Keith Law Top 100

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
When did I call him immortal? I sense an edginess that I don't really find warranted.

All I am saying is if you go back and read Keith Law when KW was in charge, (and I am not exactly a KW fan myself) there is no way you can come to a conclusion he was a neutral observer. I think it has changed a bit since Hahn has taken over, but there still seems to be something there. I think his ranking of Tatis was based on it. I really think the guy has a problem with KW, whatever it is and that has influenced a lot of thinking regarding White Sox prospects over the years.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. It's how they perform. Law's writing is for entertainment purposes only. It would be interesting to see of MLB, BA, BP, Law, and the others, whose rankings actually have been most accurate. It's probably too hard to measure.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
All I am saying is if you go back and read Keith Law when KW was in charge, (and I am not exactly a KW fan myself) there is no way you can come to a conclusion he was a neutral observer. I think it has changed a bit since Hahn has taken over, but there still seems to be something there. I think his ranking of Tatis was based on it. I really think the guy has a problem with KW, whatever it is and that has influenced a lot of thinking regarding White Sox prospects over the years.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks. It's how they perform. Law's writing is for entertainment purposes only. It would be interesting to see of MLB, BA, BP, Law, and the others, whose rankings actually have been most accurate. It's probably too hard to measure.

He doesn't like the way the Sox used to do business. I don't either. KW drafted "athletes" and JR didn't believe in spending on amateurs. That's how you end up with back end starters and former football players with no baseball skills. I blame much of the poor draft history on Jerry Reinsdorf. Law stated a couple years back that things changed under Hahn. I don't believe that he rates White Sox prospects differently because they are White Sox prospects. He loved Kopech regardless. He would have disliked Fulmer regardless of what team he was on. You are entitled to your opinion about Tatis but I think that thought process is nuts personally.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
I still don't understand why people think Beckham was rushed. It's not like he was overmatched when he came up, he hit .270/.347/.460 in his rookie season in over 400 PA.

He never got a chance to fail until the major league level.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
I don't think Law has a White Sox bias, but IMO he purposely goes for some shock rankings to drive traffic/attention.

Tatis Jr. in the top 50 is a perfect example of a "shock" ranking based off little tangible production

I'm not saying he will or will not pan out, but putting him that high will certainly get attention when no other publication even has him in the top 100

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 10:20 PM)
Wite, please explain the gaps on that graph.

Apologies for the very late response on this, but these are based on likelihood of outcomes through the KATOH projection system. As hi8is mentioned, KATOH views Tatis Jr as a boom or bust player, most likely being a player who will bust based upon the track record of this type of player, but acknowledging that there's a chance he comes up and is not productive, that he is mildly productive, and that he turns into an average or better regular starting player.

I'm guessing because there was a KATOH projection for him, they posted it. People have been clamoring for Kevin Maitan in a trade with the Braves, but if he were to have a KATOH projection chart for him, he'd probably end up somewhere around a 50% chance of no MLB simply because players so young are often unpredictable. If he hits this year, that chart will change drastically.