Fansided 2017 Top 125 MLB Prospects

steveno89

I do still believe in Fulmer but the White Sox didn't do him any favors last year. It was obvious he was uncomfortable in the bullpen role last year and was overthrowing. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do this year as a starter where he has previously excelled.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
I can't think of any prospects that have ever been rushed and ruined. Is this guy going to say Beckham? LO freaking L if that's an example.

When a majority of prospects do fail you can always come up with reasons why they did. It's always impossible to say that a prospect who was rushed was truly ruined by it, but then again it's impossible to say that a prospect who is rushed and fails wasn't broken by that.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
I can't think of any prospects that have ever been rushed and ruined. Is this guy going to say Beckham? LO freaking L if that's an example.

I would say Courtney Hawkins, unless you mean rushed to the majors, in which case Beckham was not a failed prospect, but certainly fell short of expectations he set after his rookie year.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 01:28 AM)
I would say Courtney Hawkins, unless you mean rushed to the majors, in which case Beckham was not a failed prospect, but certainly fell short of expectations he set after his rookie year.

Nonsense. After 5 years, he strikes out waaay too much. He is not nearly good enough, never really was.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 07:30 AM)
Nonsense. After 5 years, he strikes out waaay too much. He is not nearly good enough, never really was.

Interesting to see how highly they thought of Lopez and kopech

Collins is nearing top 50 territory as well

Hansen and fuller could end up in the top 100 by mid season

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:28 AM)
I would say Courtney Hawkins

I'll never forget there were even scouts (or was it a couple of scouting departments of different orgs?) who questioned why that kid was in high A after only 72 PA in low A.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
I'll never forget there were even scouts (or was it a couple of scouting departments of different orgs?) who questioned why that kid was in high A after only 72 PA in low A.

The 2012 draft is frustrating in retrospect because players like giolito, wacha, seager and stroganoff were all selected shortly after Hawkins

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)

Even Beckham had his best season his rookie year. I tend to agree with you. The Sox haven't wrecked a lot of players, IMHO. More likely than not, they have been drafting poor talent.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
Lol, I thought the same thing. Assuming he meant Stroman.

In watching this I am not sure I am as high on Kopech as I was before. This is him during the AFL this past fall. He does strike out Ian Happ twice, but seems to really struggle to get his fastball and slider over the plate. Several wild pitches, and the catcher throws out two runners at second on stolen bases.

Explosive fastball 70-75 grade, fringe plus slider 50-55 grade, 40 grade control in my eyes

He's a really risky prospect, but the Sox tend to develop pitchers pretty well

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 04:30 PM)

In watching this I am not sure I am as high on Kopech as I was before. This is him during the AFL this past fall. He does strike out Ian Happ twice, but seems to really struggle to get his fastball and slider over the plate. Several wild pitches, and the catcher throws out two runners at second on stolen bases.

Explosive fastball 70-75 grade, fringe plus slider 50-55 grade, 40 grade control in my eyes

He's a really risky prospect, but the Sox tend to develop pitchers pretty well

Not to demean your scouting eye, but this was one performance in the Arizona Fall League. That is way too small a sample size to conclude anything of significance.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)
Not to demean your scouting eye, but this was one performance in the Arizona Fall League. That is way too small a sample size to conclude anything of significance.

That's true. But, it does mesh with what I've read in a few places now - Kopech doesn't have very good command of any of his pitches yet. He needs development. But that's not at all unusual, even for high end prospects, at his level and stage of development.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)

I am not suggesting that is an overall scouting report, but just based off of what we can see in his most recent game action

He does not display much control in the video. The fastball is really good, albeit poorly located. The slider flashes 55, but is inconsistent. Control is below average

Kopech is a talented project that will need 2 full minor league seasons of development at least