Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
If Reyes isn't the headliner, I am not sure that a St Louis offer would beat what about half a dozen other teams could offer to top that.

I think they could definitely put a package together that the Sox would consider, it would obviously be more about depth than headliners, but they have a pretty good mix of prospects with proximity and ceiling.

Flaherty/Perez/Sierra/Kelly/Arozarena would be a sizable haul, though without a top 10 prospect overall. However, Flaherty, Perez, and Azorarena all have the potential to be top ten guys a year from now. Kelly is as close to an everyday MLB catcher as is out there, and Sierra is a toolsy OF in the mold of Basabe.

This felt like the "Sale scratched from start" news that broke just before the deadline. Most everyone thought trade about to go down. Alas, "Quintana scratched from SoxFest" didn't last long. Makes sense because Jose doesn't seem like a guy who would cut up SoxFest programs because he didn't like his photo in there. 😀

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
I think they could definitely put a package together that the Sox would consider, it would obviously be more about depth than headliners, but they have a pretty good mix of prospects with proximity and ceiling.

Flaherty/Perez/Sierra/Kelly/Arozarena would be a sizable haul, though without a top 10 prospect overall. However, Flaherty, Perez, and Azorarena all have the potential to be top ten guys a year from now. Kelly is as close to an everyday MLB catcher as is out there, and Sierra is a toolsy OF in the mold of Basabe.

Sure. But that leaves the door open for a top level team to blow that offer away with a top 10 guy.

Must have been the Yanks coming to their senses and realizing McCutchen is not a fit considering the Yanks depth in the outfield at both the big league club and their minors.

Could have been an interesting trade. Wonder what players were potentially heading to the Sox. Glasnow, Rutherford, Newman ++?

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
Must have been the Yanks coming to their senses and realizing McCutchen is not a fit considering the Yanks depth in the outfield at both the big league club and their minors.

Could have been an interesting trade. Wonder what players were potentially heading to the Sox. Glasgow, Rutherford, Newman ++?

The Yankees part of the deal never made sense.

QUOTE (New Era on South Side @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
Well, if the rumored three way trade fell apart and we are going into the season with Quintana, I hope he stays healthy and they deal him for a haul before the deadline. That's all we can hope for from a risk perspective.

Deadline seems to be the most likely outcome at this point. No sense in taking the wing deal now when you have plenty of time to deal q

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 10:48 AM)
The Yankees part of the deal never made sense.

No it did not. I'm not saying the rumors were false, just didn't make sense for the Yanks unless somehow the trade had Cole going to the Yanks with Cutch. This trade might have had more moving pieces than we know of.

Edited by BlackSox13

. The Astros haven’t been willing to give up 21-year-old pitching prospect Francis Martes in a deal for White Sox ace Jose Quintana, and it’s no surprise, given the Houston organization’s opinion of Martes. “He’s got as high a ceiling as probably as any righty in the major leagues,” Astros assistant general manager Mike Elias told David Laurila of FanGraphs. “He has such a gifted arm, and such a weapon breaking ball, plus the changeup as a third pitch. Something that can be lost sight of is how young he is. He went to Double-A (late in the 2015 season) and held his own. In and of itself, that says something. If you look at the list of guys who have pitched well in Double-A at age 19, it’s a really, really impressive list.” If Martes’ effectiveness continues in 2017, “his road to Houston could be a very fast one,” per Elias.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/al-n...p;post-id=84006

Provides a touch more clarity. So it sounds like Houston insists that both Musgrove and Martes are off the table. Looking at their pitching staff, I can't say I blame them.

Still think they have the pieces to get a deal done as long as the rest of their MiLB players are available. Reed, Tucker, Fisher, Whitley and Stubbs would still be a nice haul, IMHO.