2017 Music thread

BlackSox13

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MEANS @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
Yup, great band and I also will be seeing them open for QOTSA in Oct. I do like their first album a bit more right now but haven't gotten to listen to the new one enough.

I've probably listened ot the new one at least 50 times given it's my running album right now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
I've probably listened ot the new one at least 50 times given it's my running album right now.

I f***ing love Royal Blood. Second album has a bit different sound than the first but, after a few listens I was loving it and its been on constantly for me since it was released. So good.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Anyone know anything about this Catfish band that is opening for Green Day? Any songs you would recommend?

Yes, they're one of my favorite bands. If you want their more popular songs, there's Cocoon, Kathleen, and 7. My favorite songs of theirs that aren't very popular (to my knowledge) are Anything, Twice, and Fallout.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 07:48 AM)
Music interests are so all over the place that this thread doesn't get the play it could. Makes sense.

Anyway, the new Royal Blood album "How Did We Get So Dark" is f***ing awesome. These guys are currently carrying the "best new rock band" torch for me. Awesome jams, great vocals.

Play the first song and you'll be hooked for the rest. This is their second official album.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3Rz6kF8eGqrDOEteo5YsBj

Saw them at Austin City Limits a couple of years ago. They were on at like 2 PM and when they got on stage the showing was small. After the first song, the place was packed. Out of the Black is one of my favorite songs and I have a shirt with the cover of their first album on it. I discovered them through Apple Music and the premier of Beats 1. Little Monster was like the third song ever played on the station.

As far as Catfish and the Bottlemen, they're great. Probably better than Green Day.

Edited by Sox-35th

• 2 weeks later...

Nine inch nails released an EP today, and if you are a fan of them at all you should listen to it. It's the second part of a trilogy of EPs, the first came out last year called "Not the actual events", this one is "add violence"

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 7, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
Saw them at Austin City Limits a couple of years ago. They were on at like 2 PM and when they got on stage the showing was small. After the first song, the place was packed. Out of the Black is one of my favorite songs and I have a shirt with the cover of their first album on it. I discovered them through Apple Music and the premier of Beats 1. Little Monster was like the third song ever played on the station.

As far as Catfish and the Bottlemen, they're great. Probably better than Green Day.

Agreed on Catfish and RB. Both great bands.

Over the last few years I've been finding a ton of good music coming out of the UK and Australia. It's been a huge breath of fresh air for me.

Recently heard Catfish and the Bottlemen as well. Reminds me a lot of a band I used to love when I first moved to Vegas called the Kooks.

Went to see Third Eye Blind at the Joint here in Vegas this past Saturday night.

I was a huge 3EB fan when their first few albums came out. Their debut album really shaped me, as I was 20 at the time and going through a lot of s***, trying to figure out who the hell I was and what the hell I wanted to do with my life. I enjoyed Blue and even Out of the Vein, but nothing ever struck me quite like their self-titled album.

Anyways, was lucky enough that they basically opened with 4-5 songs and then Stephan Jenkins came out and did a little talking about the 20th anniversary of that first album, and then said they'd come back in a few minutes and play the album front to back. I'm not sure if they did that the entire tour, but I couldn't have been more pleased. Unfortunately, the band really isn't the same anymore, but they still put on an awesome show. Really took me back to all the different s*** going on in my life back in the late 90's and early 00's.

I suppose that is truly the beauty of music...the way you identify with it and forever associates certain songs/albums with certain times in your life. Truly amazing.

I never really understood people who don't love music.

Edited by iamshack

Saw McCartney last night in Tinley Park. Probably the best concert I've ever been to.

Lots of Beatles and Wings songs.

Played 39 songs in about 3 hours. Not bad for a 75 year old.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
Saw McCartney last night in Tinley Park. Probably the best concert I've ever been to.

Saw him about 10 years ago and thought the same thing then.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)

Holy hell that is impressive. That's why he is Sir Paul McCartney.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Excited for Green Day tonight.

Didn't think Billie would be such a good showman. Was a blast. I don't go to as many concerts as others but one of my best experiences.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Anyone play acoustic guitar? Sort of interested in picking it up as a hobby and taking beginning lessons.

Good model? Price? etc

To me the main thing when beginning is that the guitar has to be comfortable to play. It is going to hurt your fingertips until you get good calluses built up. The less it hurts, the less likely you are to put it down. You want a guitar with low action - meaning the strings are not too high off the neck. Also, putting light strings on it will make it easier to hold them down.

When you start playing, you are going to suck, it's inevitable and everybody does. If you think this may discourage you and you won't want to keep playing, get something cheap. If you think you will stick with it through the sucking you may want to get something nicer because you will want to upgrade sometime down the road anyway.