bmags

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-senator-sh...-180422705.html

The not so clever "someone hijacked my FB, cover your ass" explanation from Indiana State Senator for an idiotic tweet about the Women's March.

Do Republicans actually brainstorm dumb things that they can say to make national news so they can then turn around and deny it and call it fake news when the story gets picked up?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
so Warren's come out and said that she'll vote for Carson for HUD

lol at me for thinking Democrats could make even token efforts in opposition.

I'll take a Mattis/Sanders presidency at this point...still really miss Paul Wellstone.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/state-senator-sh...-180422705.html

George Orwell's estate must be elated...copies of 1984 are flying off the bookshelves.

How long before the Trump administration bans it and Animal Farm (for offending the Russians)?

Still, the weekend’s events did not arrive in a vacuum. There was the report last week in The Washington Post that the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History, known for high standards of accuracy, was selling a commemorative book about Mr. Trump riddled with questionable notions, such as that Hillary Clinton deserved more blame than Mr. Trump did for the so-called birther campaign questioning Mr. Obama’s citizenship. (After that report, the museum said it was removing the book pending an investigation into whether it met standards for accuracy.

Nytimes

Edited by caulfield12

Have called Durbin's and Duckworth's staff the last few days, today again. They sound wishy washy as eff on Sessions. I would highly recommend calling them if you have not (though they said they've been swamped with calls to vote no).

Also called Rauner's office who said he had no planned comment on Trumps message, would also recommend giving them a ring to remind him who his constituents are.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:16 PM)
so Warren's come out and said that she'll vote for Carson for HUD

lol at me for thinking Democrats could make even token efforts in opposition.

Maybe this is the democrats way of trying to sabotage the republican party, confirm all the picks, watch the carnage, and win the midterms in 2018?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:07 AM)
Have called Durbin's and Duckworth's staff the last few days, today again. They sound wishy washy as eff on Sessions. I would highly recommend calling them if you have not (though they said they've been swamped with calls to vote no).

Also called Rauner's office who said he had no planned comment on Trumps message, would also recommend giving them a ring to remind him who his constituents are.

Do the same for devos

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Do the same for devos

Dude, I told them all of them. I didn't want one, and the only one you could sell me on was Mnuchin because I thought his confirmation hearing was fine.

But Sessions leading DOJ with a fake voter fraud inquiry? Ugh.

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
Maybe this is the democrats way of trying to sabotage the republican party, confirm all the picks, watch the carnage, and win the midterms in 2018?

Could also be a way to say they didn't do complete obstructionism, but only voted against the particularly bad ones. Then it also highlights to the voting populace how bad DeVos, Tillerson, etc. are.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
Could also be a way to say they didn't do complete obstructionism, but only voted against the particularly bad ones. Then it also highlights to the voting populace how bad DeVos, Tillerson, etc. are.

The thing is, the republicans will sell "obstruction" against dems no matter what, they may as well actually, you know, obstruct.

Also back to calling today, I've called Rauner's office three times in my life and they are the only one to never ask for my address and name. Kinda weird. Not sure if that's a governor thing as I never called Quinn as much as scream into the void.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
I do think it worth noting that presumptive nominee Senator Gillibrand is the only one so far to have voted against every one of these disasters.

I think she actually voted for Haley but I don't have a problem with that. She leads my 2020 list now.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
I don't have a problem with mattis, either. Is there a reason to?

If these were normal times, then yes - we used to believe in a thing called "Civilian control of the military" where the military should not be an insulated group that polices itself. There's a reason why there used to be a law against a former general being Secretary of Defense. If we were debating that policy, I'd support it and as a consequence I'd vote against a general for that position.

This cabinet of the worst of the worst makes him look unusually qualified. For a Democrat, given that their vote isn't going to matter anyway, stand up for the principle.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
I appreciate Senator Gillibrand voting no on these. I don't think I could back her for president though.

She has been an impressively effective legislator so far in her career, given a position in a mostly minority party.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
I think she actually voted for Haley but I don't have a problem with that. She leads my 2020 list now.

I hate this "purity" idea that a candidate has to have a perfect, sparkling record of liberalism or progressivism to get my vote. Elizabeth Warren has been a pretty effective legislator with respect to progressive principals over the last several years. Voting to confirm Ben Carson (who is going to be confirmed in any event) does not undo that.

Vox had a good read on this point. http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/201...rown-carson-hud