2017-18 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 01:19 AM)
Am I wrong in thinking that was one helluva football game? As somebody with no ties to either team and no hatred for either school I thought it was a compelling comeback victory.

Let's rate ourselves as sports fans, what type we are.

When the game ended did you think: "What a choke job by Georgia?"

Or "What a comeback victory by Alabama?"

I chose the latter. I really did see a team completely wear out another team. Alabama even overcame the missed FG. It seemed like Alabama was playing a high school team the latter portions of the game. Georgia has nothing going offensively or defensively during a long long period of time that constituted the comeback.

Kudos to Bama.

And kudos to Nick Saban for showing America what's truly important and setting a great example for all the young players out there! Has a guy get a flag for throwing a punch at a Georgia player. Player comes to sidelines and gets pissed at one of the coaches and takes a swing at him on national tv....is going beserk and has to be restrained. Aaaaaaaand....is still allowed to go back out on the field (and lucky he didn't get another penalty for cloth-lining a GA player. Kudos Saban you jagoff.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 09:18 AM)
And kudos to Nick Saban for showing America what's truly important and setting a great example for all the young players out there! Has a guy get a flag for throwing a punch at a Georgia player. Player comes to sidelines and gets pissed at one of the coaches and takes a swing at him on national tv....is going beserk and has to be restrained. Aaaaaaaand....is still allowed to go back out on the field (and lucky he didn't get another penalty for cloth-lining a GA player. Kudos Saban you jagoff.

Never heard of the ol' clotheslining penalty.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 12:09 PM)
It's the SEC. Every team is awesome so OOC games are not important.

The only team right now that to me has any right to talk trash about scheduling in the SEC is Central Florida. Teams had their chance to prove that the SEC teams didn't belong there. The SEC teams clearly belonged there, they beat the best of the 1 loss teams.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 09:20 AM)
:huh:

my point was...you allow one of your players to act like that...on national tv. It's ok to not only throw a punch on the field...but come off the field and get into it with him and throw a punch at him too?!? Pathetic. And people why kids today act like little asshats sometimes...they see things like that with zero consequences and think it's ok. All about the W....

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 10:59 AM)
Someone tweeted Georgia and Alabama's schedule next year. Cupcake City.

Alabama is at least playing Louisville at a neutral location, but yea the rest of their non-cons are pretty pathetic.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 03:03 PM)
It's amazing that no matter what happens each year, this forum will make sure to talk ad nauseum about how the SEC is overrated and schedules too soft.

And SEC fans will pretend like they won a national title regardless of their team.

Bama did have a soft schedule. Playing one less conference game is easier. Both of those are facts.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 07:23 AM)
And SEC fans will pretend like they won a national title regardless of their team.

Bama did have a soft schedule. Playing one less conference game is easier. Both of those are facts.

I never understand the whole conference pride thing. If you hate a team 364 days a year, how are you going to root for them that one day of the year? I hope OSU loses every playoff game they play. The B1G winning a national title does nothing to make Illinois stop sucking.

Not to mention, the reason all of these SEC teams have to fire coaches every 3 years is because Alabama is so much better than everyone else. If they keep winning and keep recruiting, it just hurts the other SEC teams in the long run, it's harder and harder to make the playoffs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 08:23 AM)
I never understand the whole conference pride thing. If you hate a team 364 days a year, how are you going to root for them that one day of the year? I hope OSU loses every playoff game they play. The B1G winning a national title does nothing to make Illinois stop sucking.

Not to mention, the reason all of these SEC teams have to fire coaches every 3 years is because Alabama is so much better than everyone else. If they keep winning and keep recruiting, it just hurts the other SEC teams in the long run, it's harder and harder to make the playoffs.

If OSU was playing Alabama, and I pretty much hate OSU 364 days a year, I definitely would want them to win. I want all big ten teams to win their bowl games. It's good for the conference. The better other teams are, the better the team you root for in the same conference will have to be.

