Alex Reyes fails physical, might need surgery

GGajewski18

QUOTE (pablo @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Agreed, makes more sense to re-evaluate at this point. Plus they have Wacha who was going to battle Reyes for this 5th spot in ST. They have 6 guys off the top of my head currently. Sign a cheap FA (not sure who is left) and see what you have in a couple of months.

Martinez

Waino

Leake

Lynn

Wacha

Weaver

Yeah you may as well roll with that and hope for health. That's not a bad rotation but it's hard to know since everyone in NL has an ERA under 3.8 it seems like.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
If he was traded...wouldn't he have to pass a physical!?

Reyes is a stud. I feel bad for the guy and certainly hope for the best.

Not if the team is aware of the condition prior to the trade. The White Sox traded for Jake Peavy while he was on the DL, and Arodys Vizcaino was traded from Atlanta to Chicago like 4 months after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
With that organization, it almost seems like a requirement to have to miss a year due to Tommy John.

Because of the time of year it is now, it would have to be a full season. Typically 9 months is the low end. That would get you back after the world series.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 01:11 PM)
Not if the team is aware of the condition prior to the trade. The White Sox traded for Jake Peavy while he was on the DL, and Arodys Vizcaino was traded from Atlanta to Chicago like 4 months after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

This. A team can sign off on a trade of any player. The receiving team just has to feel like they have all relevant information and they trust the other team. The first part is what got San Diego in trouble this summer. They were running two different data bases on players health, and withholding a bunch of info from the teams they were doing deals with.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
I was getting at the fact that every starter on St. Louis seems to have that surgery at some point in time.

It amazes me that the White Sox push their top starters harder than most any other team in baseball, yet they always have so many less injuries than anyone else does. It is kind of amazing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
It amazes me that the White Sox push their top starters harder than most any other team in baseball, yet they always have so many less injuries than anyone else does. It is kind of amazing.

Yeah haha who are all the Cardinals who have had it over the past few years? Wacha, Wainwright, Lynn, Reyes now, Garcia I think and if you go back farther, Carpenter.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 01:35 PM)
Yeah haha who are all the Cardinals who have had it over the past few years? Wacha, Wainwright, Lynn, Reyes now, Garcia I think and if you go back farther, Carpenter.

Going back and looking at the chart in the Herm thread, the Cardinals are actually only middle of the pack for team injury time.

Ouch, this is a blow to the Cards. Don't see the Cards giving up the high cost it would take to acquire Q but I agree with those that suggest Gonzalez would be a good fit. They can ride Gonzalez for the '17 season while Reyes recovers.

Wonder if this news makes Huntington think a bit more about Q. The subtraction of Reyes from the Cards and an addition of Q to the Pirates roster would be a significant swing. It's possible though I'm not counting on it.

In a perfect world, the Pirates would finally give it up for Q and the Cards make a nice offer for Gonzalez. Would help both NLC teams push the cubs while helping the Sox get a higher draft pick in '18. Nothing wrong with a little day dreaming.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
Ouch, this is a blow to the Cards. Don't see the Cards giving up the high cost it would take to acquire Q but I agree with those that suggest Gonzalez would be a good fit. They can ride Gonzalez for the '17 season while Reyes recovers.

Wonder if this news makes Huntington think a bit more about Q. The subtraction of Reyes from the Cards and an addition of Q to the Pirates roster would be a significant swing. It's possible though I'm not counting on it.

In a perfect world, the Pirates would finally give it up for Q and the Cards make a nice offer for Gonzalez. Would help both NLC teams push the cubs while helping the Sox get a higher draft pick in '18. Nothing wrong with a little day dreaming.

This would be awesome.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)

There are really two factors IMO. The first is outlined really well in the Herm article about the proactive "pre-hab." The other part is Cooper really de-emphazing velocity. He preaches to back off how hard you throw to increase movement. These will go a long way to decreasing stress on the throwing motion.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

now

There is significant concern inside the Cardinals' organization that Alex Reyes, their star pitching prospect, needs Tommy John surgery.

More speculation coming now, we shall see how the Cards react.

It would be tempting to trade for him and send Q to St. Louis. Q helps them win now. The Sox get a potential better pitcher next year. The odds are highly likely that he returns to form after the surgery. It is a gamble but not really much of one.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
It would be tempting to trade for him and send Q to St. Louis. Q helps them win now. The Sox get a potential better pitcher next year. The odds are highly likely that he returns to form after the surgery. It is a gamble but not really much of one.

I highly doubt the sox would accept an injured pitcher as the primary headliner in a quintana deal. Even if the risk is small, why take it?

STL still has watcha to be its fifth starter

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
I highly doubt the sox would accept an injured pitcher as the primary headliner in a quintana deal. Even if the risk is small, why take it?

STL still has watcha to be its fifth starter

Because in a year they could possibly have a better pitcher (and #1 prospect in baseball) than the one they traded plus a couple of extra pieces.

It is a gamble but it could payoff big because they really aren't getting the value from other teams for a Q trade.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
Because in a year they could possibly have a better pitcher (and #1 prospect in baseball) than the one they traded plus a couple of extra pieces.

It is a gamble but it could payoff big because they really aren't getting the value from other teams for a Q trade.

I personally doubt that the cardinals would trade him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)

Also depends on if Reyes would have to go on MLB dl like Profar did and waste a year of service time or if we did what the Angels did with Skaggs and put him in the minors and then on dl.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
Personally I am not a huge fan of trading your best asset for a guy who just went down for Tommy John. Call me crazy.

Way to risky, plus I don't think the Cardinals are looking to move the package it would take.

Sox are being rightfully selective about the quintana trade, and a Reyes based package makes little sense.

Even if Reyes interested the sox, I don't like their other prospects enough to make a deal happen

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)

Once a surgery is done, and the extent of the damage and repair is known, I'd be OK with it. Before then, too many unknowns to sign off on that risk in a deal for a best remaining player.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
Also depends on if Reyes would have to go on MLB dl like Profar did and waste a year of service time or if we did what the Angels did with Skaggs and put him in the minors and then on dl.

This is a really good point. Really if you think of it that way, it is two lost years as the first year back is usually subpar as the player recovers and relearns to pitch.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 14, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
Entertaining the idea of the Cards looking into Gonzalez, I wonder if Sierra would be too much to ask for.

Interesting thought. Sierra plus a lottery ticket would be a nice package for Gonzalez

It's likely they roll with watcha though