President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)

I have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of poking that beast. I am not against a new track, but Tillerson is basically saying that things will now be escalated militarily. That's the signal he's sending. And there is a metric f***ton of risk in doing that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Tucker Carlson just told trump "the counties that voted for you will do far worse under your plan" and trump replied "Oh, I know"

I'd love to see the full text on that. Where did you read it? Or see it?

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
I have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of poking that beast. I am not against a new track, but Tillerson is basically saying that things will now be escalated militarily. That's the signal he's sending. And there is a metric f***ton of risk in doing that.

I'd love to see the full text on that. Where did you read it? Or see it?

The whole interview was nuts, but here's that part in particular:

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/842209771457462272

Another good section (transcript):

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/842196143727607809

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Tucker Carlson just told trump "the counties that voted for you will do far worse under your plan" and trump replied "Oh, I know"

He's doing everything he said he would do. Gotta go up to maybe a 9/10. If I agreed with it all 10/10. Trump is the goods.

Make the rich richer, the sick sicker, maybe get into a nuclear war or 2. Dump raw sewage in rivers, screw the environment, frack everywhere, we don't have enough earthquakes. Keep people out of the country that don't have the same God as you. Make America Great Again.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Assuming this is a swipe at me, you couldn't articulate one bad thing that came from Trump's probable lie on the illegal immigrants. "It makes us look bad." I care about issues. I care about solutions. I don't care about what some reality star New York liberal tweets even if he is the president. Although it's good comedy at points I must admit.

On illegal immigrants? He constantly lies about the extent of risk, with his "numbers" and vague fearmongering are there to try to back up his original and obviously illegal ExO. Or do you mean Mexico? Plenty bad already happening from that, with Mexico looking at doing all sorts of things that will hurt the US economy, plus his huge waste of money on a wall.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
C7EEq9iWoAAl20y.jpg

They're also bragging about cutting Meals for Wheels and after school programs for needy children in the same budget they're demanding billions for increased military spending and for the stupid wall.

Yeah those are quite ridiculous. They cost so little, and do so much good. This administration is exceedingly good at shooting itself in the foot. Forgetting the moral argument for a moment, it makes them look like goons and will work AGAINST the people who voted for him in poor rural areas.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
There is nothing insane about claiming the Obama administration was surveiling anyone. That's par for the course for them. As for Trump saying things without evidence and getting called on it, what's at stake here? Nothing but Donald's ego. I don't care about his ego.

Claiming that Obama was wiretapping Trump personally and that it was worse than Watergate based on no more evidence than some idiot on Fox News saying so is absolutely an insane thing for the President of the United States to do.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
Yeah those are quite ridiculous. They cost so little, and do so much good. This administration is exceedingly good at shooting itself in the foot. Forgetting the moral argument for a moment, it makes them look like goons and will work AGAINST the people who voted for him in poor rural areas.

Sure, but to be fair to the WH this is also the stated agenda of the Tea Party/hard line conservatives poor rural areas keep electing in droves.

Some more video from that press conference:

The White House is actually arguing that cutting funding for Meals on Wheels is the compassionate thing to do. Seriously.

Mulvaney: No evidence that after-school programs to help kids get fed improves performance. (this is not true)

This is deliberate and willful cruelty.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 03:14 PM)
There is nothing insane about claiming the Obama administration was surveiling anyone. That's par for the course for them. As for Trump saying things without evidence and getting called on it, what's at stake here? Nothing but Donald's ego. I don't care about his ego.

How can you say this with a straight face?

First, illegal surveillance of political foes is not par for the course for them or any President. Anyone since Nixon. And nowadays the safeties around that are so profound... yeah, it's pretty insane to suggest, and just as insane to say it's "par for the course".

Second, his suggestion created a flurry of activity in Congress and within LE branches of government. That's use of critical resources for a complete waste of time. That's less time to be used on actual problems. That is a direct, clear impact.

Neither of these get into the "soft" effects. A President accusing another of illegal surveillance? That takes a jackhammer to the foundations of the executive branch, erodes trust in the entire populace, and emboldens foreign governments to mess with Trump because he's obviously a lunatic.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
You didn't hear too much about Russia once Trump threw out the wiretapping claim.

He's a lying fool, but his methods work.

Now he's saying wiretapping means a lot of things. He specifically tweeted his phones were wire tapped.

Senate starts hearings next Monday. Things move at an incredible pace in Trumpworld, but these sorts of things usually take time to unfold anyway.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
Senate starts hearings next Monday. Things move at an incredible pace in Trumpworld, but these sorts of things usually take time to unfold anyway.

