Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
Its interesting to see the reaction of some of the other teams fans on twitter to this trade thanking the Marlins for F'ing up their teams chances of landing Q. LOL The reality is that the price is not going down and its just clicking now with some of the fans.

That's just too funny. Sounds like those fans underestimated Q's value as well as the overestimated the value of their own prospects. Sorry Marlin fans but ya never had a chance.

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Glasnow news, since he is related to Q News:

Black Beard’s Delight: Hey ENO! I read an interesting article on Tyler Glasnow this week. He is shortening his delivery and the Pirates are giving him his 2 seam back. Mainly just wanted to share that with you, but does that improve your outlook on him?

12:31

Eno Sarris: If he can throw the two-seam to the middle of the plate because he has confidence in the movement, maybe one or both combined will help his command. He would take a huge leap forward if he could just get ahead more often because the curve is great.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/eno-sarris-...all-chat-11917/

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 18, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
A Rodgers + Dahl package would have the White Sox listening very closely

I don't see the Rockies offering that much, but Rodgers + Dahl + lottery arm would be a great trade

From all I have seen, its been noted that the Rockies have very little interest in Q because they don't think that his pitching style will play well in their stadium. They had concerns about how the altitude would lessen the break of his curve ball and that he doesn't strike enough guys out to fit what works there.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)

Black Beard’s Delight: Hey ENO! I read an interesting article on Tyler Glasnow this week. He is shortening his delivery and the Pirates are giving him his 2 seam back. Mainly just wanted to share that with you, but does that improve your outlook on him?

Eno Sarris: If he can throw the two-seam to the middle of the plate because he has confidence in the movement, maybe one or both combined will help his command. He would take a huge leap forward if he could just get ahead more often because the curve is great.

This thought process is odd. The 2 seamer has more movement and is more difficult to control than in 4 seasmer, in general. Teams usually take away the 2 seamer from pitchers with poor control.

Maybe he is just more comfortable with the 2 seamer and it will help, but the thought process is backwards.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)

If Glasnow could learn to throw a good two-seam for strikes with his 6'7" frame, the pitch would have some serious downward angle making it very difficult for batters to barrel up.

If I remember right one of the things that made Doc Halladay so successful was throwing a two-seam from his 6'6" frame. Well, that and dude had amazing cammand and control of his pitches.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
This thought process is odd. The 2 seamer has more movement and is more difficult to control than in 4 seasmer, in general. Teams usually take away the 2 seamer from pitchers with poor control.

Maybe he is just more comfortable with the 2 seamer and it will help, but the thought process is backwards.

Well they HAD taken it away last year, so it must be coming from feedback that Glasnow felt more comfortable with his 2-seamer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 10:38 AM)
Of course you would. Meadows, Glasnow and Newman is more than they got for Sale and Eaton.

Perhaps, but not necessarily

Moncada is a better prospect than Meadows, especially given Meadows injury struggles. Meadows is great when he plays, but he has missed significant time due to injury.

Kopech and Glasnow are both top 25 overall prospects. Kopech is younger and not as far along in development.

Newman is likely better than Basabe + Diaz at this point in time, but Basabe is also two years younger and not a bad prospect in his own right. Basabe came on very strong in the second half of the season and put up a .292 - .355 - .493 line (2nd half)

Trades do not always have to be equal either, really depends on the market

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
From all I have seen, its been noted that the Rockies have very little interest in Q because they don't think that his pitching style will play well in their stadium. They had concerns about how the altitude would lessen the break of his curve ball and that he doesn't strike enough guys out to fit what works there.

Seems that way. The Rockies pitching, especially bullpen, is a huge question mark going into 2017. I do not see how they contend without significant additions in a division with the Dodger and Giants

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)

Thats what they do though. They did the same thing with Morton in 2013. Worked very well

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
Thats what they do though. They did the same thing with Morton in 2013. Worked very well

Not to mention Volquez...maybe Liriano as well?

