Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:04 AM)
FWIW, the Pirates are looking to extend Jordy Mercer. This is pretty odd given that he's not very good, has two years of control left, and the Pirates have a high-end prospect who should be ready to take over at SS when Mercer's contract ends. Some speculation by rumbunter that such a move would allow them to include Newman in a Quintana trade. With recent reports that the Pirates are now holding onto McCutchen, I'm keeping hopes alive for a Quintana for Meadows, Newman, + deal.

God I hope so.

How good is Mercer's defense? They must like him enough to play him every day and bat him 8th.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:04 AM)
FWIW, the Pirates are looking to extend Jordy Mercer. This is pretty odd given that he's not very good, has two years of control left, and the Pirates have a high-end prospect who should be ready to take over at SS when Mercer's contract ends. Some speculation by rumbunter that such a move would allow them to include Newman in a Quintana trade. With recent reports that the Pirates are now holding onto McCutchen, I'm keeping hopes alive for a Quintana for Meadows, Newman, + deal.

Thinking about Cutch, if he returns to form this season and doesnt get extended I would think Pirates fans would be irate. Pirates like to have 2 center fielder types on the field since they have the deepest left field in the game so maybe they move polanco or marte sometime in the near future.

Meadows is a good problem for them to have.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)
Am I the only one who really really does not want a package centered around Glasnow?

Is obviously prefer Meadows, but Glasnow is legit and gives us 4 of the top 10 or so pitching prospects. Not a terrible place to be.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)
Is obviously prefer Meadows, but Glasnow is legit and gives us 4 of the top 10 or so pitching prospects. Not a terrible place to be.

Glasnow's lack of control is concerning. He could get away with it at the minor league level, but in the majors the walks will haunt him.

I see him having plenty of strikeouts, but a ton of 5 or 6 walk outings as well. Many believe Keller might be the superior prospect now.

I think its great to have fantastic pitching and all but this trade they really have to make the centerpieces of the deal around some elite positional player talent. We already know that they can build pitching but we have sucked for a long time because we have no difference makers on offense. That is what they need to get and if they can do that AND get a pitching prospect in this deal as well? Great.

I would agree as well. With the Pirates, Astros and Yankees as possible suitors for Quintana, there are some top end positional prospects to acquire - Meadows, Bell, Tucker, Torres, Frazier, Rutherford, Mateo. I know you go with best package available to you, but I would have to think the best package includes one of these guys.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
So if it is true (I take this kind of stuff with a grain of salt), then the Sox have an offer they like are and seeing if the Pirates can match it (or beat it)? Reminds me of Sale and Boston kind of.

I have not seen any reports of talks advancing with any particular club. Astros and Pirates seem to be in the mix, with the Yankees lurking.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
I have not seen any reports of talks advancing with any particular club. Astros and Pirates seem to be in the mix, with the Yankees lurking.

I was just basing it off of that one blogger (who seems to have connections but not 100% certain) that posted about the Sox going back to the Pirates' offer.

Remember, you won't always have info from the main guys about a deal being close until it's almost already done really.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
Glasnow's lack of control is concerning. He could get away with it at the minor league level, but in the majors the walks will haunt him.

I see him having plenty of strikeouts, but a ton of 5 or 6 walk outings as well. Many believe Keller might be the superior prospect now.

Rodon had similar problems and cut his walk rate from 4.6/9 to under 3 in his age 23 season...Glasnow will be 23 for most of this year and has barely gotten a taste of the majors so far. How about he gets just a little time to develop? And an even crazier idea, lets see if he actually fails at any point 1st? I agree it's something that should cause some concern, but the idea that we shouldn't want Glasnow is absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
Rodon had similar problems and cut his walk rate from 4.6/9 to under 3 in his age 23 season...Glasnow will be 23 for most of this year and has barely gotten a taste of the majors so far. How about he gets just a little time to develop? And an even crazier idea, lets see if he actually fails at any point 1st? I agree it's something that should cause some concern, but the idea that we shouldn't want Glasnow is absolutely ridiculous.

