Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soha @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
Didn't he already tell us it was a fact that Quintana would be moved before spring training? I mean, this article literally tells us nothing. Thanks Bruce.

I highly doubt that Quintana gets traded until closer to the deadline, unless a team overwhelms us with an offer

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
I highly doubt that Quintana gets traded until closer to the deadline, unless a team overwhelms us with an offer

with the teams who have the value to get Q, this is obviously a narrow possibility, but if a contender has an injury in ST to a top of the rotation arm.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:06 AM)
with the teams who have the value to get Q, this is obviously a narrow possibility, but if a contender has an injury in ST to a top of the rotation arm.

How often does this happen? I am curious because this has been mentioned a lot but I am not sure if this happens every year and how frequently. I know the Cardinals are always good for it but I am not sure if its a forgone conclusion to happen frequently enough that we can count on this being a situation in the next month. I am really curious.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)
How often does this happen? I am curious because this has been mentioned a lot but I am not sure if this happens every year and how frequently. I know the Cardinals are always good for it but I am not sure if its a forgone conclusion to happen frequently enough that we can count on this being a situation in the next month. I am really curious.

It doesn't necessarily have to be in spring training. The position the White Sox are in is pretty unique. I don't think many teams go in to a season waving the white flag from the start like the Sox are doing this year. It generally doesn't motivate ticket sales very well lol.

So...it could be a major injury in May. Trades don't often happen in May, but a big part of that is that there usually aren't sellers that early. Well, the Sox will be if what they say is true.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:08 AM)

I think pretty much every team is ready to roll with their team now. But ST is tommy john season.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2...-zone/97707990/

Cites that 27% of all TJ surgeries were performed in March and April (

Sounds as though the three most interested teams for Q were the Braves, Pirates and Astros and are expected to be competing (Braves?) by the time June/July rolls around and there's likely groundwork already laid from winter talks.

The Dodgers have one of the most brittle starting rotations in baseball so I think they end up in the mix for Q.

The Mariners expect to contend in the ALW and their rotation has potential for a hole or two. Vogelbach, Lewis and O'Neill would be a great start to negotiating for Q.

I'm hesitant to say the Rockies but if they can hang with the Dodgers long enough in the NLW, it's possible the Rockies call about Q when June/July comes around.

There's potential for more action as the season gets closer to the deadline but the flipside to this is there could be more pitching available by then if Archer and/or Gray rebound in the first half. None the less, if Hahn has not received the offer he's looking for then waiting is the right move, even if it takes until next off season (which I doubt it does).

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
Sounds as though the three most interested teams for Q were the Braves, Pirates and Astros and are expected to be competing (Braves?) by the time June/July rolls around and there's likely groundwork already laid from winter talks.

The Dodgers have one of the most brittle starting rotations in baseball so I think they end up in the mix for Q.

The Mariners expect to contend in the ALW and their rotation has potential for a hole or two. Vogelbach, Lewis and O'Neill would be a great start to negotiating for Q.

I'm hesitant to say the Rockies but if they can hang with the Dodgers long enough in the NLW, it's possible the Rockies call about Q when June/July comes around.

There's potential for more action as the season gets closer to the deadline but the flipside to this is there could be more pitching available by then if Archer and/or Gray rebound in the first half. None the less, if Hahn has not received the offer he's looking for then waiting is the right move, even if it takes until next off season (which I doubt it does).

Where are you seeing the Braves? Perhaps there is a report I missed, but the Braves GM specifically mentioned he wasn't interested in Quintana after not trading for Chris Sale.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/braves-...asWNBP4ahTgIvO/

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)

I don't see the Mariners being a good fit as a Q trade partner. Seattle would have to clean out it's middling at best farm system, which is not likely in their best interests

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
Where are you seeing the Braves? Perhaps there is a report I missed, but the Braves GM specifically mentioned he wasn't interested in Quintana after not trading for Chris Sale.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/braves-...asWNBP4ahTgIvO/

Braves are at least a season or two away from contending. I don't see them being realistic to move significant prospects for Quintana