2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm confused by your premise, neither of those teams were put in the championship, and I'm saying if the decision for #4 will be between a OSU/Bama/USC vs. an Oklahoma State/Baylor/TCU level team...we all know who gets that slot.

Ah ok, I misunderstood your premise. SOS is what doomed those teams. This year SOS didnt really matter.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 3, 2017 -> 09:49 AM)
Don’t disagree at all. This argument shouldn’t have just been these two.

I think they made the right call. Auburn is good, but you can't overlook the # of losses. I think USC is playing good football right now, but they had some bad losses. I don't think I could pick anyone but Alabama for the 4th spot.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 05:44 AM)
Auburn is the one that had the worst luck out of everyone. They can't get in the top 4 with 3 losses, but their two regular season losses were against #1 and #17. Then they beat #3, then beat #4 and were rewarded with a re-match against #3 only 7 days later. Without the conference championship games, they seemed to be a clear top 4 team, but couldn't win again.

I think the top 4 system is great. Nobody got shunned this year, OSU, Bama, and USC all had major flaws in their resume, Bama just got the luck of the draw. the 4 team system keeps the regular season exciting, but still makes sure all deserving teams get in. There some potential kick ass matchups on New Years Day. Plus, my college will never be considered for the playoff so I never have to worry about getting the short end of the stick.

I agree with you. I used to want 8, but I actually think 4 is really good and it keeps everything really exciting up until the final week of the season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
Ah ok, I misunderstood your premise. SOS is what doomed those teams. This year SOS didnt really matter.

Yep, but SOS only truly kills non-blue bloods. If you want to get in that top 4, you gotta be perfect. If Alabama has a blemish, they still know alabama will be good on the mainstage. But nobody wants to go out on a limb for UCF or something and then see them blown out. If Alabama or OSu gets blown out, just shows how incredible the other team was.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 4, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
I agree with you. I used to want 8, but I actually think 4 is really good and it keeps everything really exciting up until the final week of the season.

The last two years selections have started to kill the conference title game. I hope something comes up that changes that because its really really exciting to win the conference IMO.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 6, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Keep the faith

So hard to tell the fake scouts vs real ones. Seen a few day 3 grades which makes me feel better. The NFL talking heads kept saying day 1 grade (Dilfer, etc) which seemed crazy to me. If he gets a 1st round grade he should leave.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
Shea Patterson transferring from Ole Miss to Ann Arbor. That's an upgrade.

Is he as legit as everyone says? Been following the rumors for a couple of weeks but don't watch Ole Miss games.

Wonder if Peters transfers if Shea can play right away.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 12:29 PM)
Is he as legit as everyone says? Been following the rumors for a couple of weeks but don't watch Ole Miss games.

He's awesome, but had a super sketchy recruitment to Ole Miss including possible payment and a job for his brother. Michigan generally is "above" that stuf but desperate times...

;)

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)

With the Auburn game as an exception he was pretty much a bum slayer who sucked against good teams this year. Ole Miss was also out gunned though so hard to have any real takeaways form that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
He's awesome, but had a super sketchy recruitment to Ole Miss including possible payment and a job for his brother. Michigan generally is "above" that stuf but desperate times...

;)

We've been desperate for a QB since Henne graduated. Ha

yOu cAn’T gEt BLuE ChIp ReCrUiTs tO CoMe tO NEbrAsKa

Frost just got his qb.(Adrian Martinez) I have a feeling with Mariota and Milton on his resume+ being a decent college qb in his day, Frost will have no trouble recruiting qbs. Bright future in Lincoln and it’s only been a couple weeks since he took the job. Very impressed. Hopefully lovie can up his game so we can get a winner in champagne.

