Keith Law Top 100

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 07:43 AM)
He might not have Keller in the top 20....I'm thinking for sure he has: Moncada, Giolito, Kopech, Swanson, Benintendi, Reyes, Rodgers, Meadows, Robles, Crawford, Rosario, Devers, Torres, Jimenez, Groome, Bellinger, and Senzel. That leaves 3 spots for: Josh Bell, Tyler, Jay, Nick Williams, and Brady Aiken probably.

I'm guessing the other 3 in his top 20 are Keller, tyler O'Neil, and Francisco mejia

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Will he rank Kopech if he thinks he's a reliever?

He had Kopech ranked #45 at midseason last year, and wrote that after seeing him in the AFL that he showed top of the rotation potential, so I don't think he sees Kopech as a reliever.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Will he rank Kopech if he thinks he's a reliever?

Kopech absolutely has the frame at 6'3" , 205 lbs to start in the majors

His floor is as a reliever, but I firmly believe he will stick as a starter and do well

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 10:32 AM)
He had Kopech ranked #45 at midseason last year, and wrote that after seeing him in the AFL that he showed top of the rotation potential, so I don't think he sees Kopech as a reliever.

http://www.fanragsports.com/mlb/pleskoff-s...michael-kopech/

Pleskoff's scouting report from October 2016 on Kopech is pretty much glowing

FV 60 - An All Star Quality Power Pitcher

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)
20 at-bats in the majors (coming out of AA) with 12 k's moved him down that much?

That's nuts.

It's so f***ing ridiculous. Dude has plus, plus tools across the board and absolutely raked in the minors in his first season since defecting from Cuba. How would 20 at-bats change when he should have never been called up change his prospect status?

He said he wraps his bat and can't get to stuff inside, which was concerning enough to drop his likely ceiling. Take that for what you will.

Well that's concerning...at least a little bit.

You were right he went and left Rey Lopez off the top 100. Which to me is a bit ridiculous and screams 'HE HATES THE SOX' more than the Moncada ranking which at least seems kinda justified.

Edited by Con te Giolito

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 08:47 AM)
He said he wraps his bat and can't get to stuff inside, which was concerning enough to drop his likely ceiling. Take that for what you will.

If he has close to the top bat speed in the minors despite this...it's not so difficult to fix.

A switch-hitter, Moncada has electric bat speed and is dangerous from both sides of the plate. He has made notable improvements in his second pro season, adding more loft to his swing and more patience to his approach.Moncada's home run percentage per at-bat has risen from 2.6 in 2015 to 3.7 (6.2 in Double-A) this year, while his walk percentage per plate appearance has increased from 11.6 to 14.6.

Moncada's best pure tool is his speed, which is well above average and earns 70 grades on the 20-80 scouting scale from some evaluators. He knows how to use it on the basepaths, where he has the acumen to steal a lot of bases with a high success rate (86 percent in pro ball). Moncada has been slowed, however, since spraining his left ankle in early August, and he attempted only one steal in 11 games after his return.

Few players can match Moncada's offensive potential. He projects as a .280 hitter with 20 homers and 40 steals in his prime. While Moncada won't deliver those numbers right away, he should be an upgrade over Shaw and Hill.

Not really a bat speed issue here...

The difference is all the difference. While Benintendi proved he was ready to play every day by recognizing the ways he was being pitched to and adapting accordingly, Moncada has looked lost as Padres pitchers have challenged him with curveballs, sliders and changeups. In Tuesday night's 5-1 victory, he struck out four times on 20 pitches, 11 of which were fastballs. That came after Monday's 2-1 loss, in which he whiffed three times on 18 pitches, only three fastballs.

"They've thrown a lot of [off-speed pitches] and it's been throwing me off a little bit," Moncada said through interpreter Daveson Perez. "But I just have got to work on seeing them better and making contact. These weren't my first strikeouts, and they won't be my last. Just got to keep moving forward and know that the players that strike out are the players that are actually playing in the game."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 08:33 AM)
http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=6270

40. Walker Buehler RHP LAD

39. Amir Garrett LHP Cincinnati

38. Lewis Brinson OF Milwaukee

37. Francis Martes RHP Houston

36. Ronald Acuna OF Atlanta

35. Leody Taveras OF Texas

34. Corey Ray OF Milwaukee

33. Kevin Newman SS Pittsburgh

32. Kolby Allard LHP Atlanta

31. Alex Verdugo OF LAD

30. Mickey Moniak OF Philadelphia

29. Dominic Smith 1B NYM

28. James Kapreilian RHP NYY

27. Clint Frazier OF NYY

26. Ozhiano Albies SS Atlanta

25. Tyler Glasnow RHP Pittsburgh

24. Manuel Margot OF San Diego

23. Cal Quantrill RHP Stanford

22. Blake Rutherford OF NYY

21. Anderson Espinosa RHP San Diego

20. Jason Groome LHP Boston

19. Brendan Rodgers SS Colorado

18. Francisco Mejia C Cleveland

17. Yoan Moncada 2B White Sox

16. Mitch Keller RHP Pittsburgh

15. Nick Senzel 3B Cincinnati

14. Josh Bell 1B Pittsburgh

13. Lucas Giolito RHP White Sox

12. Eloy Jimenez OF Cubs

11. Rafael Devers 3B Boston

10. Alex Reyes RHP St. Louis

9. Austin Meadows OF Pittsburgh

8. Victor Robles OF Washington

7. Michael Kopech RHP White Sox

6. Cody Bellinger 1B/OF LAD

5. J.P. Crawford SS Philadelphia

4. Gleyber Torres SS NYY

3. Amed Rosario SS NYM

2. Dansby Swanson SS Atlanta

1. Andrew Benintendi OF Boston

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
Everyone is going to have their own views and opinions on players. I don't really understand why people get upset about rankings.

Agree completely. For instance, if Gary Sanchez (after his phenom debut where he absolutely raked and stayed at catcher) were eligible and ranked, he would easily be #1. I bring him up because his GM said that Sanchez would have been the equivalent of Moncada if NYY were to compare w Boston's Chris Sale deal. Everyone's views are different and an opinion...don't get too high or too down about it. On the bright side, you could also take the pundits' rankings with a grain of salt and feel a little better about the fact that an actual respected GM who makes the deals thinks so highly of Yoan.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 27, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
Agree completely. For instance, if Gary Sanchez (after his phenom debut where he absolutely raked and stayed at catcher) were eligible and ranked, he would easily be #1. I bring him up because his GM said that Sanchez would have been the equivalent of Moncada if NYY were to compare w Boston's Chris Sale deal. Everyone's views are different and an opinion...don't get too high or too down about it. On the bright side, you could also take the pundits' rankings with a grain of salt and feel a little better about the fact that an actual respected GM who makes the deals thinks so highly of Yoan.

Just like any opinion articles, these rankings are made for debate. Law gets more attention for ranking Moncada #17 as opposed to #1. Just the same as he gets more attention for ranking Kopech #7 rather than mid twenties like most publications will do. In my opinion, these ranking systems are like Mel Kiper or other analysts that do NFL mock drafts. They put them out a few times before the draft starts, but there is never any research afterwards to see if they were accurate or not. If there was an analysis of accuracy, I'm guessing Kiper would have lost his job a long time ago.