2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 07:42 PM)
They are morons. Spread one barely true headline and a guy doesn’t get a job. Incredible. Glad to have him probably longer term now.

Ehhh people hated the hire and threw everything they had against it. Had UT floated Schiano days prior they could have avoided this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
Nebraska has great facilities and great fans. But Prop 48 and steroids aren’t coming back. They aren’t a “blue blood”

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
I had a similar thought when he called Nebraska a blue blood. It's hard to be a blue blood still when the program is averaging 5 losses per year for over a decade.

lol. I am fully aware Nebraska has been down for a while, and I am very skeptical that they can ever return to being what they were from 1962-2001, but Nebraska is a blue blood. A blue blood in college football is defined by wins (at least 800), Multiple national titles since AP era began (1936), at least a .700 all time winning %, and multiple Heisman winners over a long history, not what has happened in just a 10 year span. That's why it's a blue blood and not a new blood.

After Barry Switzer left OU, they went 68-55-3 over 11 seasons. Bob Stoops turned them around in 2000. Did that cause them to lose blue blood status?

After Gene Stallings retired at Bama they went 74-60 from 1997 through 2007 (Saban's 1st season), or 53-60 if you want to take away the wins they had to vacate. Did they lose blue blood status?

Michigan is 147-79 since 2000. Are they a blue blood? Michigan is 74-52 the last 10 years. They have 1 national title since 1949.

Nebraska is 150-83 since 2000. Nebraska is 86-47 the last 10 years.

Notre Dame is 138-86 since 2000. Notre Dame is 81-46 the last 10 years. They haven't won a title since 1988. Are they still a blue blood?

Texas is 52-48 the last 8 seasons. Are they a blue blood?

USC went 71-58-3 over 11 seasons until Pete Carroll turned them around in 2002. Probably should have lost their blue blood status as well.

In my opinion college football is and always will be about having the right head coach in charge.

OU struggled with Gibbs, Schnellenberger, and Blake. Hired Stoops and they are great again.

Bama struggled with DuBose and Shula. Hired Saban and they are great again.

Michigan struggled with Rich Rod, Hoke, and hasn't finished above 3rd in their division under Harbaugh.

Nebraska struggled with Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and Riley. As a Husker fan, I hope Scott Frost is the answer.

Texas struggled at the end of Mack's run after losing to Bama, under Strong, and in the 1st year under Herman.

Hell even Ohio St. somehow went 6-7 in the season between Tressel and Urban. That is the only season in their last 12 years that Ohio St. didn't win double digit games.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
I agree. Over at least the next two years it is way more likely that Lovie leaves on his own than he gets fired. The program was an absolute dumpster fire, Whitman came in as the new young AD and he bet all his chips in Lovie, he is not giving up that quickly.

My concern is there was very little improvement over the course of the season. In fact, in many areas they regressed. Yes, they're young. Yes, they were hit with a good amount of injuries. But that doesn't excuse the very questionable play calling, the constant mental mistakes/penalties, etc.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
Notice the schools you listed and their proximity to recruiting hotbeds. One doesn’t belong.

Thank you captain obvious, I fully realize that. I even noted it in my previous post. It is the main reason why I don't see Nebraska being elite ever again, or at the very least struggling mightily to get back there.

Within a 250 mile radius from campus here is the population surrounding the 8 blue bloods.

Alabama (Tuscaloosa) 22.7 million

Michigan (Ann Arbor) 40.7 million

Ohio St. (Columbus) 35.9 million

Nebraska (Lincoln) 8.6 million

Notre Dame (South Bend) 42.9 million

Oklahoma (Norman) 15.6 million

Texas (Austin) 23.8 million

USC (Los Angeles) 28.2 million

QUOTE (Sox Fan In Husker Land @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:48 PM)
Thank you captain obvious, I fully realize that. I even noted it in my previous post. It is the main reason why I don't see Nebraska being elite ever again, or at the very least struggling mightily to get back there.

Within a 250 mile radius from campus here is the population surrounding the 8 blue bloods.

