Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's become clear to me that a trade with the Pirates is not happening. With Meadows and Bell reportedly off the table and Glasgow having control/command/change-up issues, Huntington and the Pirates are just not a fit.

I still think it's possible Q is traded, just not to the Pirates.

Still curious about what the Braves may have offered. Not really buying the Newcomb rumor since he's the closest to the majors and expected to replace one of the geriatrics at some point this season.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
Fangraphs has a lot of very lazy analysis and aside from their prospect stuff I don't take any of it seriously. A lot of them just coming up w an idea and finding the stats to prove it rather than the other way around.

Comparing McHugh as being roughly equal to Quintana was where that article loses me

It cherry picked stats while ignoring huge WAR differences

Quintana in the past 4 season = 18.1 WAR

McHugh in the same time span = 7.8 WAR

McHugh's performance has gotten worse each of the past two seasons and he is now in the #4/#5 starter territory

Quintana is a #1 on most teams and a #2 on a world series contender

Dahl and Hoffman probably doesn't get the Rox Quintana by themselves.

Steve Adams of MLBTR today responding to a fans hypothetical trade of Dahl and Hoffman for Q.

hi8is commentary: They're a Rodgers short.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
Comparing McHugh as being roughly equal to Quintana was where that article loses me

McHugh's performance has gotten worse each of the past two seasons and he is now in the #4/#5 starter territory

After looking at all of the stats I would agree with the article. Quintana is definitely better but not by a large amount for the last 3 years. K/BB, runs and WHIP are all slightly in favor of Mchugh. FIP, xFIP and SIERA are all in favor of Quintana.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 02:01 PM)
Fangraphs has a lot of very lazy analysis and aside from their prospect stuff I don't take any of it seriously. A lot of them just coming up w an idea and finding the stats to prove it rather than the other way around.

I would like to hear more about how they provide very lazy analysis.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Steve Adams of MLBTR today responding to a fans hypothetical trade of Dahl and Hoffman for Q.

hi8is commentary: They're a Rodgers short.

Dahl + Hoffman is a start, but significantly more would have to be added to that deal

I agree with add in Rodgers and we'd be moving closer to a deal

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 02:04 PM)
It's become clear to me that a trade with the Pirates is not happening. With Meadows and Bell reportedly off the table and Glasgow having control/command/change-up issues, Huntington and the Pirates are just not a fit.

I still think it's possible Q is traded, just not to the Pirates.

Still curious about what the Braves may have offered. Not really buying the Newcomb rumor since he's the closest to the majors and expected to replace one of the geriatrics at some point this season.

Hahn has 2-3 years to trade Quintana if he wants to

The market may very well be tapped out right now and it might actually be best to reevaluate at the trade deadline

Fleecing a contender at the deadline would really feel great

Pretty much everyone left are small market franchises reluctant to trade away a bunch of prospects -- HOU, PIT, COL, ATL.

And HOU is really the only immediate contender in that group.

Perhaps that changes at the trade deadline with injuries, slumps, etc. Or a team like HOU might realize they need a SP after all.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
Dahl + Hoffman is a start, but significantly more would have to be added to that deal

Rodgers + Dahl + anything is better than the Sale deal.

Dahl + Hoffman/Pint is a very fair start and probably would need another two B or C prospects. Hahn would be all over a deal starting with Dahl and Hoffman/Pint.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)
Pretty much everyone left are small market franchises reluctant to trade away a bunch of prospects -- HOU, PIT, COL, ATL.

Perhaps that changes at the trade deadline with injuries, slumps, etc. Or a team like HOU might realize they need a SP after all.

Hopefully the Yankees play good to the point where they may look for a starter. Rockies too. Dodgers could be a fit at that time. Just gotta hope whatever teams could have potential rentals (Tanaka, Darvish, Cueto, etc) are doing good too.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:13 PM)

Perhaps that changes at the trade deadline with injuries, slumps, etc. Or a team like HOU mighFrankly, the Sox might want to wait and see how t realize they need a SP after all.

I agree and have acknowledged that it is unlikely Quintana gets traded before spring training unless a new suitor emerges

The small market teams like you mentioned are clinging to their top prospects and do not feel the urgent need as they might in a playoff race

The Sox might want to wait and see how some top prospects perform in 2017 before pulling the trigger on a Q deal. He will still have tremendous value a year from now unless he gets injured or has an awful year.

It's not always easy to line up two organizations needs and wants in a blockbuster trade. Hard to make each team feel like they "won" the deal

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)

Q is a #1 on many but not sure most teams. I would think the heavy favorites to meet in the 2017 World Series are the Red Sox and Cubs. Q is a #3 on both of them.

Yeah, I'm hoping NYY or LAD are back in play at the trade deadline. LAD has a slew of starting pitching but also a lot of question marks.

It's no huge surprise that BOS and WAS are the two teams to really pay up at this point. Prying top prospects out of small market teams who aren't even sure-fire contenders is a tough climb.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Q is a #1 on many but not sure most teams. I would think the heavy favorites to meet in the 2017 World Series are the Red Sox and Cubs. Q is a #3 on both of them.

And whichever one has him has the edge in that scenario.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
Yeah, I'm hoping NYY or LAD are back in play at the trade deadline. LAD has a slew of starting pitching but also a lot of question marks.

It's no huge surprise that BOS and WAS are the two teams to really pay up at this point. Prying top prospects out of small market teams who aren't even sure-fire contenders is a tough climb.

Getting Pittsburgh to part with Meadows + significantly more is not going to happen. They totally rely on young cheap talent and cannot afford to sign big ticket free agents generally.

The trade match just is not there at this point

Boston is primed to win right now and can afford to give up Moncada + Kopech because they will have a multi year window with which to replace those prospects or sign big time free agents

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
Hahn has 2-3 years to trade Quintana if he wants to

The market may very well be tapped out right now and it might actually be best to reevaluate at the trade deadline

Fleecing a contender at the deadline would really feel great

Quintana's value greatly reduces once he has less than three years of control. Hahn does not have two or three years to move him. It's either now, at the trade deadline, or next offseason. After that, you're almost certainly taking a lesser package.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)

What are you smoking, Steve? Rockies are not going to do that. No way.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
Quintana's value greatly reduces once he has less than three years of control. Hahn does not have two or three years to move him. It's either now, at the trade deadline, or next offseason. After that, you're almost certainly taking a lesser package.

It's not even to next offseason. The market next offseason will be slow. Nobody is trading for Q while the free agent market is so robust and probably ongoing through January. Giving up prospects for a pitcher will be a last resort for pitcher needy teams that can afford signing them.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
What are you smoking, Steve? Rockies are not going to do that. No way.

I don't think people realize that Dahl is not only already in majors but often is compared with Benintendi as a peer. Top position player + top pitching prospect is Sale deal, no, you aren't also getting a top 10 shortstop.