Teams have upped their offers in Q derby in the last week

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/al-n...p;post-id=84006

Provides a touch more clarity. So it sounds like Houston insists that both Musgrove and Martes are off the table. Looking at their pitching staff, I can't say I blame them.

Still think they have the pieces to get a deal done as long as the rest of their MiLB players are available. Reed, Tucker, Fisher, Whitley and Stubbs would still be a nice haul, IMHO.

No Martes, No Bregman. LOL, yeah, OK Houston.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
I don't buy it. Just posturing. The Red Sox moved the #1 prospect who was considered untouchable. No prospect is off limits besides the obvious ones - Turner, Bregman, etc.

I am not sure Moncada was untouchable from a Red Sox standpoint. Obviously Chris Sale is move valuable than any prospect. I don't think the Red Sox were discouraged by Moncada's stumble after the call-up. But I do think they were amazed at how well Benintendi performed in a 100 AB stretch. They may have decided that they could deal Moncada because they still had Devers and Benintendi to fill their 2 biggest holes in the coming seasons. The success of Benintendi hopefully allowed us to get a real stud in the Sale trade.

Edited by SCCWS

I'm probably one of the highest here regarding an Astros deal, but no way in hell am I making a deal without Martes + Tucker as the headliners (assuming Bregman is off limits). If Martes is truly off limits for Quintana, then I think that Archer rumor is complete BS. Seems like the Astros aren't serious about landing a TOR starter if they have this many untouchables.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
I don't buy it. Just posturing. The Red Sox moved the #1 prospect who was considered untouchable. No prospect is off limits besides the obvious ones - Turner, Bregman, etc.

Jeff Luhonow is not Dombrowski

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 03:38 PM)
No Martes, No Bregman. LOL, yeah, OK Houston.

Looking at it from their (Astrid) perspective, I can see why Musgrove, Martes and Bergman would be untouchable. That rotation has question marks so it's likely they will need Martes and or Pauline at some point and Musgrove just may end becoming their most reliable starter. That said, if they are insistent on keeping those three then they should be looking to trade for a #3 or #4 starter and not a #1/#2.

I still like their hitting prospects and Whitley from their pitching depth. For the Astros to make a deal happen it would take 5 or 6 players which I wouldn't be against depending on the players being discussed. The Sox now have nice depth with Giolito, Lopez and Fulmer at Charlotte so I don't mind if Martes isn't available if the Sox can get Whitley instead. Whitley reminds me alot of Hansen and Glasnow, but just 19 years old.

Probably doesn't matter anyway since its looking more like Q starts the season with the Sox, which I am fine with.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)
Bruce Levine today said that he expects the White Sox to gather best offers and trade Quintana for the best one prior to the World Baseball Classic. He's been saying this all offseason though.

I'll believe it when it happens. I absolutely believe the Sox want him off the team before the season starts, but I don't think they will be the ones to blink.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 07:26 PM)
Bruce Levine today said that he expects the White Sox to gather best offers and trade Quintana for the best one prior to the World Baseball Classic. He's been saying this all offseason though.

Wonder if Hahn expects the offers to increase between now and the start of the WBC. If he doesn't it doesn't make much sense to wait until then.

Curious to know if teams other than Houston, Pitt and Atlanta have made offers.

Even without Bregman, Martes, and Musgrove available, I think there could still be a deal that makes sense with the Astros...

but it would require their 5-6 next best prospects, and I just cannot see the wisdom in completely burning the farm to the ground like that. I just can't see Lunhow doing it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 11:40 PM)
Even without Bregman, Martes, and Musgrove available, I think there could still be a deal that makes sense with the Astros...

but it would require their 5-6 next best prospects, and I just cannot see the wisdom in completely burning the farm to the ground like that. I just can't see Lunhow doing it.

You're right, something like Tucker, Paulino, Perez, Reed, & Fisher or Whitley would work, but like you said, I can't see the Astros giving up five top 120 prospects in one deal.

You're right, something like Tucker, Paulino, Perez, Reed, & Fisher or Whitley would work, but like you said, I can't see the Astros giving up five top 120 prospects in one deal.

You could subtract Paulino and Reed from that deal and I'd still like it. That's 4 guys who all are top 100 tier guys, Tucker higher than that. The potential for Perez and Whitley to rise is really strong also, could be looking at two more blue chip arms a year from now.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 12:06 AM)
You could subtract Paulino and Reed from that deal and I'd still like it. That's 4 guys who all are top 100 tier guys, Tucker higher than that. The potential for Perez and Whitley to rise is really strong also, could be looking at two more blue chip arms a year from now.

Tucker + Perez + Fisher + Whitley ?

I think the Sox would be looking for prospects closer to the major leagues

Whitley is at least three seasons away, as is Perez

Fisher has solid speed and power, but hit tool, fielding and arm are all below average

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
A few of the guys in the comments seem to think that the Cards are giving up too much in that. Lol

Saw the Braves prefer Quintana as a pitcher to Archer but prefer the aquisition cost of Archer to Quintana. From a guy who has relationships with multiple scouts, FWIW.

One of the guys over at Viva El Birdos cooked up a trade proposal for the Cards to end up with Q.

Luke Weaver, Magneuris Sierra, Austin Gomber, Connor Jones, and Lance Lynn for Q.

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2017/1/30/1442...-trade-proposal

Swap out Lance Lynn (zero interest in Lance Lynn) for Delvin Perez and we've got ourselves something to talk about.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 11:46 PM)

And again, I have to imagine that one of the teams involved in these talks could easily surpass that deal.

Hypothetical trade proposal:

Quintana and Reynaldo Lopez to the Cubs for Kyle Schwarber, Eloy Jiminez, Jeimer Candelario, lower-level 4th piece

The Cubs have hitting to spare but are looking to shore up their pitching staff and depth. With the Sox, it's obviously the reverse. Schwarber is blocked by defensive limitations; Candelario is blocked by established all stars. Jiminez is one of the top OF prospects in the game.

Would you do it?

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)

Quintana and Reynaldo Lopez to the Cubs for Kyle Schwarber, Eloy Jiminez, Jeimer Candelario, lower-level 4th piece

The Cubs have hitting to spare but are looking to shore up their pitching staff and depth. With the Sox, it's obviously the reverse. Schwarber is blocked by defensive limitations; Candelario is blocked by established all stars. Jiminez is one of the top OF prospects in the game.

Would you do it?

I would do that. The Cubs wouldn't though.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 10:29 AM)

Would you do it?

Shwarber really doesn't fit our needs and timeline. I'd rather add guys like Eddy Martinez, Happ, and/or Cease.