Update: Luis Robert has been cleared according to Rosenthal

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 5, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
No but you know as well as anyone that JR has always pushed to keep the league as a more fair playing field by restricting spending. If there are rules or practices to restrict spending (penalties) he will rarely go beyond this.

He has made exceptions. Not many, but a few. If he ever was going to do this, now is the time. Most of the big boys are out, and it is really the last time for this situation. If the White Sox scouts think he is as good as advertised, not making an effort if he is declared befor 6/15 would be shameful. This is getting another key piece in a Sale, Eaton, Q trade for money. If the guy got Moncada money, I wouldn't blame the White Sox for backing out. But the restriction the next 2 periods as an excuse would be pretty sad.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
He has made exceptions. Not many, but a few. If he ever was going to do this, now is the time. Most of the big boys are out, and it is really the last time for this situation. If the White Sox scouts think he is as good as advertised, not making an effort if he is declared befor 6/15 would be shameful. This is getting another key piece in a Sale, Eaton, Q trade for money. If the guy got Moncada money, I wouldn't blame the White Sox for backing out. But the restriction the next 2 periods as an excuse would be pretty sad.

I agree with all of this. however, the odds of it happening aren't good because he doesn't do it often. As you said, hopefully he does see this as an exception.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 5, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
I agree with all of this. however, the odds of it happening aren't good because he doesn't do it often. As you said, hopefully he does see this as an exception.

Even if he contemplated it whoever is left in the bidding will push the contract into untouchable limits. If the Sox sign him you can all say I was wrong but it ain't gonna happen. Now if the Sox trade for some extra money I may change my tune.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 5, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
That would be phenomenal.

Cardinals in the hunt too and signed Robert's best friend and "guide" in jose garcia so let's hope Ynoa, coupled w Moncada and Abreu tips the familiarity portion of his decision in our favor

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
His closest friend is the almighty dollar. Whatever deal offers the most cheddar is where he'll sign.

Sox do present a good opportunity to break the mlb roster sooner, rather than later

I could see the Sox being willing to spend to get Robert if they think he is an impact talent

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
Sox do present a good opportunity to break the mlb roster sooner, rather than later

I could see the Sox being willing to spend to get Robert if they think he is an impact talent

They certainly have nothing to lose by signing him. *fingers crossed*

His closest friend is the almighty dollar. Whatever deal offers the most cheddar is where he'll sign.

Ha, I was trying to figure out a way to post this yesterday, yours was much better.

There's obviously some exceptions (I seem to remember Soler AND why can't I remember the Japanese player who played for cubs) took less to sign with Cubs.

But, I certainly don't want to rely on that.

As long as we are talking about after June 15, the money will be pretty close. Then the White Sox have a pretty nice list of reasons to fall back on as advantages for a player like Robert to come here. Before that date, money can be a huge factor, and probably will be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 09:53 AM)
This is actually a pretty solid point. Under the new signing rules there won't be much difference in what teams can offer in terms of pay. If you start looking at secondary factors, the White Sox might be the top landings spot in all of baseball.

They have a history of being good to Cuban players, and they have done it multiple times. Alexei, Dayan, Abreu, etc have all gotten long term playing time, and very solid careers here where they made a lot of money.

We have a Bi-lingual manager that thinks in Spanish as well as he thinks in English. On top of that, they have really integrated Spanish speakers and translators all over their minor league system, as well as the ability for players to learn English too.

We have a very solid core of Spanish players starting out at the youngest ages in the DSL going all of the way up to vets like Jose Quintana and Jose Abreu. Our rookie ball team had a HUGE number of players from Latin America and that group is starting to push through the minors. Some are up to High A ball as the end of last season.

As long as he is still here, having an established Cuban star like Abreu to mentor the guy could be huge. Plus having Moncada in the pipeline these guys can all give cultural insight that no one else can, and they exist not only in the majors, but in the minors too.

The White Sox are still pretty devoid of minor league position player prospects, and their MLB starters are all guys who could be gone very soon.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
As long as we are talking about after June 15, the money will be pretty close. Then the White Sox have a pretty nice list of reasons to fall back on as advantages for a player like Robert to come here. Before that date, money can be a huge factor, and probably will be.

Similar rule change is what let us get Rodon, once they put the cap limit in the draft.

Sox are practically baseball's Little Havana.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Similar rule change is what let us get Rodon, once they put the cap limit in the draft.

Sox are practically baseball's Little Havana.

Not sure that is close to being true anymore. Yes, they still have Abreu, Moncada, and ~Rodon, but the Dodgers are probably the team with that claim at this point.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)
Not sure that is close to being true anymore. Yes, they still have Abreu, Moncada, and ~Rodon, but the Dodgers are probably the team with that claim at this point.

I'm including the teams history. Abreu told me that weighed on his decision.

Here's an old proof of concept for my documentary where he says it, password is "minnie".

The Cuban Comet from Daniel Shapiro on Vimeo.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 11:33 AM)

With as bad of situations have been in LA (Puig's war with the organization, multiple guys washing out quickly, guys being traded very quickly, Alex Guerrero's situation dragging out for three years), I'm not sure their reputation is a positive thing... other than they used to be willing to hand out tons of cash.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 12:24 PM)
Doesn't matter. Unless this guy is willing to take $300k, the Dodgers are out.

I don't think anyone is getting at them being an option for him. Just a team that someone was countering to the "Little Havana" comment on the other page.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)

What are the odds he is cleared to sign before the 15th? I seem to recall reading somewhere that he had a very good chance of being cleared to sign before the 15th, which would mean the Sox chances are significantly lower, right?

QUOTE (Special K @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 09:23 PM)
What are the odds he is cleared to sign before the 15th? I seem to recall reading somewhere that he had a very good chance of being cleared to sign before the 15th, which would mean the Sox chances are significantly lower, right?

The Ben Badler article seemed to indicate they are well positioned either way.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
Ha, I was trying to figure out a way to post this yesterday, yours was much better.

There's obviously some exceptions (I seem to remember Soler AND why can't I remember the Japanese player who played for cubs) took less to sign with Cubs.

But, I certainly don't want to rely on that.

Fukudome became a free agent in November 2007. On December 11, 2007, the Chicago Cubs signed Fukudome to a four-year, $48 million contract.[1] Fukudome said in an interview that one of the main reasons he chose the Chicago Cubs over the other three teams trying to sign him to their roster was because he wanted to be the first Japanese player to play for the team. He also thought Chicago had a great Japanese community, and that it was a great place to raise his children.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 09:39 PM)
The Ben Badler article seemed to indicate they are well positioned either way.

Well, if you read the whole article, it indicates they are favorites ONLY if he's cleared after July 2nd. Lists Cardinals and Padres as favorites otherwise. It's a poorly titled article in other words.

Edited by soxfan2014

• 4 weeks later...

New reports on the White Sox international signings are up at Baseball America: https://t.co/j98MbHQwa5

https://twitter.com/BenBadler/status/847133476637822976

Like all teams, #WhiteSox will attend Luis Robert's Thurs workout. Think they intend to be in mix no matter if he's in 6/15 class or 7/2. https://t.co/TULBZZl3ek

https://twitter.com/CSNHayes/status/847266091982127105

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 09:10 PM)
Ugh, this quote hurts:

While I don't believe his stock has risen that much, it really sucks that we gave up our best amateur signing under Paddy for James f***ing Shields. Pretty evident that SD had better scouting reports on him than we did.

He was our own player and we can't evaluate him properly!