Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 05:36 PM)
Yeah said he'd love to stay in Chicago. I think Hammel can find a two year deal though and I doubt we give it up.

He can, but any team is going to mitigate risk over a 2 year deal. If you are Hammel, are you going to take a 2 year, $20 mill deal or a 1 year, $12 mill deal? He's made a bunch of money, but if he can prove capable down the stretch, he's making himself even more next year, even if that is still just a 2 year deal. I think he'd rather sign a 1 year deal.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joel Sherman made a point on MLB Now - the Yankees are coming up on a lot of players who will need to be protected while protecting the assets the currently have. There are ways of dealing with that given situation that allow you to maximize your long term value, but you lose current value. The Yanks look like a team ready to spend heavily going into 2018. They'd rather keep their current MLB value, so it follows that logic.

I don't know much about the Yankees system other than that Torres, Frazier, and like Severino, but I know they have a good system and they have a strong need. Cashman is the longest tenured GM for a reason.

(Sabean and Beane are both probably final decision makers, but they are not GMs. Cashman is)

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 11:46 PM)
The issue with Albies is less his position and more his total lack of power. I know he just turned 20 and that down the road he can probably develop some more pop, but right now the Sox need to be focusing more on players with complete offensive games.

It's a shame because I love players of Albies' profile, quick little guys with contact swings and great defense are the baseballiest ballplayers around. Maybe there's a way to make it all work with Albies displacing Anderson (do not like displacing Anderson) or Moncada (only worth exploring if they are certain Moncada will thrive in CF), but that seems like a longshot.

You collect everyone and anyone that has a high ceiling. Albies is a good player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 12:33 AM)
Joel Sherman made a point on MLB Now - the Yankees are coming up on a lot of players who will need to be protected while protecting the assets the currently have. There are ways of dealing with that given situation that allow you to maximize your long term value, but you lose current value. The Yanks look like a team ready to spend heavily going into 2018. They'd rather keep their current MLB value, so it follows that logic.

I don't know much about the Yankees system other than that Torres, Frazier, and like Severino, but I know they have a good system and they have a strong need. Cashman is the longest tenured GM for a reason.

(Sabean and Beane are both probably final decision makers, but they are not GMs. Cashman is)

Yeah I've said this before and I'll say it again. I doubt Yankees are lookong to deal anyone right now. They can deal pieces in June or July (Tanaka, Holliday, etc) if they are producing and look to add a pitcher or two in free agency next off season.

Edit: I'd love to be proven wrong and see them deal 4-5 guys to us lol but just don't see it.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 09:17 PM)
Been wanting to do this for a while to kinda break it down...So here's the top 20 hitting prospects according to mlb pipelline. Personally I think it's pretty important to get 1 of these guys for Q...only problem is there just aren't many that are available when you look at it like this.

1-Moncada- Already got him

2-JP Crawford- won't be traded

3-Swanson- won't be traded

4-Benintendi- not trading with the Red Sox again

5-Brendan Rodgers

6-Austin Meadows

7-Victor Robles- Don't see the Nats going for Q

8-Amed Rosario- Don't see the Mets trading for a SP

9-Ozie Albies

10-Lewis Brinson- Brewers aren't buying

11-Clint Frazier

12-Rafael Devers- not trading with the Red Sox again

13-Gleyber Torres

14-Jorge Mateo

15-Willy Adams- Rays aren't buying

16-Josh Bell

17-Ian Happ- Ehh? Thought about bolding him, but don't see a Cubs trade happening

18-Aaron Judge- Will the Yankees even trade him?

19-Eloy Jimenez- see above

20-Mickey Moniak- Phillies aren't buying

Would anybody do a Yankees deal without Torres or Frazier? Mateo, Rutherford, Sheffield and Fowler? I know it seems light at 1st glance but that's #18, 51, and 78 + a decent CF prospect in Fowler.

Rodgers, Frazier, Meadows and Bell would be the ones I'd prefer. No interest at all in Mateo.