Maybe it helps OSU more, but they get a top of the line recruiting class just about every year anyway. I think it does help the rest of the conference as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 08:23 AM)

Better conferences helps with recruiting, better conferences means more tv money, better conferences means more exposure.

For the Illinois reference, let's be real, Illinois isn't sucking because OSU won a national title. Illinois sucks because of terrible coaches.

But, because we are in an incredibly financially healthy conference, we were able to spend $8mm+ on our coaching staff and raise money to build a new practice/team facility. So wanting the conference to succeed, gain in reputation, earn larger tv deals, fan bases, etc seems pretty straight forward to me.

Of course, there are teams I will never root for still :ph34r:

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 07:23 AM)

But then they, you know, played two top 5 teams in two weeks and beat them both.

Stop acting like this criticism is this year exclusively. Every year the SEC is guilty and you guys just figure it what it its guilty for this time.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 09:06 AM)
But then they, you know, played two top 5 teams in two weeks and beat them both.

Stop acting like this criticism is this year exclusively. Every year the SEC is guilty and you guys just figure it what it its guilty for this time.

At the end of the day, this is true. The criticism would be more valid if they SEC had lost their playoff games instead of winning them.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 08:47 AM)
Better conferences helps with recruiting, better conferences means more tv money, better conferences means more exposure.

For the Illinois reference, let's be real, Illinois isn't sucking because OSU won a national title. Illinois sucks because of terrible coaches.

But, because we are in an incredibly financially healthy conference, we were able to spend $8mm+ on our coaching staff and raise money to build a new practice/team facility. So wanting the conference to succeed, gain in reputation, earn larger tv deals, fan bases, etc seems pretty straight forward to me.

Of course, there are teams I will never root for still :ph34r:

I'd understand that for a mid-tier conference, but the B1G isn't going anywhere whether or not OSU wins it all or finishes 5th. Zero playoff teams this year and I'm sure the conference will feel zero ill effect given how strong they are.

And as I said earlier, the other SEC teams are less successful on the field because Alabama is so good. Any financial windfall is going to pay old coach's contracts because they couldnt beat Nick Saban.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 10:03 AM)
At the end of the day, this is true. The criticism would be more valid if they SEC had lost their playoff games instead of winning them.

I think the bowl games this year showed that the difference between conferences is negligible at best. I think that they are going to have to find a way for a 6 game playoff. Top 2 get byes. The first week of the playoffs is in early December. And then the final 4 is run the same way. With 6 you can guarantee every big conference 1 spot and the conference gets to decide how they pick their winner. That then leaves 1 spot for everyone else, which could be a 2nd SEC team, or a UCF etc.

4 just seems to small, especially when you have teams with multiple losses getting chances over teams who are undefeated.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 10:35 AM)
I'd understand that for a mid-tier conference, but the B1G isn't going anywhere whether or not OSU wins it all or finishes 5th. Zero playoff teams this year and I'm sure the conference will feel zero ill effect given how strong they are.

And as I said earlier, the other SEC teams are less successful on the field because Alabama is so good. Any financial windfall is going to pay old coach's contracts because they couldnt beat Nick Saban.

Big 10 is just a completely different animal than the SEC. Big 10 is powered by massive alumni and large population bases. Big 10 could literally just play themselves all year and still make money.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 09:06 AM)

Well that has nothing to do with their schedule...

And their schedule hadn’t always been soft comparatively. So not sure what you are getting at.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 08:40 AM)
If OSU was playing Alabama, and I pretty much hate OSU 364 days a year, I definitely would want them to win. I want all big ten teams to win their bowl games. It's good for the conference. The better other teams are, the better the team you root for in the same conference will have to be.

Maybe it helps OSU more, but they get a top of the line recruiting class just about every year anyway. I think it does help the rest of the conference as well.

I wanted the big ten to go 7-1 in the bowl games. But i would never chant Big Ten if a other team won national title. It’s stupid.