Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

ya I doubt it matters that soxfest is this weekend....like someone stated above if they get what they are looking for in the trade market for Q then his days as a SOX are over. Im a SoCal based sox fan and the dodgers had jose Deleon schedule to appear and sold autograph vouchers and everthing for him that takes place this Saturday out here in LA and look what happened to him...poof traded!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
Agreed 100%. My own speculation, but I'm betting Soxfest is an unofficial, soft deadline. No talking until another team's GM calls and offers exactly what Hahn wants.

I think the Soxfest surprise was more apt when it was a positive thing, versus the loss of another player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
I think the Soxfest surprise was more apt when it was a positive thing, versus the loss of another player.

Its all in the spin. They can say "we just added another four players to our young core including two top 25 prospects", that would be a pretty positive take away for most fans.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Its all in the spin. They can say "we just added another four players to our young core including two top 25 prospects", that would be a pretty positive take away for most fans.

Given the positive fan reaction of the two trades so far, I don't think they'd have any problem doing that. Once again, I don't think Soxfest has any bearing on a trade either way.

Dan Hayes on the CSN Podcast said something like that yesterday. They normally dont trade guys during/after Soxfest heading into Spring Training. They all pretty much through Jeff Luhnow wasnt posturing as they just want to see what happens in Spring Training with the team. One of the hosts predicted he sticks through the entire season because of the limited market you get during the deadline.

Also Chuck Garfien pretty much shared my worries. That between now and the deadline his trade value is at it's highest. After well the price probably drops.

Edited by Baron

I don't think it's so much soxfest as announcement, it's that for more than just the sox, end of january is the end of offseason. There is a lot of prep for spring training after that, college and high school will start soon. Not saying they can't walk and chew gum, but this would be a big trade and at some point teams will just assume they can't bridge the gap and turn away.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
Dan Hayes on the CSN Podcast said something like that yesterday. They normally dont trade guys during/after Soxfest heading into Spring Training. They all pretty much through Jeff Luhnow wasnt posturing as they just want to see what happens in Spring Training with the team. One of the hosts predicted he sticks through the entire season because of the limited market you get during the deadline.

Also Chuck Garfien pretty much shared my worries. That between now and the deadline his trade value is at it's highest. After well the price probably drops.

Garfien also said it hasn't been quiet. They get calls every day but nobody has met the price. What the f*** are they asking for?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
Garfien also said it hasn't been quiet. They get calls every day but nobody has met the price. What the f*** are they asking for?

They don't want to trade him. They just wanted to get rid of Sale and Eaton for pissing off Kenny. It also makes it look like they are rebuilding.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
Refuting it would have to lend a degree of trust in a White Sox front office that has done nothing to earn it this decade.

They didn't just trade Eaton and Sale and stop. They haven't added anything. This an unfounded, completely idiotic opinion. You can be upset that more hasn't happened but coming up with fake narratives doesn't make sense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
They didn't just trade Eaton and Sale and stop. They haven't added anything. This an unfounded, completely idiotic opinion. You can be upset that more hasn't happened but coming up with fake narratives doesn't make sense.

So far that's exactly what they've done. I don't think(at least I hope not) that they're done but considering the fact that they have only made those two trades so far, it's kind of ridiculous to call someone's opinion idiotic over it.

Ok if its so unfounded and completely idiotic (impolite, by the way) then refute it.

You say the didn't trade Eaton and Sale then just stop...I say that's exactly what has happened. Is there some other huge trade I've missed? And they are doing the same thing they've done every year the last three since the Winter Meetings, which is buttress their garbage roster with more scrapheap garbage like Derek Holland and Everth Cabrera.

But really, without resorting to "well I just trust that Hahn is doing the right thing" make a compelling argument that the Sox dealt Eaton and Sale for 100% baseball reasons. I dont think you or anyone else really can.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Ok if its so unfounded and completely idiotic (impolite, by the way) then refute it.

You say the didn't trade Eaton and Sale then just stop...I say that's exactly what has happened. Is there some other huge trade I've missed? And they are doing the same thing they've done every year the last three since the Winter Meetings, which is buttress their garbage roster with more scrapheap garbage like Derek Holland and Everth Cabrera.

But really, without resorting to "well I just trust that Hahn is doing the right thing" make a compelling argument that the Sox dealt Eaton and Sale for 100% baseball reasons. I dont think you or anyone else really can.

No. It doesn't warrant a response. If you honestly think that they traded those guys and are now somehow going for it, then I can't help you.

If people want to believe the "only trading bad apples" theory they can certainly point to the fact that Jones, Robertson, Frazier, etc are still on the team as well, it's not just the fact that they haven't traded Q. Like I said, I'm not completely buying into that theory yet but so far they haven't done anything to prove that wrong either.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)

I think what they are probably asking for is "fair". But my theory is the mystic with Sale is not with Q. These teams really like Q but wont give up that type of package for him. It's up to Hahn if he wants to adjust his value but he doesnt have years to do it.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:24 AM)
Refuting it would have to lend a degree of trust in a White Sox front office that has done nothing to earn it this decade.

Refuting it is very easy with the evidence that is out there. #1 on the list is we know what the Sox have asked for from Houston, and it wasn't ridiculous.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
If people want to believe the "only trading bad apples" theory they can certainly point to the fact that Jones, Robertson, Frazier, etc are still on the team as well, it's not just the fact that they haven't traded Q. Like I said, I'm not completely buying into that theory yet but so far they haven't done anything to prove that wrong either.

Jones is literally the only other guy who has any trade value who is still on this team. We KNOW for a fact that the Sox have talked with teams about trading at least Frazier, Abreu, and Robertson, and have been met with no interest at all from teams. Logic tells me that there are very likely a whole lot of other discussions we don't know about.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Jones is literally the only other guy who has any trade value who is still on this team. We KNOW for a fact that the Sox have talked with teams about trading at least Frazier, Abreu, and Robertson, and have been met with no interest at all from teams. Logic tells me that there are very likely a whole lot of other discussions we don't know about.

I would say significant trade value, but I think that's what you mean. There isn't a lot of surplus value to be found with Frazier, Cabrera, Abreu, Gonzalez, or Robertson, but there is a bit of value.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)

Of course they've talked to other teams. There's no GM in baseball that's just going to turn off his phone and not listen to offers but that doesn't mean they're actively trying to trade them either. I'm not going to pretend to know what value these guys have but I'm sure Dave, Todd and Jose at least have some value especially if we're willing to pick up a bit of the tab on some of these guys. And once again, I'm not ready to buy into the bad apple theory yet but so far that is all that has happened.