I don't get why people would want Maitan as a major piece in a Braves deal. The kid is 16 years old! Way too risky for me, considering the slam dunk certainty of Quintana the Sox would be giving up. There is plenty of high end prospect talent available without taking on someone so far away who has an enormous bust risk. I know he wouldn't necessarily be a centerpiece, but still, he'd cost a lot to acquire thus lessening other parts of the package, and it wouldn't be my game plan.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
Rodgers, Frazier, Meadows and Bell would be the ones I'd prefer. No interest at all in Mateo.

I don't get why people would want Maitan as a major piece in a Braves deal. The kid is 16 years old! Way too risky for me, considering the slam dunk certainty of Quintana the Sox would be giving up. There is plenty of high end prospect talent available without taking on someone so far away who has an enormous bust risk. I know he wouldn't necessarily be a centerpiece, but still, he'd cost a lot to acquire thus lessening other parts of the package, and it wouldn't be my game plan.

I'd take Mateo over Bell...A prospect that is limited to 1B defensively that had a .454 SLG% and only 44 HR's in over 2,000 PA's in the minors is a huge red flag to me. Surprised it isn't for more people honestly.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)

Nobody wants to say no to a 16 year old Miguel Cabrera. If you are getting Albies. Could he flame out? They all could flame out. But hard to read "best venezuelan prospect since Cabrera" and not get excited:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...hpZ2XSqxb5PA.97

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 11:13 PM)
I think Kyle Tucker will be on that list by mid-season next year. And A.J. Reed would have been on this list 12 months ago before he had a rough first go in the majors (one that is remarkably similar to Anthony Rizzo's) which has greatly suppressed his value. Give me those two guys plus Martes & a lottery ticket (who could a decent prospect considering the Astros' depth) and I think you have the framework of a very solid deal and one that gets us two good looking bats.

Little early to declare Tucker a slam dunk to be a top 20 prospect for me...he needs to actually put up some #'s this year as he's nothing but potential so far. Obviously he's still extremely young and he's certainly capable of doing it, I'm just not sure anyone knows exactly what his potential is right now.

And something tells me that an offer like this would have been on the table by now if it was a viable 1...either the Astros don't want to give up 1 of those guys or the Sox aren't that interested in 1 of them. The fact that the Astros are such an obvious destination for Q and nothing has even even got close tells me something is wrong there. That's just me guessing of course...

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
I'd take Mateo over Bell...A prospect that is limited to 1B defensively that had a .454 SLG% and only 44 HR's in over 2,000 PA's in the minors is a huge red flag to me. Surprised it isn't for more people honestly.

There is good value to an advanced hit tool in a switch hitter along with a high OBP. He profiles as a guy like Mark Grace who was routinely bashed for a lack of power but led the 90's in hits. I would take that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
There is good value to an advanced hit tool in a switch hitter along with a high OBP. He profiles as a guy like Mark Grace who was routinely bashed for a lack of power but led the 90's in hits. I would take that.

Yes, I agree with this. Power guys are nice and every team needs them, but you also need the guys that that can hit for average and just seem to know how to get on base.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 09:42 AM)
Yes, I agree with this. Power guys are nice and every team needs them, but you also need the guys that that can hit for average and just seem to know how to get on base.

OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Francis Martes, 1B AJ Reed, and OF Ramon Laureano is a nice package from Houston. That's a deal I'd probably make. That probably hasn't been offered though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)

Yeah I recognize that. I'm not trying to bash him as an overall prospect/player, I do think he will be able to be a fine regular and I wouldn't be at all upset if we acquired him...He just wouldn't be an ideal #1 hitting prospect we get back for Q in my opinion. I question what his ceiling is, especially if he doesn't become at least an above average defender at 1B.. Mark Grace would be an ideal scenario for Bell, but he could also be Lyle Overbay.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 08:47 AM)
OF Kyle Tucker, RHP Francis Martes, 1B AJ Reed, and OF Ramon Laureano is a nice package from Houston. That's a deal I'd probably make. That probably hasn't been offered though.

