Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
I agree...seems like something will go down in the next 7 to 10 days.

I was going to say the Tuesday before Soxfest, which happens to be Quintana's birthday.

Maybe the day after. He'll get traded before he has to fly to Chicago.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
I was going to say the Tuesday before Soxfest, which happens to be Quintana's birthday.

Maybe the day after. He'll get traded before he has to fly to Chicago.

The Levine article seems like an intentional media play by the sox.

So far we have not heard anything about talks advancing with any particular club. "Sweetening" is pretty vague.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Well no one has added his article so here.

Aside from that blurb it's all stuff we've heard said before including Q's background and contract, that "insider" bit is the new part.

It doesn't appear that Levine is even aware or "in the know" on whom the White Sox are in talks with other than re-reporting what has already been public knowledge. The only news in his column is that the White Sox want to move him before spring training (i.e. the White Sox have said there isn't any timetable in their pubic statements regarding any speculation).

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
The Levine article seems like an intentional media play by the sox.

So far we have not heard anything about talks advancing with any particular club. "Sweetening" is pretty vague.

I'm not really paying attention to media stuff other than the Sox want to make more trades, and Quintana is in demand and his value can't get much higher. They'll move him before opening day, but my prediction has been before Soxfest.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 09:06 PM)
It doesn't appear that Levine is even aware or "in the know" on whom the White Sox are in talks with other than re-reporting what has already been public knowledge. The only news in his column is that the White Sox want to move him before spring training (i.e. the White Sox have said there isn't any timetable in their pubic statements regarding any speculation).

Levine was clearly told that teams are upping their offers. He's been at Cubs Convention felting players and coaches all weekend. He wouldn't have taken a break to write about Q unless he got something IMO.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 11:33 PM)
Levine was clearly told that teams are upping their offers. He's been at Cubs Convention felting players and coaches all weekend. He wouldn't have taken a break to write about Q unless he got something IMO.

I'm one of the bigger critics of Levine but I agree with you. He heard something and that something goes with Rumbunter recently saying Hahn had gone back to the Pirates for a counter offer because teams had upped their offers for Q. I still wonder if Theo is waiting in the weeds.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 11:46 PM)
I have a feeling that something will happen soon.

Just find it strange Levine and other just keep referencing the nameless "others" involved. Can't imagine who they would

Be other than Rockies or Braves. I'm also very ready for something to happen, I've been reading Whitesox stuff way more than is normal for a Braves fan.

I agree something really could happen as soon as tomorrow. Very strange for the White Sox to go radio silent on a major move for an entire week like this before Levine, a guy they have been known to use, blurts out that talks are progressing on a Sunday. Then you have some pretty interesting posts on Soxtalk regarding the Braves and moves they made last week...its starting to smell like rain.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:00 AM)
It seems like we've been reading this for months now. :lol:

Yeah. At this point I would be surprised if a deal happens before spring training. These teams have had 5-6 weeks to go over this. If they haven't budged to the Sox liking in 5-6 weeks, I don't see it happening in the middle of January when nothing has changed to make them budge. I hope I'm wrong of course...

QUOTE (OklahomaBrave @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 11:50 PM)
Just find it strange Levine and other just keep referencing the nameless "others" involved. Can't imagine who they would

Be other than Rockies or Braves. I'm also very ready for something to happen, I've been reading Whitesox stuff way more than is normal for a Braves fan.

Are you on any Braves forums that are similar to this one? I'd be curious in knowing what their fans think about these Quintana rumors.

Yeah. At this point I would be surprised if a deal happens before spring training. These teams have had 5-6 weeks to go over this. If they haven't budged to the Sox liking in 5-6 weeks, I don't see it happening in the middle of January when nothing has changed to make them budge. I hope I'm wrong of course...

Well things have changed, especially in the last few days. This really has more to do with Atlanta than anyone else (though I suppose depending on the deal the Pirates as well) but Todd Frazier only avoided arbitration on Friday. You combine that with those whispers around Atlanta that the Mariners deal netted them a piece needed for a Quintana trade...maybe the Sox and Braves are aligned for a Q + Fraz for Albies +++ swap and the Sox are just doing due diligence to see if Houston, NY or Pittsburgh has any last minute bids to outdo Atlanta.

Braves make a lot of sense the more you think about things.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:20 AM)

I also post on chop country . Unfortunately for

Your searching purposes there isn't a current thread for Quintana, but it has been discussed frequently since the Sale rumors started. Some proposed packages are Wisler , Blair, Demeritte packages, which is ridiculous and represents the smallest percentage of Braves fans. Others think Q is unattainable and that the Sox would demand Swanson. The majority of the two boards I post on and Braves twitter seem to believe Albies and Newcomb can be the biggest of the headliners. Past those two there seems to be a great deal of disagreements.(Again I mean the rational ones argue over 3rd/4th pieces while some believe some crap could net Quintana).

In short I can tell you the idea of Acuna or Matian being 3rd or 4th pieces is unappealing to Braves fans. Riley, Soroka, etc. depending on particular fan preferences is generally thought of as a preferred tertiary piece. Personally if Acuna or Matian had to be the third piece I would be unhappy as well. Not that they are unwarrranted asking for or receiving them, as I mentioned before losing 2/3 highest upside offensive guys is or system would hurt.

As a side note there is a large group that has preferred Quintana(and Archer) as trade targets above Sale due to control and aquisition cost.

Edited by OklahomaBrave

I agree that Acuna is a headliner/high-end 2nd piece as well. Even the Yankees wouldn't be able to beat an Albies-Acuna led package without including Torres. I dont think Maitan is on the Sox radar, or at least if he is the Braves value him highly enough that the Sox would rather acquire other players than have Maitan soak up so much of Quintana's value.

This is where I feel like Frazier comes in. Atlanta adds like 6 or 7 WAR with Q and Frazier for 2017, that plus a full year of Swanson and the moves already made is enough to get into the division hunt with the perpetually underachieving Nats and constantly injured Mets. If there is an avenue to get both Albies and Acuna it is Todd Frazier, otherwise I dont think Quintana alone does enough for Atlanta's 2017 chances to warrant giving up two of the most exciting position player prospects in the game.

Here's the Braves "Talking Chop" list on their top 5 prospects for 2017. They are really high on Acuna, comparing him to Victor Robles, and have him as the Braves #2 prospect behind Albies. Those two headliners for Q would be hard for any team to beat, and would be a nice exclamation point to the rebuild.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2016/12/17/1389...1-5/in/13834809

Who will be today's conductor to strike up the band? Will it be Bruce Levine, Bob Nightengale, Ken Rosenthal, Scott Merkin, Phil Rogers, Jon Heyman or Chuck Garfien? One of them is bound to strike up some conversation. Maybe Levine comes out with some more tidbits in relation to his article yesterday.

Levine was on the radio this morning talking about his article with about as much confidence as Levine can have. I think he may have something but I would love for one of the other national guys to confirm his report to make me really believe its as close as Levine thinks it is.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 07:25 AM)
Who will be today's conductor to strike up the band? Will it be Bruce Levine, Bob Nightengale, Ken Rosenthal, Scott Merkin, Phil Rogers, Jon Heyman or Chuck Garfien? One of them is bound to strike up some conversation. Maybe Levine comes out with some more tidbits in relation to his article yesterday.

Too many teams involved. I would think we will have ample warning when something is imminent by all you have mentioned.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 05:50 AM)
Levine was on the radio this morning talking about his article with about as much confidence as Levine can have. I think he may have something but I would love for one of the other national guys to confirm his report to make me really believe its as close as Levine thinks it is.

When was the last time Levine actually broke a deal?