Sox holding talks "daily" on Q

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
Glasnow, Newman, Hayes and Diaz would be a pretty good return from where I'm sitting if the Pirates insist on not including Meadows. The only issue I can see with Newman is whether he's ultimately blocked by Anderson and Moncada. I'd love Bell as a second piece, but would be pretty surprised if the Pirates moved him.

I would not be worried about having too many quality up the middle players. If Newman can play you can find another position for either Anderson or Moncada. I am still not really sold that Anderson is going to make it as a ML player.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
I would not be worried about having too many quality up the middle players. If Newman can play you can find another position for either Anderson or Moncada. I am still not really sold that Anderson is going to make it as a ML player.

I think you will be sold on Anderson 6 months from now. Hope I'm right.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
I think you will be sold on Anderson 6 months from now. Hope I'm right.

I hope you are too, his walk rate is just soo low and has been at every level, and is OSwing is pretty high ration against his Zswing that make me think he will have pitche recognition and contact issues. I think he is a great athlete, and has a chance to be a good hitter, but the majors is a bad place to learn plate discipline.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
I hope you are too, his walk rate is just soo low and has been at every level, and is OSwing is pretty high ration against his Zswing that make me think he will have pitche recognition and contact issues. I think he is a great athlete, and has a chance to be a good hitter, but the majors is a bad place to learn plate discipline.

It's just the White Sox were sooo aggressive with him. Any other team probably doubles him up at AA or gives him a full year at AAA. That he hasn't fallen on his face at any level is encouraging that he improves.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 03:21 PM)
It's just the White Sox were sooo aggressive with him. Any other team probably doubles him up at AA or gives him a full year at AAA. That he hasn't fallen on his face at any level is encouraging that he improves.

I don't think they were aggressive with him at all.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
I don't think they were aggressive with him at all.

Agreed - I mean maybe a tad aggressive because they had a real need at SS last year and after their hot start needed him there. But the guy had nearly 1,500 PA in the minors. This wasn't a Gordon Beckham rush job.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
Agreed - I mean maybe a tad aggressive because they had a real need at SS last year and after their hot start needed him there. But the guy had nearly 1,500 PA in the minors. This wasn't a Gordon Beckham rush job.

Except Gordon Beckham was a 3 year SEC college starter, Tim anderson was a juco player in an obscure league in rural mississippi with 3 years of baseball experience. He may not have been white sox rushed but compared to other orgs he was moved aggressively.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)

I think that Tim Anderson can, especially if his defense doesn't fall off, easily be a 2-3 WAR shortstop in the big leagues without making major adjustments at the plate. I was expecting far worse from him defensively last year and that turned out to be a strength for him even with a moderately low fielding %age (which could improve with work and a different coaching staff). Let's assume that BABIP and ISO both drop mildly into more normal ranges next year - he's still fast so his baserunning won't be bad, and if his defense stays where it is then he's a 3 WAR shortstop, 2 WAR if his defense falls off a bit.

Here's the question - he needs to improve with the bats to become an all star shortstop. I have no issues running him out there as a "slightly above average player" which is where he is with his current D. Slightly above average players under team control for 6 years are really useful!

When we're talking about him needing to become a more patient player...improving his approach at the plate would give him the chance to move up to a 4-5 WAR player where you're talking about him as one of the top 5 or so shortstops in baseball. I think he has as good of a chance as anyone we've seen in a while to do that, but I won't be convinced until he does that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
I think that Tim Anderson can, especially if his defense doesn't fall off, easily be a 2-3 WAR shortstop in the big leagues without making major adjustments at the plate. I was expecting far worse from him defensively last year and that turned out to be a strength for him even with a moderately low fielding %age (which could improve with work and a different coaching staff). Let's assume that BABIP and ISO both drop mildly into more normal ranges next year - he's still fast so his baserunning won't be bad, and if his defense stays where it is then he's a 3 WAR shortstop, 2 WAR if his defense falls off a bit.

Here's the question - he needs to improve with the bats to become an all star shortstop. I have no issues running him out there as a "slightly above average player" which is where he is with his current D. Slightly above average players under team control for 6 years are really useful!

When we're talking about him needing to become a more patient player...improving his approach at the plate would give him the chance to move up to a 4-5 WAR player where you're talking about him as one of the top 5 or so shortstops in baseball. I think he has as good of a chance as anyone we've seen in a while to do that, but I won't be convinced until he does that.

I just think he can be an elite fielding Didi Gregorious, certainly less HR power but can make up with more doubles/triples. And with the amount of SS talent, I don't know that TA will be a top 5 SS, and you know, I think we'll talk about him the way the pirates talked about neal walker for years. Not an all star, not just "solid" either.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
I think it's relevant in this thread, but the Rays turned down a Martes, Tucker, Paulino ++ for Archer. That is crazy.

It has been great news for sox that the only truly comparable asset was on the Rays, who are not going to undercut the sox to take the slightly under deal. Rays are benefiting from sox benchmarks being high, sox are benefitting from Rays asks ALWAYS being higher than sox.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 03:45 PM)
I think it's relevant in this thread, but the Rays turned down a Martes, Tucker, Paulino ++ for Archer. That is crazy.

Well, that means they've moved in the right direction. Maybe they're willing to do Martes, Tucker, Reed, Stubbs for Q, now.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)
Where was this reported?

From a comment I also saw on Crawfish Boxes, it reports Peter Gammons said it on MLB network:

'Stros of Crush City @Astros_Arsenal

Gammons just said on MLBN Luhnow went to Rays and said Tucker/Martes/Paulino + 2 more prospects for Archer. Rays said no. Very surprising

10:32 AM - 4 Jan 2017

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 04:07 PM)
The Stros may like Archer more than Q.

It's funny.

Q is better than Archer, left handed, younger, and has been a workhorse in the bigs for longer. He has one less year of control.

And the Astros offered a larger package than the one that the Sox asked for for Archer. Velocity must mean everything.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
It's funny.

Q is better than Archer, left handed, younger, and has been a workhorse in the bigs for longer. He has one less year of control.

And the Astros offered a larger package than the one that the Sox asked for for Archer. Velocity must mean everything.

Ya never know, they may just value Musgrove, an actual MLB pitcher, just that much more than Paulino.