Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)
Meh, not going to get my knickers in a twist because a blogger said " eye popping deal". Without names that bloggers words mean less than zero. Just another asshat spouting off is all.

I believe it was KW telling this to Chuck Garfien

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
I believe it was KW telling this to Chuck Garfien

That would be a different story. But a blogger saying KW told him something is what I question. Too many bloggers, tweeters etc spout off for attention to get the hits while being incredibly vague.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
I am slow. Is there a direct link to the Pirates trading Cutch and them trading for Q? There is a ton of rumors out there that they want to trade Cutch again. Seems to be heating up on that front.

The thought is that the Pirates budget is maxed out and they need to move payroll before bringing on Q's salary. They can also use the prospects to throw in a Q deal as a Cutch trade takes Meadows out of play.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
The thought is that the Pirates budget is maxed out and they need to move payroll before bringing on Q's salary. They can also use the prospects to throw in a Q deal as a Cutch trade takes Meadows out of play.

Pirates deal is dead not because of money, but because the Sox are insisting that Meadows be in any deal. Pittsburgh is unwilling to include him

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
MLB Network's Top 100 Players Right Now starts tonight. Quintana has never been on this list before. I think he'll be in the first show tonight (81-100).

(Q was 77)

It obviously means nothing, but /r/baseball on Reddit had a fan representative from each team vote on their top 100 players for 2017 and Quintana came in at #32 on the list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comments/...0_players_5026/

That MLB network countdown is such garbage, but I think by it's nature it will get weird results. Easier to do top 10 by positions than a top 100. But judging by the value positionless boppers like Hanley Ramirez got this offseason, does anyone think he ranks as high as Quintana?

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 03:06 PM)
That MLB network countdown is such garbage, but I think by it's nature it will get weird results. Easier to do top 10 by positions than a top 100. But judging by the value positionless boppers like Hanley Ramirez got this offseason, does anyone think he ranks as high as Quintana?

Sale was ranked as the 30th best player in baseball, with Lester and Arrieta having better rankings than him. Lol

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Hahn confirmed on Garfien podcast they were close during offseason to a trade on par with Sale/Eaton

Its possible that same trade will be there when an owner might have second thoughts or a player goes down. Good to know it went that far with a haul that Hahn would want.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 03:34 PM)
Hahn confirmed on Garfien podcast they were close during offseason to a trade on par with Sale/Eaton

Ok, I'm addicted to White Sox trade rumors and these threads. I admit it and hope to recover. Now, all of this Hahn talk about two trades that fell apart is killing me for the details.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Feb 16, 2017 -> 06:16 PM)
Still no deal. Bruce Levine full of s*** again. I expect Q to be moved by the deadline along with DRob, Frazier, Melky.

Same old Bruce. Technically he did say Q would be gone before the start of the WBC so there's still time. Not that I'm counting on it.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 15, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
MLB Network's Top 100 Players Right Now starts tonight. Quintana has never been on this list before. I think he'll be in the first show tonight (81-100).

(Q was 77)

So teams are balking at trading a couple top prospects for the 77th best player in the game who's also wrapped up with an affordable contract and is a left-handed starting pitcher? Makes no sense. Especially because his classic delivery (lefty Tom Seaver-esque) likely affords him greater durability than Chris Scissorhands, anyway.

Edited by buckweaver

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 18, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
Then I'd like to know why he wasn't moved.

He's already said two trades fell through at the ownership stage by the other team. He can't control if opposing owners wont sign off on deals.