In Market Streaming!

Heads22

So if I'm reading this correctly I would still need to have CSN Chicago to be able to stream right? MLB just doesn't get it. I'm willing to pay for the f***ing MLB.tv just let me watch the f***ing games. They leave me no option but to illegally stream it. They're taking money out of their own pockets

As far as I know, CSN Chicago is available in your area on both Direct TV or Dish Network, but not on your local cable company. Therefore, when you pay for the package (on one of the 2 dish services) that includes CSN Chicago, you should be able to get the streaming.

The eventual outcome is what is hard to determine. I personally believe it will be a buffet style. You pay for what you want and it'll be survival of the fittest leaving some smaller channels SOL.

Brian, "buffet style" or a-la-carte is not going to happen. Where do you think Jerry gets a large portion of money to pay for free agents? From every cable / satellite customer that receives CSN Chicago no matter if they watch any sports, or like the Sox, or not.

Slightly related, I recently learned of a new provider that that offers CSN Chicago and CSN Chicago+ to customers in some areas. The name is Playstation Vue. I am not an expert, but apparently internet service and a streaming player (Roku, Apple TV, etc.) is required to connect to your television. Also, local free over-the-air broadcast channels are not included, so an antenna is needed to receive the stations. However, the cost for Playstation Vue seems to be cheaper than cable or satellite. I noticed that CSN Chicago / CSN+ is offered on Playstation Vue outside of Chicago in areas that are considered White Sox & Cubs territory: Iowa, downstate Illinois, Indiana. Enter a zip code at this link to determine cost and availability:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

Edited by InTheDriversSeat

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 11:07 PM)
That's what I'm saying. That's the problem I foresee. People are cutting the cord to cable in record numbers. I've been on the edge for years, now with this new method I can cancel too. The less and less people who pay for cable the less and less advertisers will pay as there are less eyeballs. At a certain point you run into an issue. There is a cable bubble looming, it's just how will it shake out and how will it affect these massive sports tv contracts, and then player contracts. A correction is coming, it'll just be interesting to see how big effect it'll have.

As far as I know, CSN Chicago is available in your area on both Direct TV or Dish Network, but not on your local cable company. Therefore, when you pay for the package (on one of the 2 dish services) that includes CSN Chicago, you should be able to get the streaming.

Brian, "buffet style" or a-la-carte is not going to happen. Where do you think Jerry gets a large portion of money to pay for free agents? From every cable / satellite customer that receives CSN Chicago no matter if they watch any sports, or like the Sox, or not.

Slightly related, I recently learned of a new provider that that offers CSN Chicago and CSN Chicago+ to customers in some areas. The name is Playstation Vue. I am not an expert, but apparently internet service and a streaming player (Roku, Apple TV, etc.) is required to connect to your television. Also, local free over-the-air broadcast channels are not included, so an antenna is needed to receive the stations. However, the cost for Playstation Vue seems to be cheaper than cable or satellite. I noticed that CSN Chicago / CSN+ is offered on Playstation Vue outside of Chicago in areas that are considered White Sox & Cubs territory: Iowa, downstate Illinois, Indiana. Enter a zip code at this link to determine cost and availability:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 20, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
Just occurred to me that games that air on WGN and WPWR (or WCIU, or whomever will be carrying those extra games this season) still won't be streamable, obviously.

That's what rabbit ears are for.

Just canceled my ludicrously priced cable package yesterday. Now I'll get an antenna + 300mb internet for less than half of what I was paying for 100mb internet + tv.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Couple of thoughts

This is a blow to Cubs owned station if MLB does not green-light streaming for them.

Would I be able to watch the Sox anywhere if I have a cable package?

Depends on the partner they choose. ESPN, fox, and NBC all have streaming deals with mlb. Not sure what turner sports has set up.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 10:21 AM)
So if I'm reading this correctly I would still need to have CSN Chicago to be able to stream right? MLB just doesn't get it. I'm willing to pay for the f***ing MLB.tv just let me watch the f***ing games. They leave me no option but to illegally stream it. They're taking money out of their own pockets.

When teams get BILLIONS for tv rights, that's how you get streaming.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
This is an improvement, but still not an optimal solution. I've had X1 for a year or so, and a major perk of that package was that I could stream local games to my computer/iPad while on my home Wi-Fi. What I really want is to be able to bounce around games on MLB.TV. The online/AppleTV apps are well done, immersive and include picture-in-picture and I really want to be able to stay in once baseball-focused interface.

You can still buy MLB.tv. The sox games can be viewed on thatbplatform when your account is authenticated

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 11:07 PM)

Problem is my cable provuder is also my internet provider and they require a tv package to get their fiber optic internet so if I get Directv or Dish I'm paying for tv twice. Even then that doesn't solve my WCIU problem. I can't get those games in any way, shape or form. Tried OTA and I'm just too far away to get a signal.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 04:18 AM)
Problem is my cable provuder is also my internet provider and they require a tv package to get their fiber optic internet so if I get Directv or Dish I'm paying for tv twice. Even then that doesn't solve my WCIU problem. I can't get those games in any way, shape or form. Tried OTA and I'm just too far away to get a signal.

the sox don't have games on WCIU.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Couple of thoughts

This is a blow to Cubs owned station if MLB does not green-light streaming for them.

Would I be able to watch the Sox anywhere if I have a cable package?

I really don't think a full Cubs owned station is ever going to happen.

Fully team owned stations very quickly became a thing of the past, with teams realizing there was more value in guaranteed dollars from the networks.

Examples:

- The Yankees sold 80% of YES to FOX

- The Dodgers partnered with Time Warner for theirs

- The Indians sold STO to FOX

The only reason the Red Sox haven't sold off NESN is that Jeremy Jacobs won't let them (Bruins own 20%).

What will happen is either FOX or NBCUniversal will give the Cubs a channel, and it'll be part of the existing streaming deal. There isn't going to be a CubsNet without a media partner backing it.

QUOTE (soxfan18 @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
I really don't think a full Cubs owned station is ever going to happen.

Fully team owned stations very quickly became a thing of the past, with teams realizing there was more value in guaranteed dollars from the networks.

Examples:

- The Yankees sold 80% of YES to FOX

- The Dodgers partnered with Time Warner for theirs

- The Indians sold STO to FOX

The only reason the Red Sox haven't sold off NESN is that Jeremy Jacobs won't let them (Bruins own 20%).

What will happen is either FOX or NBCUniversal will give the Cubs a channel, and it'll be part of the existing streaming deal. There isn't going to be a CubsNet without a media partner backing it.

Fox makes a ton of sense. FoxSports Chicago folded after CSN came along. It would get them back into the Chicago market.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 01:18 PM)
Sox are on WGN and CSN. With rare espn/fox/tbs appearances sprinkled in.

They are also on WPWR (at least were last year). I can't get WGN 180 miles outside Chicago. WGN America does not broadcast sports anymore. Any game not on CSN I can not legally get in any way shape or form. Can't get on cable/sat, too far from any affiliate to get OTA. I would gladly pay to get the games but MLB won't let me. I guess more illegal streams it is.