Blue Jays have "discussed" Robertson

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 05:24 PM)
Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

now

Sources: Howell deal with #BlueJays in $3M range. Team still looking for RHR at similar price. No recent talks with #WhiteSox on Robertson.

Nate Jones fits exactly what hey are looking for. Jones would make more sense for Toronto than Robertson would.

Anyone care to take a stab at what Toronto would offer for Jones?

Reid-Foley, McGuire, Tellez too much to ask? Sounds a bit high, not sure.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 05:56 PM)
Nate Jones fits exactly what hey are looking for. Jones would make more sense for Toronto than Robertson would.

Anyone care to take a stab at what Toronto would offer for Jones?

Reid-Foley, McGuire, Tellez too much to ask? Sounds a bit high, not sure.

If i'm trading Jones to the Jays, Urena is coming back in the deal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 06:39 PM)
If i'm trading Jones to the Jays, Urena is coming back in the deal.

Not that I wouldn't want Urina but he wouldn't be necessary for Jones. If it were up to me the package would be Urina, McGuire and Tellez but that's probably too much for Jones.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)
Not that I wouldn't want Urina but he wouldn't be necessary for Jones. If it were up to me the package would be Urina, McGuire and Tellez but that's probably too much for Jones.

No, no, that's WAY light, IMO.

I would go for Alford, Urena, Tellez, McGuire.

Look at the Ken Giles trade, Astros traded two top 100 prospects, plus their 2nd RD pick that year, plus another arm.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 01:39 AM)

Look at the Ken Giles trade, Astros traded two top 100 prospects, plus their 2nd RD pick that year, plus another arm.

Jones could be very valuable at the deadline, as could Robertson

Hard to gauge their values right now

That trade along with the infamous Dave Stewart trade aren't the best examples. What I mean is you can't always count on finding a sucker. Both of those trades had alot of baseball people scratching their heads. If Hahn can find a sucker that's great but I'm not counting on it. Plus, part of Giles value was his age, years of control, cheap salary and a Closer, all of which made Giles more valuable at that time than Jones is now. Jones is a setup for the Closer.

Now, if Robertson is traded before the season begins and Jones can become a successful Closer, then we can start aiming higher towards the likes of the Giles trade. But not at this point.

Put it this way. Would you trade Alford, Urena, McGuire and Tellez for setup arm? I sure as hell wouldn't and would be pissed if the Hahn did something like that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
That trade along with the infamous Dave Stewart trade aren't the best examples. What I mean is you can't always count on finding a sucker. Both of those trades had alot of baseball people scratching their heads. If Hahn can find a sucker that's great but I'm not counting on it. Plus, part of Giles value was his age, years of control, cheap salary and a Closer, all of which made Giles more valuable at that time than Jones is now. Jones is a setup for the Closer.

Now, if Robertson is traded before the season begins and Jones can become a successful Closer, then we can start aiming higher towards the likes of the Giles trade. But not at this point.

Put it this way. Would you trade Alford, Urena, McGuire and Tellez for setup arm? I sure as hell wouldn't and would be pissed if the Hahn did something like that.

Even the Indians-Miller deal isn't a great example. A team with a pretty deep farm made that deal. Traded 2 guys in the top 100 for him (along with a couple other pieces) and still had like 5 guys in the top 100 post-trade (I think it is 4 now).

Edited by soxfan2014

agreed

Giles got the #43 ranked prosect in RHP Mark Appel , #69 overall RHP Vincent Velasquez, a back end starting prospect in RHP Thomas Eshelman & spot starter / LOOGY in LHP Brett Oberholtzer for Giles.

If I'm Hahn I would hold out for a package like Alex Verdugo, Gavin Lux and Keibert Ruiz from the Dodgers.

Nate Jones is 31 and has Tommy John surgery. Giles was 26 when he was traded and a clean bill of health. Jones is cost effective but will be 35 in the last year of his contract. If we could get the Giles deal great. That being said, if you sell at the trade deadline, it's possible you get more.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
Holding out for packages from the dodgers results in not trading with the dodgers. Dodgers at this point seem like a team that doesn't ever feel like their trading partners are the ones in the drivers seat.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree as well. To me, there are such obvious holes at the front end of their rotation and the back end of their bullpen that both Q or Jones/Robertson make a ton of sense for them. They spent a ton of money this offseason for good reason to bring back Jansen and Turner. After Kershaw it's a bunch of 4's and 5's. Urias has a chance to be really, really good, but you might waste Kershaw's prime waiting for it to happen.

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Unfortunately, I'd have to agree as well. To me, there are such obvious holes at the front end of their rotation and the back end of their bullpen that both Q or Jones/Robertson make a ton of sense for them. They spent a ton of money this offseason for good reason to bring back Jansen and Turner. After Kershaw it's a bunch of 4's and 5's. Urias has a chance to be really, really good, but you might waste Kershaw's prime waiting for it to happen.

Exactly. He seems like the kind of guy who should still be in the minors building up innings since he's never really thrown many in his career over the course of a season as opposed to being on an MLB team hoping to win right now. He really shouldn't be that relied on. Say if the Dodgers moved him in a deal for a pitcher under control for a while and could throw over 200+ innings right now (cough cough Quintana cough cough), I would assume the acquiring team, if rebuilding, would keep him in the minors for close to a season. Dodgers may be in need a starter in July if not sooner (Ryu, Hill or someone else) can go on the dl and miss significant time.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (striker @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 02:05 PM)
Nate Jones is 31 and has Tommy John surgery. Giles was 26 when he was traded and a clean bill of health. Jones is cost effective but will be 35 in the last year of his contract. If we could get the Giles deal great. That being said, if you sell at the trade deadline, it's possible you get more.

I dont disagree with the age disparity. While teams may have concerns over Jones injury history (most notably his back), TJS isn't really a big deal anymore. In fact, many teams think guys who have had TJS have potentially stronger elbows and less injury risk.