Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Levine knows exactly what teams have offered then there's no reason to think the Sox are nuts if they don't trade Q. As for the WBC, I don't think pitching in the WBC is any more of a threat than pitching in ST. Iirc, pitch counts are monitored in the WBC just like ST.

Levine must be incredibly bored like the rest of us. Come on baseball, let's get going already!

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
Unless Levine knows exactly what teams have offered then there's no reason to think the Sox are nuts if they don't trade Q. As for the WBC, I don't think pitching in the WBC is any more of a threat than pitching in ST. Iirc, pitch counts are monitored in the WBC just like ST.

Levine must be incredibly bored like the rest of us. Come on baseball, let's get going already!

It will getlively pretty quickly as players are already out throwing. I think we will be hearing some Chris Sale quotes very soon as Boston media desends on Florida.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 08:52 PM)
Sounds like an Astros trade is unlikely based on this tweet from MLB Network Radio:

Probably just me, but the posturing actually gives me a glimmer of hope on something happening. I'd think if he really thought he was done, the answer would be more along the lines of 'We're excited where I team is at and ready to go to battle' or something like that.

"Bregman behind the back scoop to Anderson. Aderson 360 missile to Moncada, to Abreu! HHhhYEEeSSS! The 4-Way tie for last year's MVP just put on a show! The greatest triple play you will ever see! Call your sons and daughters...they're going for back to back to back to back homers for the third time tonight after these messages! Mercy!"

Please God. Please

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 12, 2017 -> 09:45 PM)
LOL. GMs never posture!

Look who the GM is and then reassess your comment.

I actually agree with Bruce. I wouldnt be surprised if they waited until the deadline then screw it up. I dont see the offers getting any better plus your putting even more pressure on yourself to get rid of him before next offseason.

Edited by Baron

The Astros have been tied to Q for months now and ST is just about here. For the time being, Luhnow does not sound like he is posturing one bit. That's not to say negotiations will not be revisited at a later point but for now Luhnow sounds as though he's content with what they have. A positive aspect to to the negotiations over the last few months is that at least ground work has been laid similar to what Hahn had done with Boston last July that led to the Sale trade this winter.

QUOTE (Baron @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 01:22 AM)
Look who the GM is and then reassess your comment.

I actually agree with Bruce. I wouldnt be surprised if they waited until the deadline then screw it up. I dont see the offers getting any better plus your putting even more pressure on yourself to get rid of him before next offseason.

there is no pressure in February, or March, or April...July? Sure. Of course, there is also pressure on contenders then too.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 12:00 AM)
You have to hope all of this doesnt go to Qs head going into the season. I dont see how it doesnt create any stress.

Not at all concerned. Q is about as calm and cool as they come. Wish the Sox had more players like him.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 12:04 AM)
there is no pressure in February, or March, or April...July? Sure. Of course, there is also pressure on contenders then too.

Which is why I was talking about the trade deadline

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
Just want to throw this out there in case this misconception about Q still exists that he doesn't go very far into games. Last year Chris Sale lead the AL in outs per start at 21. There were a bunch of guys tied for 2nd with 20 outs per start including Q.

That's another one of those glass half-full vs half-empty type stats. Q has that reputation to an extent, but I think that is mainly just Sox fans who have watched him w/frustration over the years. He has 1 complete game I think for his career, which is what I think people mean. It's a very "Q" type statistic because it just reinforces that he isn't great, but he is consistently good. His extreme's, in this case, like a pitcher who throws a CG or gets bombed before the 4th inning don't exist and he settles in the middle with several "20 out" outings.

Similar to the rebuttles to his WAR argument. Which is that, sure "over the last three years he is a top 10 WAR pitcher" but he has never finished top 10 in a season (at least per BR). Once again, it demonstrates that he is very good and consistent but he lacks the upside to be "elite" in the eyes of other organizations. Or it at least gives them ammunition/leverage for negotiating his trade.

Someone recently posted that they had potentially 20 guys they'd be willing to take ahead of him and that person was likely correct. Whether we want to ACCEPT it or not is entirely up to you, but there are 20 guys out there that are either already better or have more upside than Q. Most teams, right or wrong, will lean towards the upside at the level where Q is. They can "fix" the flaws for that guy to reach his potential being the logic.

So while that is a nice stat, and I, personally, think in today's day-in-age with bullpens this should increase his value to teams. You also mentioned it was Sale + a bunch of guys at 20 in the AL. Depending on what "a bunch" means and how many guys we add from the NL, it may be less important than we think. I'd imagine there is a lot with 19 as well. Which circles us back to the "upside" debate that teams will make there. 1 more out everytime, or the potential to go 9 good ones when it counts.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Feb 13, 2017 -> 06:40 PM)
That's another one of those glass half-full vs half-empty type stats. Q has that reputation to an extent, but I think that is mainly just Sox fans who have watched him w/frustration over the years. He has 1 complete game I think for his career, which is what I think people mean. It's a very "Q" type statistic because it just reinforces that he isn't great, but he is consistently good. His extreme's, in this case, like a pitcher who throws a CG or gets bombed before the 4th inning don't exist and he settles in the middle with several "20 out" outings.

Similar to the rebuttles to his WAR argument. Which is that, sure "over the last three years he is a top 10 WAR pitcher" but he has never finished top 10 in a season (at least per BR). Once again, it demonstrates that he is very good and consistent but he lacks the upside to be "elite" in the eyes of other organizations. Or it at least gives them ammunition/leverage for negotiating his trade.

Someone recently posted that they had potentially 20 guys they'd be willing to take ahead of him and that person was likely correct. Whether we want to ACCEPT it or not is entirely up to you, but there are 20 guys out there that are either already better or have more upside than Q. Most teams, right or wrong, will lean towards the upside at the level where Q is. They can "fix" the flaws for that guy to reach his potential being the logic.

So while that is a nice stat, and I, personally, think in today's day-in-age with bullpens this should increase his value to teams. You also mentioned it was Sale + a bunch of guys at 20 in the AL. Depending on what "a bunch" means and how many guys we add from the NL, it may be less important than we think. I'd imagine there is a lot with 19 as well. Which circles us back to the "upside" debate that teams will make there. 1 more out everytime, or the potential to go 9 good ones when it counts.

Good points. So how available are these other 20 guys? And in FA they cost around $30M AAV. I wonder how worth it the extra out is.

It was the worst kept secret in Chicago that many members of the organization wanted Sale traded after the jersey situation. Until someone else gets traded that wasn't considered a clubhouse issue, it's hard to completely rule out why just Sale and Eaton were traded.