Yes, but it was in the news all day every day. Then it just sort of stopped. Maybe these new Flynn findings bring them back front and center.

I really wonder how long it will take people to realize they voted for a con man. Maybe never. A Mexican woman in my office voted for him. I would think that would be impossible, but she loved the Apprentice.

Surely Ronald Reagan spent his first 100 days in office comparing himself to Jimmy Carter...at a certain point, you've got to just DO SOMETHING.

The Trump administration has been completely dead in the water ever since the immense wave of criticism to the initial immigration ban hit. It's like they haven't been able to recover from that blow to their momentum.

Since then, the only "good/positive" (from a GOP standpoint) things they have done are Gorsuch and McMaster.

The AHCA has been an unmitigated disaster...and has ripped the Republicans into three factions, those loyal to Trump, the extreme right/fiscally conservative side (the ones who want all Medicaid expansion phased out IMMEDIATELY, and they number around 35+ in the House) and then the moderate/centrist side, such as Republican governors like Kasich in states where they're happy with the expansion program and have seen marked cost decreases by covering so many in the pool (the only losers there are the insurance companies, whose profits are limited by taking Medicaid patients).

There's just no way to reconcile those positions and pacify both sides to get a bill through the Senate. And now the House doesn't even want to vote out of (justifiable) fear that they'll be providing the Democrats 2018 campaign material when the legislation doesn't even have a snowball's chance in hell of getting through the more moderate Senate.

But they can't let Obamacare wither on the vine since they promised to repeal it...and have now assumed responsibility for everyone's health care, since they have complete control of the levers of government (except certain courts/judges and the evil left-wing media, haha).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 07:44 PM)
Not sure why you question if I have a straight face when your opinions don't line up with reality. I'm glad you respect President Obama but that doesn't make it as if he can do no wrong. Obama's administration got caught targeting conservatives through the IRS, journalists with the AP scandal, political opponents abroad in Merkel and others, journalists like James Rosen and Michael Hastings. Illegal surveillance was started by Bush's administration but normalized, expanded and abused throughout the Obama years. These are facts not opinions. Everything Obama did set a precedent for Trump. Obama even expanded surveillance reach on his way out.

IRS scandal: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washington...dal-in-one-FAQ/

AP scandal: https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews....ticle-1.1349443

Merkel: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardia...erman-newspaper

Rosen: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/...-134204299.html

Obama'a administration surveillance makes Nixon'a administration look like children putting their ears against walls to eavesdrop. Obviously that's due to technology but your comment is totally off base regardless. Who knows what Obama's administration did behind the scenes with instances where they had the competence to keep their internal investigations, you know, internal.

(Disclosure: This reporter counts Rosen among his friends.)

Sounds like a completely objective, unbiased source of info.

and the New York Daily News? Might as well be the Observer, the Kushners' paper.

Okay.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:08 PM)
When does Trump get his Nobel Peace Prize? I was hoping my genitals would win this year but I understand I can't beat out a new President with only a couple hundred days under his belt.

"In this case, he (Trump) has no opponent," Santorum said. "And who he's hurting is not a rival, he's hurting himself, because he's now the president and it doesn't matter whether he blames Barack Obama or not. People don't care about Barack Obama anymore. They care about one person. They care about the president, and he's the president." cnn.com

Well, it's also more likely that Kate McKinnon, Alec Baldwin or Melissa McCarthy will win Emmy Awards for portraying real people than Conway, Trump or Spicer will win any type of award for their contributions to the country. Actually, now that I think about it, Trump does deserve an award from the Netherlands for scaring their electorate away from going populist/nationalist. In fact, the same exact thing might happen in France, Germany and Italy over the course of this year...so Trump is NON-INTENTIONALLY contributing more than anyone else in the world (not named George Soros, who has to be the 2nd choice here) to reunifying the EU and foiling Steve Bannon's plans for meddling like a Scooby Doo villain in the New World Order. So Trump should get one as well, why not? Mockery is fun.

(Then again, nuclear war on the Korean Peninsula or war with China over Pacific...yea vote cancelled.)

Meanwhile, perhaps the GOP should secure someone who has ACTUALLY won the Nobel Prize in Economics to explain why their budget and health care initiatives won't work and how to fix them?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/201...-resigns-236147

REPORTER QUITS IJR NEWSITE OVER OBAMA CONSPIRACY STORY

The last straw, they said, was a post published earlier on Thursday connecting former President Barack Obama's visit to Hawaii with a Hawaiian federal judge's ruling against President Donald Trump's revised travel ban. The since-retracted post meticulously pointed out all the possible connections between Obama's visit and the judge, including that they attended Harvard at the same time, that Obama appointed the judge, and that a restaurant Obama ate at during his trip was close to the federal courthouse.

