Blue Jays have "discussed" Robertson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 12:31 AM)
Even if there is interest in him, hard to believe teams would be willing to give up much more than a middling prospect.

if money is not an issue for the white sox, they can hold out and see if 2 of their 5-6 veterans become really valuable at the deadline due to strong first halves, and just pay out the ones who are decent or worse. If they are really wanting to move salary, they can take a middling prospect back at any point and shed Robertson's payroll. Team decision.

I think the sox could get a back end top 100 prospect for Robertson with out eating any of his salary as well as a lotto ticket right now, something like Richard Urena & Max Pentecost, if Robertson is healthy and able to recreate his 2015 or the sox eat some of his contract of some combination of both I think they could upgrade their return a bit more at the deadline.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
With Robin out of the picture I would say Robertson would be better managed hopefully. I would be fine with allowing him to pitch to his capabilities and raise his trade value for the deadline or next offseason.

While RV had the final say, cooper did a great deal of advising on handling the pitchers. So, if Rick is willing to listen to cooper, I don't think you'll see a great deal of change in how the pitchers are handled

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
While RV had the final say, cooper did a great deal of advising on handling the pitchers. So, if Rick is willing to listen to cooper, I don't think you'll see a great deal of change in how the pitchers are handled

It seemed To me that Robin misused Robertson, letting him sit for several days before using him in a save situation. Maybe that was due to ouchiness, of course I have no way of knowing. You could sure make a case that he overused the pen in April, and just about broke Zach Duke. This year's team won't need to overtax the pen because we don't figure to contend, but still, I hope to see a better use of the bullpen this year than last.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 06:20 AM)
No doubt that there are probably a few teams looking for bullpen help that are interested in Robertson to some degree. My guess is that those teams will send scouts to the WBC to see how he performs before they make an offer for him.

There will be plenty of scouts there regardless taking a peek at the International talent but there is a chance Robertson never pitches . Depends on how far Team USA gets and if any of the pitchers added before Robertson decide to step aside or have an injury.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 08:03 AM)
Lol

http://www.scout.com/mlb/rumors/story/1749...de-ideas-week-4

Scout.com proposes this deal for Robertson:

Chicago White Sox receive: RHP Erick Fedde, RHP Austin Voth, C Pedro Severino

Washington Nationals receive: RHP David Robertson

I highly doubt a contender like the Nationals goes into the 2017 season without a true closer. Robertson is not elite, but at least he provides a league average closer for the Nats and helps bring stability to the back of the pen.

If Washington would eat the entire contract I would consider that deal. Robertson's value could be considerable at the deadline though when he is owed less money on his contract

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
http://www.scout.com/mlb/rumors/story/1749...de-ideas-week-4

Scout.com proposes this deal for Robertson:

Chicago White Sox receive: RHP Erick Fedde, RHP Austin Voth, C Pedro Severino

Washington Nationals receive: RHP David Robertson

I highly doubt a contender like the Nationals goes into the 2017 season without a true closer. Robertson is not elite, but at least he provides a league average closer for the Nats and helps bring stability to the back of the pen.

If Washington would eat the entire contract I would consider that deal. Robertson's value could be considerable at the deadline though when he is owed less money on his contract

I'd take that in a minute. Fedde has mid rotation potential, Severino can at least be a backup C at the MLB level with the potential to be an above average starter at the position. I don't know Voth, but the two other pieces are a solid enough base for me.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
I'd take that in a minute. Fedde has mid rotation potential, Severino can at least be a backup C at the MLB level with the potential to be an above average starter at the position. I don't know Voth, but the two other pieces are a solid enough base for me.

It's doubtful that the Nats would deal Fedde, their minor league starting pitching depth has taken a huge hit already with the Eaton trade

They have a stacked mlb rotation right now, but concerningly little minor league depth now.

I think the sweet spot for a Robertson deal will be at the deadline

If the Nat's were willing to offer that deal I would think it would already be done. I would take that deal in a heartbeat though. Jones becomes the closer and could potentially bring a really nice haul in July. Everything would line up very well for the Sox.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
If the Nat's were willing to offer that deal I would think it would already be done. I would take that deal in a heartbeat though. Jones becomes the closer and could potentially bring a really nice haul in July. Everything would line up very well for the Sox.

I don't think the Nationals offer Fedde + Voth + Severino though

That would thin out their farm even more. Plus, what team trades arguably its 5 best pitching prospects in one offseason to the same team? Would be pretty unprecedented

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)
I don't think the Nationals offer Fedde + Voth + Severino though

That would thin out their farm even more. Plus, what team trades arguably its 5 best pitching prospects in one offseason to the same team? Would be pretty unprecedented

Agree and that's why I think if the Nat's were willing to offer those three players for Robertson it would already be a done deal. IMHO, the Nat's might offer two of those three but not all three.