2017 Republican Thread

bmags

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
Honestly with all of the background fires around Trump, I would be shocked if he weren't being monitored. It would be basically negligent.

A group like the FBI getting a warrant and legally monitoring Trump is a lot different than President Obama illegally ordering monitoring of a political opponent.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 03:57 PM)
AP says they did it to their reporters. So no, it isn't that much of a stretch. And you all are taking 'wire tap' too literally. You know he means he was spied on, by whatever means it happened.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/govt-obtain...e-records-probe

It's an enormous stretch. The AP stuff went through a court. This would have to as well. If that happened with Trump, either that means he was personally involved in something very illegal (in which case, where is the case, and why didn't ObamaCo release bad press on it?), or more likely he is just making it up. The bar the court would set for the Obama administration to set up wire taps on a Presidential candidate would be almost impossibly high, like they had evidence of direct high treason from Trump (which I doubt they had). It's a fever dream, nothing more.

Also, that AP story was an investigation about getting a source for terrorism information, and on a block of individuals directly involved. That's an incredibly long walk from a Prez candidate.

This isn't about Obama's motives. Even if you think he wanted to perpetrate some sort of evil here, the practicalities make it nearly impossible for him to pull it off.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
He called Obama a sad man, that implies Obama did it directly.

Its entirely inaccurate and completely undermines how the United States system works.

Its the equivalent of someone in criminal court telling the judge "Im being arrested because of Rauner/Rahm."

If people arent willing to stand up to Trump and educate him on how the system, that he is currently the President of, works, then we dont deserve our freedom anymore.

Its really that simple.

(edit)

SS2k,

He may have been legitimately monitored. That is why he is framing this as "Obama" the "sad man" did it, so that any investigation's credibility is destroyed. He is hedging against a real criminal investigation.

This is probably the smartest thing that has been said here. I honestly think the rest of trying to apply logic to Trumps actions in general are a large waste of time. What is boils down to is the guy is a level 100 con-artist who will literally say whatever he can to get what he wants. In this case I think there might be an actual nugget of reality that his insanity is based on, and it is fairly obvious how it would come about. The rest of it is garbage.

Not only that, but criticizing Obama and his ex staff for being too political after the election by engaging back and forth with Trump through the media.

Baiting.

Works consistently with the GOP base, and feeds the conspiracy theory that his admin is being sabotaged by nefarious external forces and protesters/rioters who don't want to give him the opportunity to be the next transformative president like FDR or Reagan.

Don't engage and defend, Trump will keep crowing about Obama being guilty and silence speaking volumes, etc.

The most transparent adminstration ever.

The Obama administration set a record again for censoring government files or outright denying access to them last year under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act, according to a new analysis of federal data by The Associated Press.

The government took longer to turn over files when it provided any, said more regularly that it couldn’t find documents and refused a record number of times to turn over files quickly that might be especially newsworthy.

It also acknowledged in nearly 1 in 3 cases that its initial decisions to withhold or censor records were improper under the law — but only when it was challenged.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/obama-...-foia-requests/

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 14, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
The most transparent adminstration ever.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/obama-...-foia-requests/

Has anyone really been referring to them as particularly transparent? This has been a maddening slide during his administration, which continued a slide under Bush. The general performance of both parties' leaders in this area has been s***ty to say the least. Obama and his admin were terrible about being transparent.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 07:58 AM)
Has anyone really been referring to them as particularly transparent? This has been a maddening slide during his administration, which continued a slide under Bush. The general performance of both parties' leaders in this area has been s***ty to say the least. Obama and his admin were terrible about being transparent.

It is how Obama referred to his own administration.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-roo...tion-in-history

Even without reading the dateline on this article, this is how you know how old it is: "“This is the most transparent administration in history,” Obama said during a Google Plus “Fireside” Hangout."

His admin was hypocritical on this after his initial campaigning and even what they claimed during their time in office.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
Even without reading the dateline on this article, this is how you know how old it is: ""This is the most transparent administration in history," Obama said during a Google Plus "Fireside" Hangout."

His admin was hypocritical on this after his initial campaigning and even what they claimed during their time in office.

It is his "Mission Accomplished" moment as far as I am concerned.

By the way, in terms of transparency, I just want to give a shout-out to house rep Justin Amash (MI - R). Not only has he almost never missed a vote, but for every vote he makes, he writes a post on Facebook and his blog as to the reasoning why he voted how he did. There are other things I like about him too (he's very willing to buck his own party), but he does transparency really well.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
By the way, in terms of transparency, I just want to give a shout-out to house rep Justin Amash (MI - R). Not only has he almost never missed a vote, but for every vote he makes, he writes a post on Facebook and his blog as to the reasoning why he voted how he did. There are other things I like about him too (he's very willing to buck his own party), but he does transparency really well.

Is he the guy who cried because he missed his first vote ever?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:10 PM)
That would be the guy. Disagree with his politics, but its nice to see someone take his duty seriously.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
Personally I love it. We need more people like that.

Yup. There are policy stands he makes that I agree or disagree with, but in terms of how seriously he takes the job and his obligations to whom he represents, he's a model guy for me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
And on the continuing list of positions that have been completely flip-flopped, now the Democrats are talking about shutting down the government if they don't get their way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/us/polit...crats.html?_r=0

You know the response: #itsdifferent

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:15 AM)
You know the response: #itsdifferent

Which is the same response republicans have for not shutting it down.

So we finally found something each party agrees with. It's different.

IMO, the premise for the Trump victory wasn't so incorrect. These politicians have to go. It's not about what's best and compromising anymore, its all about party, and getting re-elected. It's too bad there wasn't a more stable, thoughtful "outside" candidate, instead of one who still thinks he hosting a game show.

Edited by Dick Allen

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
Which is the same response republicans have for not shutting it down.

So we finally found something each party agrees with. It's different.

IMO, the premise for the Trump victory wasn't so incorrect. These politicians have to go. It's not about what's best and compromising anymore, its all about party, and getting re-elected. It's too bad there wasn't a more stable, thoughtful "outside" candidate, instead of one who still thinks he hosting a game show.

I wonder if George Soros just threatens to kill every Dem's family if they don't stick to the plan. Same goes for the Republican side, just don't know who the big cheese is.

I too was also hoping the outside candidate would rattle the cages and get everyone back to work. I'm voting for Terry Crews in 2020.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
And on the continuing list of positions that have been completely flip-flopped, now the Democrats are talking about shutting down the government if they don't get their way.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/13/us/polit...crats.html?_r=0

I already wrote my representative and viewed my displeasure at resorting to those tactics.

Of course y'all don't mind and believe it is a fine strategy. ;)

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)
I wonder if George Soros just threatens to kill every Dem's family if they don't stick to the plan. Same goes for the Republican side, just don't know who the big cheese is.

I too was also hoping the outside candidate would rattle the cages and get everyone back to work. I'm voting for Terry Crews in 2020.

Did you know Republicans are literally the only people who talk about George Soros? I literally don't know a thing about his political involvements. Nothing.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 07:20 PM)
Did you know Republicans are literally the only people who talk about George Soros? I literally don't know a thing about his political involvements. Nothing.

Koch Brothers of the left.