Not at all interested in Reed, but anything that starts with Tucker and Martes is automatic for me. Get it done.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
Nobody wants to say no to a 16 year old Miguel Cabrera. If you are getting Albies. Could he flame out? They all could flame out. But hard to read "best venezuelan prospect since Cabrera" and not get excited:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...hpZ2XSqxb5PA.97

Bingo. I have also seen him described as a generational talent. If the goal is to get as much talent into the system as possible, AND you trust your Latin American scouts and program, this guy should be at the top of your target list, age 16 or not.

New Olney article that pirates should pay up for Quintana

http://insider.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/...r/post?id=15730

Nobody should make decisions just on what their fans want, but I don't think there has been any other org rumored that has as much cover to trade top prospects as the pirates, whom everyone agrees are suited to do so

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
Yeah I recognize that. I'm not trying to bash him as an overall prospect/player, I do think he will be able to be a fine regular and I wouldn't be at all upset if we acquired him...He just wouldn't be an ideal #1 hitting prospect we get back for Q in my opinion. I question what his ceiling is, especially if he doesn't become at least an above average defender at 1B.. Mark Grace would be an ideal scenario for Bell, but he could also be Lyle Overbay.

nothing wrong with that either, most of the prospects won't have any success in the MLB. I agree that he shouldn't be the main piece in a trade but I don't think he would be. Sounds more like Glasnow would be.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
nothing wrong with that either, most of the prospects won't have any success in the MLB. I agree that he shouldn't be the main piece in a trade but I don't think he would be. Sounds more like Glasnow would be.

Glasnow, Newman, Hayes and Diaz would be a pretty good return from where I'm sitting if the Pirates insist on not including Meadows. The only issue I can see with Newman is whether he's ultimately blocked by Anderson and Moncada. I'd love Bell as a second piece, but would be pretty surprised if the Pirates moved him.

My preference is SS, CA, CF, SP. My wish list for two main pieces:

1. Yankees - Torres, Rutherford

2. Rockies - Rodgers, Dahl/Tapia

3. Pirates - Meadows, Glasnow

4. Astros - Martes, Tucker

The Astros have the least exciting top 2 main pieces but they have a lot to offer with additional pieces. A lot of B/B+ prospects http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/12/...spects-for-2017

I don't like the Pirates as a partner if the second piece is Bell. 1B, DH, and corner OF positions are the most plentiful in the market every year.

QUOTE (striker @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 10:57 AM)
My preference is SS, CA, CF, SP. My wish list for two main pieces:

1. Yankees - Torres, Rutherford

2. Rockies - Rodgers, Dahl/Tapia

3. Pirates - Meadows, Glasnow

4. Astros - Martes, Tucker

The Astros have the least exciting top 2 main pieces but they have a lot to offer with additional pieces. A lot of B/B+ prospects http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/12/12/...spects-for-2017

I don't like the Pirates as a partner if the second piece is Bell. 1B, DH, and corner OF positions are the most plentiful in the market every year.

Realistically all four of those teams, plus teams like the Dodgers, Cubs, and A's have the pieces to get a deal done, if they wanted to have a deal done today. It is just a matter of who will be willing to push the pieces in to get a deal done.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jan 4, 2017 -> 09:27 PM)
Acuna is tearing up winter league (take it fwiw), so I'd def want him in any package. Albies, Maitan, Acuna, and Soroka?

I think the deal would be closer to Albies, one of Maitain/Acuna/Demeritte, Fried/Wentz, lottery ticket.

I would consider Josh Bell to be an extremely high-end second piece in a Q trade. He's basically MLB ready and I think the risk is relatively low. How realistic is the chatter about him playing an OF corner? I haven't seen the guy move around enough to know if that's plausible.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
Glasnow, Newman, Hayes and Diaz would be a pretty good return from where I'm sitting if the Pirates insist on not including Meadows. The only issue I can see with Newman is whether he's ultimately blocked by Anderson and Moncada. I'd love Bell as a second piece, but would be pretty surprised if the Pirates moved him.

That is underwhelming IMO. We'd need 5 pieces in that deal. I'd rather trade with the Astros if we are going for quantity over quality.