Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
You can call Q a 3 on both of those teams but he could easily be the 2 on both teams and the 1 on the Cubs this upcoming year imo.

Agree and he could also be the 4 on both as well.

I think it will be interesting to see how Sale handles the pressure of pitching in a major media baseball market and for a team that is expected to make the playoffs. David Price had his struggles in Boston his first year and Porcello also had a rough first year the year before. Sale will be regularly seeing 30-40+ media members versus the typical number he saw in Chicago.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:56 PM)
You can call Q a 3 on both of those teams but he could easily be the 2 on both teams and the 1 on the Cubs this upcoming year imo.

My favorite meathead opinion to throw at cubs fans friends is assertion that Q in NL would be a sub 2 era pitcher.

While I dramatize for effect, Q to me has quite a bit of stat improvement if going to NL, to a good defensive team and to a team with better pitch framing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
My favorite meathead opinion to throw at cubs fans friends is assertion that Q in NL would be a sub 2 era pitcher.

While I dramatize for effect, Q to me has quite a bit of stat improvement if going to NL, to a good defensive team and to a team with better pitch framing.

With the Cubs defense, Q would be absurd in the NL.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Q is a #1 on many but not sure most teams. I would think the heavy favorites to meet in the 2017 World Series are the Red Sox and Cubs. Q is a #3 on both of them.

Well he'd definitely be the #1 on KC, Minnesota, Toronto, Baltimore, Seattle, Oakland, LAA, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Miami, San Diego, and Colorado for sure. That's already half of the teams. I'd also put him #1 for Arizona, Pittsburgh, Houston, Tampa Bay and NYY (though they each have arguments the other way) and you could make a case for Texas as well. Detroit is not out of the picture too if Verlander is more like 2014-15 than the 2016 version. I'd say he's comfortably the #1 for most teams.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 24, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
Hahn has 2-3 years to trade Quintana if he wants to

The market may very well be tapped out right now and it might actually be best to reevaluate at the trade deadline

Fleecing a contender at the deadline would really feel great

I have no problem holding onto Q if teams aren't willing to pay what he's worth. The gamble though is it gives Oakland and the Rays time for Gray and Archer to rebound.

It's tough as a fan because we don't really know Q's value or exactly what's been offered for him. All we can do is speculate, which really sucks.

Not to mention Duffy becomes hugely valuable with his newly-signed hometown discount contract...in wake of the Ventura loss, Dayton Moore is going to have to seriously consider whether or not they can realistically compete when payroll is already stretched to the breaking point for that market.

Undoubtedly, they'll at least wait until July. But they now have an out in terms of at least approaching Duffy in light of the new circumstances and asking him if he still wants to go through a protracted rebuild movement.

He's already had TJS, so the risk factor is seemingly higher.

Not to mention Duffy becomes hugely valuable with his newly-signed hometown discount contract...in wake of the Ventura loss, Dayton Moore is going to have to seriously consider whether or not they can realistically compete when payroll is already stretched to the breaking point for that market.

Undoubtedly, they'll at least wait until July. But they now have an out in terms of at least approaching Duffy in light of the new circumstances and asking him if he still wants to go through a protracted rebuild movement.

He's already had TJS, so the risk factor is seemingly higher.

"Hey fans! The shocking DEATH of a 25 year old pitcher has made us rethink our chances for 2017 so we've decided to trade another fan favorite! We know you'll believe in the plan, and dont forget to renew your season ticket plan"

This isn't really news but for those that love beating a dead horse Garfein on his pod yesterday said he called his team sources and asked if its as cold as it seems and they said they are still getting daily calls just not getting their price.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:16 AM)
It's dead until at least Monday.

I think the opposite, while there are no indications anything is close, if not's done before friday, I'm out on it happening.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
I think the opposite, while there are no indications anything is close, if not's done before friday, I'm out on it happening.

Agreed 100%. My own speculation, but I'm betting Soxfest is an unofficial, soft deadline. No talking until another team's GM calls and offers exactly what Hahn wants.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Yep. They won't be trading him prior to Soxfest or this weekend. If someone offers them what they want prior to Spring Training though, I think they'd still move him.

Why? If anything I think it's the opposite. They probably want to move him before SoxFest in order to make the big announcement there or they won't move him until the deadline.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 10:10 AM)
Why? If anything I think it's the opposite. They probably want to move him before SoxFest in order to make the big announcement there or they won't move him until the deadline.

This doesn't make sense though and isn't how teams operate. They haven't gotten the offers they wanted. If someone offers them what they want next Wednesday or Thursday or the following week, they'll trade Quintana. It's much more about teams not ponying up than some arbitrary deadline. If they keep him until the deadline it's not because that was the plan. It's because nobody offered enough to pull the trigger.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
This doesn't make sense though and isn't how teams operate. They haven't gotten the offers they wanted. If someone offers them what they want next Wednesday or Thursday or the following week, they'll trade Quintana. It's much more about teams not ponying up than some arbitrary deadline. If they keep him until the deadline it's not because that was the plan. It's because nobody offered enough to pull the trigger.

Well you said "They won't be trading him prior to Soxfest or this weekend."

What if someone caves and offers them what they want tomorrow? I don't think the events over the weekend would prevent any trade from happening this week, nor is Soxfest any different of an arbitrary deadline than before the end of Spring Training.

The bottom line is that these things are fluid and can change at any time. Hahn just has to hold firm in his wants and shouldn't be willing to sacrifice...yet.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
SoxFest would be a pretty silly deadline. The teams we're negotiating with don't give a crap about SoxFest.

For all we know, the deal is done and they are waiting until right before SoxFest to announce to build some buzz and distract from questions about how terrible they are going to be this season.

Ya, I highly doubt Soxfest has anything to do with anything on the trade market. I know there's been a time or two where they've announced a signing around Soxfest but I don't think it's going to slow things down or speed things up on the trade front.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 25, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
Ya, I highly doubt Soxfest has anything to do with anything on the trade market. I know there's been a time or two where they've announced a signing around Soxfest but I don't think it's going to slow things down or speed things up on the trade front.

The only thing I could think of is nothing would probably happen during Soxfest. So from Friday afternoon until Monday morning, nothing will happen. A couple of years ago, they re-signed Beckham the day after Soxfest.