Alabama (Tuscaloosa) 22.7 million

Michigan (Ann Arbor) 40.7 million

Ohio St. (Columbus) 35.9 million

Nebraska (Lincoln) 8.6 million

Notre Dame (South Bend) 42.9 million

Oklahoma (Norman) 15.6 million

Texas (Austin) 23.8 million

USC (Los Angeles) 28.2 million

If Nebraska can never be elite again, then they probably aren't a Blue blood. And your whole coaching argument earlier pretty much proves that there really aren't any true blue bloods, because coaching is what matters. Look at Alabama before Saban.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 08:08 PM)
My concern is there was very little improvement over the course of the season. In fact, in many areas they regressed. Yes, they're young. Yes, they were hit with a good amount of injuries. But that doesn't excuse the very questionable play calling, the constant mental mistakes/penalties, etc.

There are definitely reasons to be concerned. I'm not convinced Lovie is the solution, but you might as well give him time. Its been The 2nd worst major college program for a while, what are your other options anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 09:02 PM)
If Nebraska can never be elite again, then they probably aren't a Blue blood. And your whole coaching argument earlier pretty much proves that there really aren't any true blue bloods, because coaching is what matters. Look at Alabama before Saban.

Again, a blue blood in college football is a team that has over 800 all time wins, a .700 all time winning %, multiple national titles since the AP era (1936), and Heisman winners. If Nebraska falls below the .700 winning% threshold they will cease to be a blue blood. I also said I am skeptical of them becoming elite again, not that it was a foregone conclusion.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)
I love how they also believe they are a blue blood. UT is second or third tier in their own conference.

Stop. History of college football doesn't exist since 2008. But yeah, the last decade has been horrendous. No fan base has had it worse. The administration is killing us and is totally incompetent. But bring in the right football coach, and things change. Being the big state school in a state that is seeing an noticeable increase in high school talent, plus having several billionaire boosters and the facilities that we have, not hard to see us getting back to where we were pre-2008.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 12:02 AM)
Stop. History of college football doesn't exist since 2008. But yeah, the last decade has been horrendous. No fan base has had it worse. The administration is killing us and is totally incompetent. But bring in the right football coach, and things change. Being the big state school in a state that is seeing an noticeable increase in high school talent, plus having several billionaire boosters and the facilities that we have, not hard to see us getting back to where we were pre-2008.

UT has won its own conference only 5 times in the last 50 years. I don’t consider that top tier.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
I'm just tired of Kelly and his coordinators blowing games at the end of the season every year.

Wimbush is not a starting quarterback at this point in college. He has no touch and can't think on his feet when under duress.

He's gonna be a good QB IMO, just needs some time.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 01:02 AM)

No fan base has had it worse? Illinois fans say hi.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 26, 2017 -> 09:08 PM)

The talent they had this year was MAC level, and not high end MAC. The freshmen played because they were better than juniors and seniors, which is terrible.

I also saw improvement from individuals but the team has a lot of work to do. But it’s hard to evaluate with so many freshmen playing. Next year should give us a better indication if this is going to work.

If love can get us to 7 wins consistently then he was worth every penny. I think we are all seeing the true effect of Beckmann, scandal, Cubit.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
The talent they had this year was MAC level, and not high end MAC. The freshmen played because they were better than juniors and seniors, which is terrible.

I also saw improvement from individuals but the team has a lot of work to do. But it’s hard to evaluate with so many freshmen playing. Next year should give us a better indication if this is going to work.

If love can get us to 7 wins consistently then he was worth every penny. I think we are all seeing the true effect of Beckmann, scandal, Cubit.

Speaking of MAC talent, remember when they snuck by Ball State in week 1? Ball State had 5 conference games where they gave up 50+ while scoring less than 20. That's lower end MAC level.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)

This wasn't true at every position.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 01:02 AM)

I get how Dooley was a "find anyone willing to take the job and get us back to stable" kind of hire, but was Butch Jones really that bad of a coaching hire? I was still on campus when he arrived. He had a strong reputation. He seemed to bring in good recruiting classes. He had the players he needed, but basically that team fell apart this year.

So seriously, what was the deal with him? He was in a position where he should have been able to succeed and he had the raw ingredients to succeed. He had the recruits. Was he somehow an unusually terrible coach or are there deeper issues here?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 27, 2017 -> 08:01 PM)
Iowa State extends Matt Campbell, 6 years, 22.5 million

Good for the Cyclones because I love them but the only way he finishes that contract is if he disappoints. If they keep winning, he is so gone, but that's just the nature of college sports.

I don't know, that contract isn't that crazy and it's a nice way to build recruiting momentum. Without any idea of how the buyout changed it's kinda whatever.

For instance, it's likely Missouri extends Odom since he only has 3 years left on deal. Buyout on those years is likely to be minimal.