Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Username @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
The Cubs have made it known that they've been searching for cost-controlled starters for awhile. Arrieta is a likely goner next year, as well as Lackey. Plus Lester isn't getting any younger despite still being great.

More importantly, they'll need to extend their core within the next few years or risk players becoming probitively expensive. That Heyward contract is a real bad anchor, and they've got a ton of money allocated to Lester as well. They don't NEED Q like the Astros do. But it greatly improves the outlook of their future roster.

Plus, their top prospects are blocked for the foreseeable future. They don't need Happ and Jimenez (who probably has to shift off center), and two top 20 prospects that can hit is a great start on a package.

Edit: and before anyone tells me the Cubs don't need money, look at the Yankees/Red Sox. Even huge market teams have to be conscious on contract planning.

Yeah, I mean Q is basically like a staple ingredient. Any franchise can utilize him very easily.

The difference is who has the surplus assets in their organization to acquire him? In the case of the Cubs, in my mind, they have one of the best fits possible, because they have the surplus assets AND the competition window in place.

They are basically to Quintana what the Red Sox were for us for Sale.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
It sucks, but what's new? This franchise has been cursed in developing hitters. We have not developed one single position player in the last 16 years. It's really an incredible feat when you come to think about it and how many good hitters has played in the MLB in that time span, and none of those were developed by the Sox. It also hurts to see some of our mid tier prospects got traded away and found success with another org, guys like Chris Young, Chris Carter, and Paulo Orlando, maybe we'll even be sour with Tatis Jr. a few years down the road.

Paulo Orlando spent seven seasons in the minors. Chris Carter is awful. Chris Young had one good year and would be ripped alive here for the entire span of his career.

If we're counting those guys, then we might as well count Semien, Viciedo, Trayce, Beckham, etc.

I think the Cubs make perfect sense to trade for Quintana.

The backend of the rotation is not all that good.

4th stater-Lackey is 38 years old and one year left.

5th Stater- Tyson Ross as best. A guy that may or may not be good after arm surgery. He already has issues with command in San Diego.

Mike McGomery- A career reliever who is really good in long relief but who knows how he will hold throughout the season.

And very rarely does a team go without using 6 or 7 different starting pitchers.

Arrieta and Lackey will most likely walk. I could see the Cubs making a push for Darvish.

I could also see them look at a guy like Archer with 5 years of control pretty appealing especially given his success in the American League. I do find it hard to believe the Cubs go into the season without picking up another arm.

It is interesting when Yankees, Pirates and Astros fans say that Quintana is not worth the prospects. They could conceivably keep Quintana for 2 years and still get a haul for him in 2 years if they flip him. They run the risk of his value going down but that same risk could be said for hanging onto prospects.

Edited by striker

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 03:52 PM)
It is interesting when Yankees, Pirates and Astros fans say that Quintana is not worth the prospects. They could conceivably keep Quintana for 2 years and still get a haul for him in 2 years if they flip him. They run the risk of his value going down but that same risk could be said for hanging onto prospects.

Pirates fans do.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 04:03 PM)
Pirates fans do.

Yes they do and over the last few days I've seen more comments from Astros fans basically saying to trade whomever it takes that isn't on the 25 man roster. More and more Astros fans are open to trading their prospects for Q.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)
Paulo Orlando spent seven seasons in the minors. Chris Carter is awful. Chris Young had one good year and would be ripped alive here for the entire span of his career.

If we're counting those guys, then we might as well count Semien, Viciedo, Trayce, Beckham, etc.

My point isn't that these are great players, but rather we could not develop hitters and some players have seemingly gotten better after they left our org. In fact, as unspectacular as Chris Young has been, I believe he has the highest WAR of any position prospects that were drafted or signed by us in the last 15 years.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 03:08 PM)
Semien is turning into a very good SS with Oakland. 27 HR and his defense has become pretty solid now that he's not being asked to change positions every two weeks.

Its amazing how he got better the minute they attached a fielding expert ( Washington ) with him. Our top end infielders should have a fielding coordinator working with them everyday to improve their defense. Its not hard, just treat the minors like a baseball academy instead of just rapidly promoting people.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
The Sox should NOT trade to Pitt for Glasnow and Newman as headliners. That feels very under value for Q

Agreed. Slamdunk allstars on slamdunk contracts deserve slamdunk prospects. This is all Hahn really needs to be saying.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 09:21 PM)
The Sox should NOT trade to Pitt for Glasnow and Newman as headliners. That feels very under value for Q

I would take Glasnow, Keller, Newman, and Hayes. Although it would have been nice to get a stud OF in one of the Sale, Eaton, Q trades (Basabe is too raw right now).

A package of Glasnow/Keller would be very similar to the Giolito/Lopez combo where one Glasnow has always been the blue chip slam dunk pitching prospect, but then 2016 sees another pitcher shoot up their list and some scouts now think is better than the longtime top prospect.

