2017 Music thread

BlackSox13

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
I was thinking of going with a cheaper model. It's something I have always wanted to try so feel I would stick with it.

Any recommended models?

Music Source is near you and carries the Breedlove Discovery Dreadought. That is a very solid beginner guitar for $300. If you are taking lessons outside your home, you will definitely want to get a case for it too.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 06:42 PM)
Haven't given it a listen yet. What was underwhelming?

Thinking about trying to catch em when they come back around.

Only a couple of hard tunes. I'll listen through again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 6, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
New LCD Soundsystem is solid

Absolutely. I had tickets to see them play in Atlanta this weekend, but I had to make a last-minute trip to Europe for work and had to sell my tickets. Fortunately, I saw them back in May, but was still a bit bummed out that the timing worked the way it did. But I can't complain - I'm in Europe. Could be worse places to get sent. Haha.

Anybody listen to the new Cut Copy album yet? Haiku From Zero. Really solid.

No. I still just really don't like how they made a big deal about breaking up and then were back 2 years later.

Anyway I bought st. vincent tickets for january. I'm excited to see what she does for this tour. I hope she still plays a fair amount on guitar.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
Took my wife to the Morrissey show last night. I had a much better time than anticipated. The old guy can still croon.

Everytime that I've bought tickets to see him with the exception of Riot Fest, he canceled.

Really love the new single.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Nov 3, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
Everytime that I've bought tickets to see him with the exception of Riot Fest, he canceled.

Really love the new single.

Which one? He played a couple new tracks from his upcoming album.

EDIT: I really dug "I Wish You Lonely" and "Spent the Day in Bed"

Edited by BigSqwert

• 2 weeks later...

If anybody is interested, you can listen to the album that a band I play in is about to release here, for free: The May Day Orchestra

It's original music, not poppy at all, but if the description below sounds interesting, check it out.

The May Day Orchestra began as a folk band and has morphed over the last decade into the current rock quartet heard on the new album "Wake".

Beginning as a side project of Tim Rakel's group Bad Folk in 2008 to consider political and historical themes album by album rather than song by song, the band is releasing its third full-length recording.

The first record dealt with "May Day" itself and the American labor movement of the 1880s in Chicago. From there, the group expanded it's instrumentation and covered the story of Ota Benga, a pygmy man from Congo who wound up a human exhibit at the Saint Louis World's Fair in 1904.

The current project, Wake, takes on similar issues of colonialism and imperialism with an African setting. The more recent history of Kenya is interposed with the tale of Yusuf bin Hasan, a 17th century sultan turned pirate.