Rangers have increased pursuit of Q?

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 09:28 AM)
You continue to be a huge disappointment to all of us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 09:48 AM)
And look at who this is coming from!

If I had a dollar for every time I heard this....

LOL

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 07:33 AM)
I was going to propose that exact package or one with Reed instead of Laureano.

Regardless, I think either package would be very solid from an overall talent perspective, falling somewhere between the Sale & Eaton returns. Sure, Tucker may not be the positional headliner we were dreaming of, but I honestly think there's a good chance he's a top 20 prospect by mid-season. Laureano seems to be criminally underrated and Reed would be a great buy-low candidate. And while that pick is effectively a low end #2 pick, Hostetler was able to land Hansen, Call, & Fisher after the first round in last year's draft. And I haven't even mentioned Martes who gives us another starting pitching prospect with TOR potential. There's a lot to like here, although I can see why some posters would be disappointed, especially if they don't believe Tucker's power will ever develop or if they think Martes is ultimately a reliever.

In all honesty I like Laureano more than Reed. It's a fair deal for sure. I would take it for sure if they offered both Laureano and Reed instead of just one.

QUOTE (beautox @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 08:30 AM)
I'm on a similar page

Martes/Tucker/Reed/Stubbs/Laureano and we close the book on it and ship Jennings with Q as Tony Sipp is the only LHP in their BP right now ,he of the near -1WAR last year.

Tucker/Laureano/Basabe/Call/Fisher make for exciting outfield prospects to follow. Additionally maybe one of Tilson/Liriano/W. Garcia show something at the major league level.

Even if we want to move Quintana before the season, we absolutely should not settle for a lesser package

Quintana is our final blue chip trade piece and it is imperative that we use him to his fullest value to aid our rebuild. Every piece we can acquire matters.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 10:04 AM)
In all honesty I like Laureano more than Reed. It's a fair deal for sure. I would take it for sure if they offered both Laureano and Reed instead of just one.

Is there a good scouting report you can find on Laureano? I like him as well, but just based off his numbers last year (mostly in A+, but a good 30 game stretch in AA). Gotta love the OBP marks.

I do see that Longenhagen at FanGraphs gave him some solid remarks at the AFL which is encouraging.

Edited by pablo

Someone asked Offman were there any names involved. He just responded this morning saying that no names and there are many other discussions with other teams involved as well.

Yeah so that rumor was nothing unless you want to read between the lines, as expected.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Someone asked Offman were there any names involved. He just responded this morning saying that no names and there are many other discussions with other teams involved as well.

Yeah so that rumor was nothing unless you want to read between the lines, as expected.

It does indicate that for whatever reason, The White Sox wanted it out there that Texas in interested. Ofman tweeted Texas interested at 2:36 yesterday and Bob at 2:41. I'm pretty sure their source is the same person.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 08:40 PM)
The Sox benefit from the NL having more of a race to the bottom - only the A's seem to also be in a no-compete mode in the AL.

If Hahn gets rid of Q, Frazier and Robertson they'll be a 1-1 contender.

Also worth noting, the Sox have acquired two pre-season favorite 1-1s in Rodon and Hansen over the past few years without the first pick.

I think the Twins are pretty much in tank mode as well, which hurts the Sox having a tanking team in the same division.

Going by division:

NL East - Phillies

NL Central - Brewers, Reds

NL West - Padres !!!

AL East - perhaps Rays...not sure yet, they are trying to move their starting pitching and their offense is garbage.

AL Central - Sox, Twins

AL West - A's

The Sox are also hurt from having two re-tooling teams in the division in the Tigers and the Royals while the Padres have three legit playoff contending teams in their division as well as what should be a much improved Rockies. If I were to guess an order based on the rosters today:

1.1 Padres

1.2 Brewers

1.3 Twins

1.4 Reds

1.5 Sox

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
It does indicate that for whatever reason, The White Sox wanted it out there that Texas in interested. Ofman tweeted Texas interested at 2:36 yesterday and Bob at 2:41. I'm pretty sure their source is the same person.

It helps the Sox because it puts pressure on the Astros to make a deal before he goes to a division rival. It also gets it out there that there is another team in the mix, which can push the market up for everyone, which is why the Rangers would immediately deny it.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
I think the Twins are pretty much in tank mode as well, which hurts the Sox having a tanking team in the same division.

Going by division:

NL East - Phillies

NL Central - Brewers, Reds

NL West - Padres !!!

AL East - perhaps Rays...not sure yet, they are trying to move their starting pitching and their offense is garbage.

AL Central - Sox, Twins

AL West - A's

The Sox are also hurt from having two re-tooling teams in the division in the Tigers and the Royals while the Padres have three legit playoff contending teams in their division as well as what should be a much improved Rockies. If I were to guess an order based on the rosters today:

1.1 Padres

1.2 Brewers

1.3 Twins

1.4 Reds

1.5 Sox

It's kind of weird, but I want the Twins, Tigers and Royals to do good this season. I don't want there to be any other teams selling off parts in July (though the Tigers seem to have a harder time then a team like the Royals with guys on bigger deals).

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
It helps the Sox because it puts pressure on the Astros to make a deal before he goes to a division rival. It also gets it out there that there is another team in the mix, which can push the market up for everyone, which is why the Rangers would immediately deny it.

I don't get this logic. It's not like the Sox wouldn't be calling other teams saying that they are talking to the Rangers about so-and-so.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
I don't get this logic. It's not like the Sox wouldn't be calling other teams saying that they are talking to the Rangers about so-and-so.

There is also public pressure from ticket holders and ownership. There is a large PR aspect that goes into making these deals. Look at the Pittsburgh fanbase for instance, they are almost in revolt over their teams hoarding of prospects and what they see as a lack of a commitment to making a deal to put the team over the top. That gets the season ticket holders in a tizzy which makes ownership anxious which leads to pressure being put on the GM to make a deal.

Now, the Astros fans may start saying that they need to go ahead and give up what Q is worth to keep him away from Texas and put pressure on the team to get a deal done. There is a huge issue related to optics in making these kinds of trades. Now when the Astros give up Martes, Tucker, +++ JL can say to his fanbase that it was the price that needed to be paid to get him to Houston and keep him out of Arlington.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
I actually think the Rays and A's will be better than the Sox this year if they trade Q.

I think so too, but they still have Q. If the Rays trade Archer and the Sox trade Q, I still think the Sox would be better. Outside of Longoria, their offense is ridiculously bad, and even he is starting to slip.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 2, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
I think so too, but they still have Q. If the Rays trade Archer and the Sox trade Q, I still think the Sox would be better. Outside of Longoria, their offense is ridiculously bad, and even he is starting to slip.

I really don't think their team is in as bad of shape as others do (Rays that is). But yes, it is probably the worst in the division (done trying to predict that the O's will be close to the bottom) haha