Completely agree. Hell, if there's one thing sox organization is actually very good at, it's developing pitching.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
No. The only way I want to see a deal with PITT is if we get Meadows back to start it.

It does not have to be Meadows or bust

What if the Sox were hypothetically offered: Glasnow, Keller, Bell, Newman

That is not happening, but how do you reject that offer?

Hard to compare Rodon and Glasnow. Rodon pitched like 30 minor league innings total before thrown into the major league fire while Glasnow has had five pro seasons with pro instruction and his issues walking guys has at best stayed the same. Now I haven't actually seen Glasnow pitch except what scattered video there is on Youtube, so maybe his command has improved and the walk rate just isn't indicating it yet. I kinda doubt that but scouting the stat line has its downfalls.

Just by how I judge guys of Glasnow's profile I see him really as a reliever. Dominant relief pitchers are definitely not worthless, but I'm not trading Jose Quintana for a deal centered around one. Glasnow as the third piece would be outstanding as far as I'm concerned, and in a deal where he is included with Newman and Keller I can envision him as the third piece.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
It does not have to be Meadows or bust

What if the Sox were hypothetically offered: Glasnow, Keller, Bell, Newman

That is not happening, but how do you reject that offer?

By this point in the Sox trade journey you have to have a star potential position player headline a deal. More pitching doesn't help this rebuild, instead it only prolongs it and makes the odds worse of this working

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)

I really like Glasnow as a prospect, but was just mentioning that he has not thrown strikes consistently at all.

Scouting reports suggest he can develop into a #2 or #3 starter if the command comes along

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:31 AM)
I really like Glasnow as a prospect, but was just mentioning that he has not thrown strikes consistently at all.

Scouting reports suggest he can develop into a #2 or #3 starter if the command comes along

If that is the scouting report, I don't know why anyone would trade a #1 or #2 starter signed for 4 years at a bargain for a package headlined by a guy who might be almost as good if everything goes right.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
If that is the scouting report, I don't know why anyone would trade a #1 or #2 starter signed for 4 years at a bargain for a package headlined by a guy who might be almost as good if everything goes right.

Well I think it would be because you are getting 2 additional cheap years of control (might benefit us more than someone on a 4-year deal) and 3-4 additional pieces.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:30 AM)
By this point in the Sox trade journey you have to have a star potential position player headline a deal. More pitching doesn't help this rebuild, instead it only prolongs it and makes the odds worse of this working

I'd take that package all day

Bell and Newman project to be solid, even if unspectacular mlb regular and I'll roll with the potential of Keller and Glasnow anyday

I want position player just as much as every Sox fan does, but you can never have too much pitching. Not all of our prospects will pan out, especially as starters. Building up potential bullpen arms is important too

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)

It would be Glasnow +++ with significantly more coming to the White Sox

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
I'd take that package all day

Bell and Newman project to be solid, even if unspectacular mlb regular and I'll roll with the potential of Keller and Glasnow anyday

I want position player just as much as every Sox fan does, but you can never have too much pitching. Not all of our prospects will pan out, especially as starters. Building up potential bullpen arms is important too

At some point you run into diminishing returns for sure. You only have so many slots in the minors and so much instruction time that you can give out.

It also completely ignores that a lack of positional talent is what got us to this point in the first place and we are back to trusting this team to draft and develop position players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)

By that logic, the Sox can't make a trade with the Astros either. Assuming Bregman isn't available, you get a package headlined by Martes and then Tucker. Tucker could be a star prospect, but he isn't there yet. It's basically Meadows or bust unless the Yankees or the Cubs get into the action...

Ultimately, I think a Glasnow, Newman, Keller, Hayes deal would do it for me. Newman is a top 50 position prospect. Hayes probably isn't far outside the top 100, and you get two more premium arms back in the deal.