Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

Can't believe I'm doing this but in all fairness to Levine, this is how the media works. My biggest complaint about Levine is when he writes about rumors after they had been written about elsewhere. That's not the case this time. While he didn't drop any names he at least confirmed teams had upped their offers which goes with the Hahn/Pirates rumor reported last week by Rumbunter.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 15, 2017 -> 10:38 PM)
Matian, hopefully. I know a lot of people don't want him because he's young and not due to come to the bigs till 2020 but anytime you can maybe get a guy that's draws comparison to Miggy is a guy you target no matter when his eta is. And who knows he could develope faster than anticipated, but if we trade with Braves he is definitely someone I want back as part of the package.

Careful. Remember Avisail Garcia was supposed to be Little Miggy

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 11:43 AM)
Can't believe I'm doing this but in all fairness to Levine, this is how the media works. My biggest complaint about Levine is when he writes about rumors after they had been written about elsewhere. That's not the case this time. While he didn't drop any names he at least confirmed teams had upped their offers which goes with the Hahn/Pirates rumor reported last week by Rumbunter.

You say he writes about rumors after they had been written about elsewhere, but here he confirmed a rumor reported last week...but you say that's not what he's doing here? I'm confused.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
Although not Q news, it is related.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

now

Sources: The #Astros, as they continue their search for a starting pitcher, have remained in contact with the #Athletics on Sonny Gray

link

I read this as the Astros wanting the Sox to know Bregman is off the table and they will move onto other options if they have to.

Would two competitive teams in the same division really be trading with each other? Man, the Sox must be asking a whole lot from the Stro's to be pushed to trade with the A's who would also be asking for a whole lot for an oft injured suckier pitcher.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Would two competitive teams in the same division really be trading with each other? Man, the Sox must be asking a whole lot from the Stro's to be pushed to trade with the A's who would also be asking for a whole lot for an oft injured suckier pitcher.

I just dont understand how this makes any sense for that reason alone.

I think the astros are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Quintana is the best option out there and they arent paying up to get him. They tried for archer which probably wasnt going to be traded after a down year and would still take a hefty package to get him. They are trying to go after sonny gray but hes had a bad year and been injured. You know the A's arent going to sell low on him. Will probably have the astros come crawling back to Quintana eventually. Really not many choices

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
I think the astros are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Quintana is the best option out there and they arent paying up to get him. They tried for archer which probably wasnt going to be traded after a down year and would still take a hefty package to get him. They are trying to go after sonny gray but hes had a bad year and been injured. You know the A's arent going to sell low on him. Will probably have the astros come crawling back to Quintana eventually. Really not many choices

Maybe they move on and get no pitcher.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
You say he writes about rumors after they had been written about elsewhere, but here he confirmed a rumor reported last week...but you say that's not what he's doing here? I'm confused.

I know what you mean and please let me explain. I've noticed when Levine writes about rumors those rumors have just been reported by another writer but that's not the case here. Levine is confirming teams have upped their offers, like we heard last week from Rumbunter but the two rumors are unrelated in that Levine got his info from his source and Rumbunter got their info from their source. Two unrelated sources confirming the same thing within a week of one another.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to give Levine some credit which is unusual for me. :P

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
I know what you mean and please let me explain. I've noticed when Levine writes about rumors those rumors have just been reported by another writer but that's not the case here. Levine is confirming teams have upped their offers, like we heard last week from Rumbunter but the two rumors are unrelated in that Levine got his info from his source and Rumbunter got their info from their source. Two unrelated sources confirming the same thing within a week of one another.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to give Levine some credit which is unusual for me. :P

I think you are just bored and hopeful like the rest of us White Sox fans. It's been awhile since that Eaton blockbuster.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 16, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Astros are a joke.

I'm starting to think that as well. Go for it, overpay for a guy who is coming off a scary injury. I'm sorry Houston, but you can't bargain shop your way into contention. As White Sox fans, we all know just how 'awesome' that works out. :bang

Spring training starts in 4 weeks. Judge teams then. There are tons of free agents still out there. There are still players available via trade.

All this media stuff is part of the game. Take it all with a grain of salt and just wait for actual moves.