2017 Music thread

BlackSox13

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
If you want to know who will win album of the year or record of the year just look at the sales. This isn't new. Grammys cares about selling records, the Oscars has a similar incentive sometimes, but largely swerves for more prestige (see Hurt Locker over Avatar).

I get people find the show of it more interesting, but I swear I've run into better performances randomly on AMA than Grammys which , as has been said, is full of awful medley and duo ideas.

Let me know how many records Chance has sold.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
Very cool! Rhythmic, hypnotic and can here the native American influence in your wife's drumming. After hearing the drumming it reminded me so much of my favorite drummer, Barrett Martin from Screaming Trees/Mad Season.

You have a new fan. :headbang

Thank you. I will let you know when the recordings are done.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
The only exception that I can think of is when Arcade Fire won several years back, and that pissed off a bunch of people who didn't know who they were.

Yeah, it did debut at #1 though in US/Canada/UK, it pushed quite a few records.

I mean look at this garbage list. They have actually made a concerted effort to be more relevant, I think prompted by that Allison Krauss/Plant AOTY.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_...bum_of_the_Year

It sticks out like a sore thumb when they actually get a relevant album, though recently the pop tastes have aligned a lot more than they used to in music.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
He won album/record of the year? No? Okay bye.

Yes, he won, so your counter doesn't make sense.

His point is that he doesn't sell his music, he gives it away for free and is not on any label.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Yes, he won, so your counter doesn't make sense.

His point is that he doesn't sell his music, he gives it away for free and is not on any label.

Adele won album of year and record of year, my whole post was about album of the year and record of the year that he responded to. Chance was not even nominated for either.

Good music discussions going on. Gives some insight to what some of us Sox fans are into. Anyone care to list their genres of interest and the artists in those genres?

Kind of surprised Dick Allen isn't in here posting. I know he loves him some Rush. Come on DA, jump on in dude. Something tells you like you some good old classic rock. The power of Geddy Lee compels you! :headbang

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
Adele won album of year and record of year, my whole post was about album of the year and record of the year that he responded to. Chance was not even nominated for either.

Your post sorta was about that....but he bolded the part you wrote about the "Grammys cares about selling records"

to which he replied "Let me know how many records Chance has sold."

Chance won 3 Grammy's without selling any records, not for record of the year but he is breaking new ground when it comes to records sales = Grammy's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone is familiar with a local band named Twin Peaks but they are playing at the Empty Bottle on March 29th. One of their guitar players introduced himself to the wife and I while at a show last November and was fun to talk music with. From what I can tell they are all good dudes.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't attend many concerts so i need to ask.....I'm debating going to a show in late June at the Park West. My question is is that venue one of those places where I'll be standing the whole time or do they have actual seats????

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
Chicago people where are the good concerts coming up?

Seeing Mac Demarco on 5/16 and Father John Misty the day before. At the Drive In is coming to town, so is Mastodon. Lots of good shows coming up, mostly excited for LCD and U2.