2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Oh they stopped recruiting him awhile ago, not who I was referring to. That story was accurate, but not accurate.

Woodbey? OSU's class is still absurdly good but for a while it looked like they had a shot at an all time great class (on paper). Still a class everyone else in the Big 10 would kill for. Hell, most schools in the Big 10 would kill to have as many 4 and 5* as OSU has this year over a 5 year period.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
Woodbey? OSU's class is still absurdly good but for a while it looked like they had a shot at an all time great class (on paper). Still a class everyone else in the Big 10 would kill for. Hell, most schools in the Big 10 would kill to have as many 4 and 5* as OSU has this year over a 5 year period.

Parsons.

Woodbey they want, but hes probably flipping to USC and staying home.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)
Sorry, I meant 5*s OSU lost in the last week. I was wondering if you were referring to Woodbey as one of them.

Not yet, but its about to happen. It was almost the all time great class. I expect Georgia to sign the #1 class now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
My favorite part is you being upset that you will lose on a couple five stars and probably now offer and flip recruits that were the top of the class for other schools.

I wonder how that would work. Say you are a 3 star guy, maybe a borderline 4 star, and OSU offers you now. Do you really want to go there? Sure you will win all the time, but will you get a legit shot at playing? You know some 5 starts are coming the next year, and there probably is a few 4 or 5 stars in front of you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
I wonder how that would work. Say you are a 3 star guy, maybe a borderline 4 star, and OSU offers you now. Do you really want to go there? Sure you will win all the time, but will you get a legit shot at playing? You know some 5 starts are coming the next year, and there probably is a few 4 or 5 stars in front of you.

Every kid is different, but most kids, especially in a recruiting cycle, have egos that are stroked and built up. Part of it is self-confidence, part of it is the recruiting environment. That long term realistic view tends to go out the window in these emotional decisions. It's a big reason why we see transfers every year.

Side note: I don't blame any kid at all for jumping on an offer to a blueblood, the chance to win and compete with the best is a huge allure.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 03:24 PM)
My favorite part is you being upset that you will lose on a couple five stars and probably now offer and flip recruits that were the top of the class for other schools.

Thats the name of the game. If you want to win a national title you need to recruit top 5 classes. Period.

But keep in mind, there are not a ton left after the early signing period this year. In a regular year they would be working on flipping guys for the next two months. I believe the early signing period helps the non-blue bloods the most.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)

Its like that way with 4 stars too. Many would prefer to play right away and not redshirt or work their way up on special teams. 3 stars who want to compete definitely can make an impact and several have been put into the NFL even with only one year of actual playing time.

on this year's team there are 4 3 star players starting from the 2016 recruiting class, 4 3 star players from the 2015 class, one from the 2014 class and two from the 2013 class.

Of the three stars dating back to 2012, 12 are playing or have played in the NFL and 5 were or are about to be first round draft picks.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 02:48 PM)
Michigan is not a good football team.

Awful forgettable season. No QB all year and Tarik Black getting hurt was bigger than i thought. Total choke in 2nd half. Just gave it away in 2nd half.

Now we see why Harbaugh went and got Shea.