But that was equally related to lowering pitch counts, inducing more ground balls and defensive positioning/shifts. As opposed to simply trying to fix a "struggling" pitcher with confidence issues.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)

Posturing.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)

If that is truly how the Rockies think they are full of hot air or just downplaying Q's abilities. Just look at their best 5 starters from 2016. Of Gray ,Anderson , De La Rosa, Chatwood and Bettis only Gray had a better K/9 than Q. They all had higher ERA and WHIP than Q and that's in a league without the DH. Trying to predict how Q would do in Colorado is a fools errand, He'd have 1 less professional hitter to face and if his curveball was hurting him he would make adjustments. He's no dummy out on the bump. He would instantly become no worse than their 2nd best starting pitcher.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
If that is truly how the Rockies think they are full of hot air or just downplaying Q's abilities. Just look at their best 5 starters from 2016. Of Gray ,Anderson , De La Rosa, Chatwood and Bettis only Gray had a better K/9 than Q. They all had higher ERA and WHIP than Q and that's in a league without the DH. Trying to predict how Q would do in Colorado is a fools errand, He'd have 1 less professional hitter to face and if his curveball was hurting him he would make adjustments. He's no dummy out on the bump. He would instantly become no worse than their 2nd best starting pitcher.

Could not agree more. It is nitpicking Q considering the same thing can be said about any pitchers breaking ball at Coors. I think one that could help counter that point is that Q moving to the NL should help to lower his ERA and add to his strike outs.

Colorado didn't seem too concerned about curve balls at Coors when they traded for Hoffman who is known for having a big curve ball. Hell, they called him up last year and he pitched 31 innings.

In the end, Colorado is posturing.

What about Dahl, Rodgers, Mundell from the Rockies?

Impressive but not quite proven rookie with some past injury issues.

Top draft pick in A ball.

First base prospect in A ball who just set an MiLB record with 59 doubles.

Nice mix of floor and ceiling for Allstar Q.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 11:00 PM)
When Rosenthal starts saying it I start to really worry.

Yeah, I'm starting to get worried too. I'm not going to say much more on this because we don't know the offers, but holding onto Quintana into next season scares the s*** out of me. Has the potential to f*** up this rebuild very quickly.

Yeah, I'm starting to get worried too. I'm not going to say much more on this because we don't know the offers, but holding onto Quintana into next season scares the s*** out of me. Has the potential to f*** up this rebuild very quickly.

Its not just the lack of movement on Quintana, its the lack of movement or rumors on ANYONE. Jettisoning Eaton and Sale will definitely make the White Sox bad but keeping Melky, Fraz, Abreu, Jones and Quintana will be enough to prevent them from being completely hopeless (keeping Robertson does offset this a little I guess) and almost surely out of the #1 overall pick and probably top 5. So anyone counting on a big time position player in the 2018 draft may want to reconsider and lower their expectation to college pitcher or flawed bat pretty soon. This is one of the many faults with holding everyone until the deadline.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 11:24 PM)
Its not just the lack of movement on Quintana, its the lack of movement or rumors on ANYONE. Jettisoning Eaton and Sale will definitely make the White Sox bad but keeping Melky, Fraz, Abreu, Jones and Quintana will be enough to prevent them from being completely hopeless (keeping Robertson does offset this a little I guess) and almost surely out of the #1 overall pick and probably top 5. So anyone counting on a big time position player in the 2018 draft may want to reconsider and lower their expectation to college pitcher or flawed bat pretty soon. This is one of the many faults with holding everyone until the deadline.

Agreed. And this is not a class I'd want to miss it on...if we have a chance at a top 1-2 pick - sell whatever you need to and throw James Shields on short rest all season.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 11:05 PM)

Of all the things in a Quintana deal, the surest thing is Q. If you are worried not trading him will screw everything up, you should be more worried trading him asap and just taking what they can get, will screw everything up.

All the guys the Wox received for Sale and Eaton look great on paper, but as of now we really don't know if any of them can really play, let alone as well as Sale or Eaton.

Edited by Dick Allen