QUOTE (Whitesoxin2019 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:34 AM)
yOu cAn’T gEt BLuE ChIp ReCrUiTs tO CoMe tO NEbrAsKa

Frost just got his qb.(Adrian Martinez) I have a feeling with Mariota and Milton on his resume+ being a decent college qb in his day, Frost will have no trouble recruiting qbs. Bright future in Lincoln and it’s only been a couple weeks since he took the job. Very impressed. Hopefully lovie can up his game so we can get a winner in champagne.

Nebraska currently has the second to last ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten for 2018.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
Nebraska currently has the second to last ranked recruiting class in the Big Ten for 2018.

From what I see it’s not lack of quality but quantity. Pretty sure they will fill things out and level out in high 20s early 30s in the nation. Just pointing out many were saying frost won’t be able to bring in blue chip recruits to Nebraska. When he has already. A qb at that. If you can consistently recruit bluechip qbs you will eventually content. The big 10 west has been mediocre but it won’t be a surprise to see Nebraska on top most years going forward. Not sold on Iowa or Wisconsin long term.

QUOTE (Whitesoxin2019 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 12:38 PM)
From what I see it’s not lack of quality but quantity. Pretty sure they will fill things out and level out in high 20s early 30s in the nation. Just pointing out many were saying frost won’t be able to bring in blue chip recruits to Nebraska. When he has already. A qb at that. If you can consistently recruit bluechip qbs you will eventually content. The big 10 west has been mediocre but it won’t be a surprise to see Nebraska on top most years going forward. Not sold on Iowa or Wisconsin long term.

Nobody said that. I did appreciate your posts on how PSU and OSU were second tier though. That was fun

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
Nobody said that. I did appreciate your posts on how PSU and OSU were second tier though. That was fun

I said that Urban Meyer would probably be leaving within 2 years and that OSU will fall into the next tier. That's just speculation on my part as a college football fan. I've seen Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Nebraska all go through droughts. It is bound to happen to OSU imo. If you think the OSU job is the #1 job in all of football, then maybe he stays. I'm not so sure it is.

QUOTE (Whitesoxin2019 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)
I said that Urban Meyer would probably be leaving within 2 years and that OSU will fall into the next tier. That's just speculation on my part as a college football fan. I've seen Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Nebraska all go through droughts. It is bound to happen to OSU imo. If you think the OSU job is the #1 job in all of football, then maybe he stays. I'm not so sure it is.

Everyone can make cases for certain schools to be the best job, the fact that OSU is heavily in those discussions is all that really matters. I think Urban, from an outsider perspective, looks pretty darn happy at OSU and being in the Big Ten.

QUOTE (Whitesoxin2019 @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 03:29 PM)

way to go out on a limb that the programs with the most wins (Michigan) and 5th most (Nebraska) are going to have major success. I see Ohio st, penn st, Wisconsin in the next tier. But really a fan of what mich and neb have done during the poll era. Tennessee is due as well.

OSU is the #1 or 1a job in the big ten with zero debate, and easily one of the top in the country. Since the 1930's OSU has never gone a decade with at least 3 conference titles.

Calling OSU second tier in your post is either an attempt at a bad troll job or delusion.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2017 -> 06:22 PM)
OSU is the #1 or 1a job in the big ten with zero debate, and easily one of the top in the country. Since the 1930's OSU has never gone a decade with at least 3 conference titles.

Calling OSU second tier in your post is either an attempt at a bad troll job or delusion.

OSU is no doubt having a very successful 15 years. But don’t act like the Bruce cooper eras were all that great. That’s what tier 2 is. Nothing wrong with it. But that’s where OSU generally was mid 70s til early ‘00s.

QUOTE (Whitesoxin2019 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 12:18 AM)
OSU is no doubt having a very successful 15 years. But don’t act like the Bruce cooper eras were all that great. That’s what tier 2 is. Nothing wrong with it. But that’s where OSU generally was mid 70s til early ‘00s.

Bruce didn’t start until 1979.

They won 7 conference titles between the two of them.

Osu has a .733 winning percentage against conference opponents.

Totally second tier.