2017 All-Soccer Thread

Winning some road games in CONCACAF would be a great start. It seems like they already have the excuses ready before the game starts and are ecstatic with a tie every single time. If you can beat Honduras and Panama 6-0 or 4-0 at home, there is no reason you can't beat them on the road too, I don't care how different the conditions are. Not counting a 6-0 win @ St. Vincent, they got 4 points from 7 road games in this last qualifying cycle, and that includes two games vs. T & T and a game at Guatemala. Even when they qualified 4 years ago, I remember needing an injury time goal from Eddie Johnson just to freaking beat Antigua.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 08:37 AM)
Winning some road games in CONCACAF would be a great start. It seems like they already have the excuses ready before the game starts and are ecstatic with a tie every single time. If you can beat Honduras and Panama 6-0 or 4-0 at home, there is no reason you can't beat them on the road too, I don't care how different the conditions are. Not counting a 6-0 win @ St. Vincent, they got 4 points from 7 road games in this last qualifying cycle, and that includes two games vs. T & T and a game at Guatemala. Even when they qualified 4 years ago, I remember needing an injury time goal from Eddie Johnson just to freaking beat Antigua.

The US in previous Hex groups have been able to take a win or two on the road and not lose at home. That's really the difference between the US, Mexico and Costa Rica vs everyone else in CONCACAF. But this qualification we didn't win any road games and lost 2 home matches. Throw out the road matches at CR and Mexico and this team scored just once in each game against Honduras, TT and Panama. Those three teams are not good, weakest Hex in years.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (aryzner @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
4-time World Cup Champions Italy have just missed out on the World Cup. Sweden going, Italy out.

If USMNT players think American criticism is bad, that's nothing compared to what these Italian players will get from their media.

It's the World Cup. Wouldn't it make more sense to let every team in? Why make teams qualify and risk some of the big countries missing out?

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 06:27 PM)
It's the World Cup. Wouldn't it make more sense to let every team in? Why make teams qualify and risk some of the big countries missing out?

Technically every country has the opportunity to qualify for the tournament, that's why I enjoy the whole qualifying cycle even more than the actual tournament.

The hardest thing is making it a worldwide tournament vs letting all the best teams in, because they are almost all concentrated on Europe and South America.

They are increasing it to a 48 team tourney in 2022.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 17, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
2026 is the expansion. There's one more World Cup with 32 teams after Russia next year.

Whoops, I missed that, my bad.

World Cup Groups announced today. Poland gets Colombia, Senegal, and Japan, definitely seems advance able for them.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DP-VJyiWkAAmYvQ.jpg:large