of Pelosi of Schumer.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
Then who cares what Bernie Sanders thinks about that race? Do you really think he lost because of Bernie?

1) He didn't lose. He won by 27%

2) I'm just tired of Bernie people complaining about the DNC not supporting far left candidates while Our Revolution and BS won't support anything less than far left candidates. It's hypocritical and annoying.

3) If Bernie didn't want to be a leader within the Democratic Party, he shouldn't have accepted the job of head of outreach. Given that title, it's his responsibility to - at a minimum - tweet support for Democrats in winnable races across the country.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
What a bulls*** article.

Figures Democrats would "be sick of Sanders". Why would you want to listen to the politician with the highest approval rating in the country.

Pelosi and Schumer are party building and supporting candidates like Jon Ossoff. Bernie isn't. Never going to be ok with that. Purity tests are not going to win us the House in 18.

In special elections, turnout is crazy and unpredictable. Bernie has incredible power over the millennial demographic, and even a modicum of support could increase blue voter turnout in a statistically significant way.

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:34 PM)
I get why people really don't like some of the Dems like Feinstein, but I'll never get the Pelosi hate. She seems to do a pretty good job of wrangle all of the Democratic cats in the House, and the House version of the ACA was a good bill with a public option.

It's far left adopted far right rhetoric. Par for the course.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
What a bulls*** article.

Just a reminder the under the 2 years of Pelosi as speaker she passed a Health Care bill, a cap and trade bill, dodd-frank, lily ledbetter, DREAM act immigration reform bill and a stimulus package. I.e. more progressive work than Sanders has come close to.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
Just a reminder the under the 2 years of Pelosi as speaker she passed a Health Care bill, a cap and trade bill, dodd-frank, lily ledbetter, DREAM act immigration reform bill and a stimulus package. I.e. more progressive work than Sanders has come close to.

these are the total bills sponsored by Bernie Sanders that were enacted by Congress and signed into law:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/brow...7#enacted_ex=on

But hey! He named a post office!

This isn't even an argument I want. I generally like Sanders. I think it does take a lot to really pull an institution like the Democratic party out of its status quo.

BUT, if Sanders fans want to know what annoys me most, it's acting like there was no progressive movement in the democratic party prior to them mentioning it. To look at the 2012 platform vs. the 2004 one is crazy. To look at it vs 1996 even crazier.

I hated Bill Nelson, Ben Nelson Mary Landreiu, Blanche Lincoln so much. But, as much as they made ACA much worse, they still voted for it. They made it capable to pass things. So yeah, I'll take a congress with people like this again, so don't primary Joe Manchin just to prove a point.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 04:58 PM)
This isn't even an argument I want. I generally like Sanders. I think it does take a lot to really pull an institution like the Democratic party out of its status quo.

BUT, if Sanders fans want to know what annoys me most, it's acting like there was no progressive movement in the democratic party prior to them mentioning it. To look at the 2012 platform vs. the 2004 one is crazy. To look at it vs 1996 even crazier.

I hated Bill Nelson, Ben Nelson Mary Landreiu, Blanche Lincoln so much. But, as much as they made ACA much worse, they still voted for it. They made it capable to pass things. So yeah, I'll take a congress with people like this again, so don't primary Joe Manchin just to prove a point.

That makes all three of us on the same page. Although the more this plays out, the less respect I have for Sanders. But otherwise, fundamentally, you and I agree on everything after the BUT :)

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
1) He didn't lose. He won by 27%

2) I'm just tired of Bernie people complaining about the DNC not supporting far left candidates while Our Revolution and BS won't support anything less than far left candidates. It's hypocritical and annoying.

3) If Bernie didn't want to be a leader within the Democratic Party, he shouldn't have accepted the job of head of outreach. Given that title, it's his responsibility to - at a minimum - tweet support for Democrats in winnable races across the country.

It is very much like the GOP of today. They refuse to all into the party line at many occasions, and aren't afraid to fight with each other because of it.