Sickels on Keller:

"3) Mitch Keller, RHP, Grade B+/A-: Age 20, second round pick in 2014 from high school in Iowa; 2.35 ERA with 138/19 K/BB in 130 innings between Low-A and High-A, 101 hits; ideal build at 6-3, 195; fastball up to 93-97 MPH, curveball has become a plus pitch, change-up solid-average, command and control of all pitches took a huge step forward; some sources now regard him as a better prospect than Glasnow due to better control and they might be right; has history of forearm problems so sturdiness remains unproven; number two starter upside. ETA 2019. "

And I don't have a subscription to Baseball America to read the report, but they have Keller as the #2 PIT prospect behind Meadows, but ahead of Glasnow.

Now when this guy says Glasnow and Newman as headliners, if he is essentially counting out Keller, then the package would have to be something like Glasnow, Newman, Hayes, Hearn, and Diaz.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 09:42 PM)
I would take Glasnow, Keller, Newman, and Hayes. Although it would have been nice to get a stud OF in one of the Sale, Eaton, Q trades (Basabe is too raw right now).

A package of Glasnow/Keller would be very similar to the Giolito/Lopez combo where one Glasnow has always been the blue chip slam dunk pitching prospect, but then 2016 sees another pitcher shoot up their list and some scouts now think is better than the longtime top prospect.

Sickels on Keller:

"3) Mitch Keller, RHP, Grade B+/A-: Age 20, second round pick in 2014 from high school in Iowa; 2.35 ERA with 138/19 K/BB in 130 innings between Low-A and High-A, 101 hits; ideal build at 6-3, 195; fastball up to 93-97 MPH, curveball has become a plus pitch, change-up solid-average, command and control of all pitches took a huge step forward; some sources now regard him as a better prospect than Glasnow due to better control and they might be right; has history of forearm problems so sturdiness remains unproven; number two starter upside. ETA 2019. "

And I don't have a subscription to Baseball America to read the report, but they have Keller as the #2 PIT prospect behind Meadows, but ahead of Glasnow.

Now when this guy says Glasnow and Newman as headliners, if he is essentially counting out Keller, then the package would have to be something like Glasnow, Newman, Hayes, Hearn, and Diaz.

BA describes Keller as having a FB that tops 97 with late life to cause many swings and misses to go along with a very good 11-5 CB. They bring up concerns about his durability but ultimately say he has the stuff to be a top-of-the-rotation starter by 2018-19. I think I would rank him higher than Glasnow as well considering he had a measly 1.3 BB/9 last year. That's pretty damn good if he indeed hits 97 with the heater.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
Somebody on twitter @rumbunter, who professes to be the best Pirate blogger, said he just got an email confirming the Sox and Pirates discussed the offer for Q this morning. Whatever, I know.

Retweeted by rabbit

Love some good late nite hot stove leading into monday. Get some nice momentum going for a deal sometime midweek.

I am of the mind that if the Pirates are getting Quintana they are giving up Meadows to do so. It makes no sense for them to deal Bell, and without one of those two Pittsburgh will have a real hard time competing with the potential returns from the Astros. Especially now that the Astros seemed to have taken their best shot at Archer only to come up short I feel like Luhnow will reflexively outbid the Pirates on anything that doesn't include Meadows as it means he wont have to offer up Bregman to do so. He'll do that even if his motivation is only to keep his options open, because once Quintana goes there's really not much left.

I know we've been on a long and winding road, but I feel certain this week it gets done. It sounds like we have multiple offers, now we see who will get in counter offer game and then finalize.

We are also finally totally free of the tyranny of FEDERAL HOLIDAYS and the cooling effect they have on the stove. Once we hear the words "mystery team" I'll know were close.

Looks like this rumbunter account has "broken" some minor stuff before, so could be legit.

One of the follow up tweets indicatws Hahn contacted Huntington with offers from other teams, to see if they'll counter: https://twitter.com/rumbunter/status/818247503300665345

Would seem to indicate things are heating up. Also have to think dialogue on a weekend means something could happen soon.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 8, 2017 -> 08:54 PM)
Somebody on twitter @rumbunter, who professes to be the best Pirate blogger, said he just got an email confirming the Sox and Pirates discussed the offer for Q this morning. Whatever, I know.

I have honestly enjoyed thee reads on Rumbunter but I did laugh when they tweeted Meadows and Bell aren't going anywhere and yet still have better hitters to offer than Houston. Going with that tweet and taking Meadows and Bell off the table that leaves Newman and Hayes as their next best bats to offer which could easily be trumped by the Astros, Yanks or Cubs.

I'm hoping the Sox can work something out with Houston. One arm I'd like to snag from Houston is Whitley. Man there is alot of potential in that kids arm.