Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
Is Kopech really that far away? I was under the assumption that he would be in Chicago some time in 2018.

He may, but he's still going to have significant innings limits on that point. He is 20 and has never pitched above 65 innings.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
Is Kopech really that far away? I was under the assumption that he would be in Chicago some time in 2018.

He only pitched 65 innings last year. It's going to take him at least 2 to build up the innings to be a full time starter.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)
He only pitched 65 innings last year. It's going to take him at least 2 to build up the innings to be a full time starter.

Kopech is easily 2+ years away from being mlb ready

Right now he really needs to work on maturity, control and his secondary pitches. He has not pitched many minor league innings and still is pretty raw overall.

He has quite a bit of ability, but he also might be the most likely to bust of our pitching prospects.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:53 PM)

Actually, 65 innings was in 2015. He only threw about 56 last season (2016). So yeah not very close at all. 2+ at best.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 05:14 PM)
Kopech is easily 2+ years away from being mlb ready

Right now he really needs to work on maturity, control and his secondary pitches. He has not pitched many minor league innings and still is pretty raw overall.

He has quite a bit of ability, but he also might be the most likely to bust of our pitching prospects.

Kopech dominated in A+ last year and is slated for AA this year, which hopefully means AAA next year, or earlier. He is mature; just look at his hair.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
Actually, 65 innings was in 2015. He only threw about 56 last season (2016). So yeah not very close at all. 2+ at best.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a cup of coffee in 2018 assuming everything goes right, but mid to late 2019 seems much more reasonable with the work load needed, and the guys in front of him.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)

Two years ago suspended for amphetamines and last year broke his hand when slugging his roommate. What stupid thing is next to delay his development.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)
Kopech dominated in A+ last year and is slated for AA this year, which hopefully means AAA next year, or earlier. He is mature; just look at his hair.

He dominated because his stuff is unlike any other at that level. I really hope the Sox don't do their classic rush job on him. He had a very high 5.3 BB/9 last year which signifies to me he's still learning how to pitch. The stuff is there, now he needs to learn how to harness it and not just throw it by guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 03:50 PM)
I very much disagree. Put 5 out there and you expect they'll need time, and you expect that just from draftees/signees you'll continue to have some supply of pitching coming up more gradually. And if 1 of them falls flat...not only is finding a 5th starter typically fairly cheap, but you don't use them in the playoffs anyway.

True. however, that is if you aren't looking for quality. If the sox go the way they are now, they will have 5 really good ones and if they have more quality all the better for trades. If they have more quality pitchers than needed in the post season, they pitch the 4 pitching the best in the rotation and the 5th deepens the bullpen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 04:33 PM)
I wouldn't be shocked to see a cup of coffee in 2018 assuming everything goes right, but mid to late 2019 seems much more reasonable with the work load needed, and the guys in front of him.

Possibly, He will be on a innings limit that probably won't allow much in 2018.

edit: They will probably target no more than 130 innings or so in 2018

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
Possibly, He will be on a innings limit that probably won't allow much in 2018.

edit: They will probably target no more than 130 innings or so in 2018

This is still the White Sox. Barring injury/punching something I think you're under by a good amount, and I don't think i'll get bent out of shape if they push him more aggressively than that.

QUOTE (OnlyGillis @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 10:42 PM)
Two years ago suspended for amphetamines and last year broke his hand when slugging his roommate. What stupid thing is next to delay his development.

Everyone says he was justified in regards to fighting his teammate

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
This is still the White Sox. Barring injury/punching something I think you're under by a good amount, and I don't think i'll get bent out of shape if they push him more aggressively than that.

I think the White sox have been pretty conservative with pitchers and innings increases, not necessarily with promotions though. Things we saw with Rodon and Fulmer, I don't think they will push his innings too quickly.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 07:04 PM)
I think the White sox have been pretty conservative with pitchers and innings increases, not necessarily with promotions though. Things we saw with Rodon and Fulmer, I don't think they will push his innings too quickly.

Montas went from 81 (injury related) to 127 with a big league callup/bullpen outings between age 21/22, which seems like a fair comp and the most reasonable one I can recently remember where they got into our system at upper levels without a big innings load.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 06:22 PM)
Montas went from 81 (injury related) to 127 with a big league callup/bullpen outings between age 21/22, which seems like a fair comp and the most reasonable one I can recently remember where they got into our system at upper levels without a big innings load.

That's an example, just like rodon and Fulmer show another. Each situation is different. With the abundance of pitching prospects, I don't think they will feel the need to push him too hard with innings.

Not to belabour the Cubs' stocking up of talent point:

But they turned Soler at least into Wade Davis for a one year rental

Vogelbach to the Mariners for Montgomery

The Chapman trade for Torres/McKinney

So why is the White Sox "pitching depth" actually a problem?

The Cubs STILL have Happ and Jimenez, not to mention Candelario with no clear path to the majors.

Schwarber/Baez all have playing time limitations due to TOO MUCH DEPTH...we'll see with Contreras, but he looks like he'll get at least 130-140 games at catcher.

At any rate, they'll address their pitching weaknesses as needed. As long as they keep producing position players who make valuable contributions at the big league level, they'll continue to find trading partners for pitching help.