"This is not to allege the former president met with Judge Derrick Watson, but merely to point out the timing and the opportunity was there ahead of a controversial court ruling," the story states.

The theory of Obama having a connection to the federal judge's ruling was also promoted on sites with a conspiracy theory bent including InfoWars and Gateway Pundit.

Shortly after the story was posted, it received an editor's note that said: "This story has been updated to remove unnecessary speculation about the timing of the visit. We apologize for any undue conclusions that might have been drawn from the report."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
Not sure why you question if I have a straight face when your opinions don't line up with reality. I'm glad you respect President Obama but that doesn't make it as if he can do no wrong. Obama's administration got caught targeting conservatives through the IRS, journalists with the AP scandal, political opponents abroad in Merkel and others, journalists like James Rosen and Michael Hastings. Illegal surveillance was started by Bush's administration but normalized, expanded and abused throughout the Obama years. These are facts not opinions. Everything Obama did set a precedent for Trump. Obama even expanded surveillance reach on his way out.

IRS scandal: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washington...dal-in-one-FAQ/

AP scandal: https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews....ticle-1.1349443

Merkel: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardia...erman-newspaper

Rosen: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/...-134204299.html

Obama'a administration surveillance makes Nixon'a administration look like children putting their ears against walls to eavesdrop. Obviously that's due to technology but your comment is totally off base regardless. Who knows what Obama's administration did behind the scenes with instances where they had the competence to keep their internal investigations, you know, internal.

--IRS had nothing to do with surveillance - at worst it was more audits to make people's lives more difficult. But also there was never any evidence of Obama or his cabinet or inner circle having anything to do with it.

--Not touching Merkel because again, we are talking domestic surveillance here which is a very different thing.

--As for the AP and Rosen stuff that actually was surveillance, those were investigations via the FBI that went through all the legal channels and were approved.

So again, no evidence of anything at all in the way of illegal surveillance. The idea that a President would do what Trump is accusing Obama of doing is beyond anything since Watergate.

Did you seriously try to make the case that one instance of COURT-APPROVED surveillance (the AP/Rosen stuff) is somehow worse than Nixon's illegal spying? Do the courts and the system not even matter to you? If you want to discuss that the law should change to make it harder to get warrants, that's a different discussion. But the facts are quite clear here, there is no evidence of per se illegal (outside the process) domestic surveillance on Obama's part or Bush's part for that matter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 06:58 AM)
Who are these morons who pay attention to things like infowars? Do you have to wear a tinfoil hat to get the signal?

I've wondered this for years. They pull stuff out of thin air and feeble minded people take it as fact. Blows my mind.

Alex Jones belongs in a straight jacket.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:12 AM)
--IRS had nothing to do with surveillance - at worst it was more audits to make people's lives more difficult. But also there was never any evidence of Obama or his cabinet or inner circle having anything to do with it.

--Not touching Merkel because again, we are talking domestic surveillance here which is a very different thing.

--As for the AP and Rosen stuff that actually was surveillance, those were investigations via the FBI that went through all the legal channels and were approved.

So again, no evidence of anything at all in the way of illegal surveillance. The idea that a President would do what Trump is accusing Obama of doing is beyond anything since Watergate.

Did you seriously try to make the case that one instance of COURT-APPROVED surveillance (the AP/Rosen stuff) is somehow worse than Nixon's illegal spying? Do the courts and the system not even matter to you? If you want to discuss that the law should change to make it harder to get warrants, that's a different discussion. But the facts are quite clear here, there is no evidence of per se illegal (outside the process) domestic surveillance on Obama's part or Bush's part for that matter.

The White House had to formally apologize to Britain today for trying to accuse them of colluding with Obama in spying on Trump.

I really don't get why people bring up "BUT WE SPIED ON MERKEL!" as proof of anything. It seems like it'd be a dereliction of duty if a country wasn't keeping tabs on foreign leaders both friendly and otherwise. I'm sure Germany etc. have espionage efforts against the US. The rest of this stuff was just an irrelevant Gish Gallop to try to somehow prove that Trump's completely unfounded and very serious claims based on rightwing media wasn't insane.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 17, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
I've wondered this for years. They pull stuff out of thin air and feeble minded people take it as fact. Blows my mind.

Alex Jones belongs in a straight jacket.

ALEX JONES WOULD BEAT UP THAT STRAIGHT JACKET!!!!!!!!!!!