Spring Training notes thread

southsider2k5

If the cubs were interested in trading Schwarber he would have been dealt for pitching already. My guess is Theo wants to use this season to build Schwarber's value to trade him next winter for pitching. If he shows he can somewhat play LF and have a good season with the bat, he will have a ton of value next winter. This would allow the cubs more time to develop their young ML outfielders to replace Schwarber in '18. One of Almora/Happ should be ready by ST next year.

Forget Schwarber. Would rather target players like Happ, Almora, Jimenez, Candelario. Schwarber would not come cheap even now and I'd be willing to bet the cubs would want Q or Giolito or Lopez in return. No thanks.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
No one is questioning his offensive ability. He's just a prototypical DH that's forced to play the outfield and is terrible at it.

A prototypical DH, who, also, is putrid against LHP. His value is completely overestimated. He's an asset on an AL team in games vs. a RHP.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Defensive metrics in a 35 game sample? I wouldn't put much weight in that.I've seen them both play and they're both absolutely awful.

You're right in that regard, but Schwarber looks like he has a clue as to what he's doing out there, even if there are severe athletic limitations. Garcia is as lost as anyone could ever be, other than maybe Lastings Milledge.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 01:24 PM)
You're right in that regard, but Schwarber looks like he has a clue as to what he's doing out there, even if there are severe athletic limitations. Garcia is as lost as anyone could ever be, other than maybe Lastings Milledge.

Had so much hope when they brought that guy in on a minor league deal to platoon with Juan Pierre (I think?) at the time haha

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)

He has yet to pull a Canseco and bounce a ball off his head for a HR.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
No one is questioning his offensive ability. He's just a prototypical DH that's forced to play the outfield and is terrible at it.

And you've made this judgement based on about 30 games(if that). Dude has barely played the position in his life and there's some people who are just so convinced that he'll never be able to do it, it's crazy to me.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 08:41 PM)
And you've made this judgement based on about 30 games(if that). Dude has barely played the position in his life and there's some people who are just so convinced that he'll never be able to do it, it's crazy to me.

I think he will be playable out there. Obviously he sucked in the playoffs, but he was so new out there.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)

Yeah, I think the one part is if the ACL has affected his mobility at all.

He would be the cubs only bad defender, I am pretty confident they are a smart enough org to hide him well enough for his bat to play. I do think he'll have some highlight errors though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 02:42 PM)

He would be the cubs only bad defender, I am pretty confident they are a smart enough org to hide him well enough for his bat to play. I do think he'll have some highlight errors though.

And more than a physical limitation is a mental one.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 17, 2017 -> 04:42 PM)

Schwarber just doesn't look that athletic to me and it's not helped by carrying around an extra 20-30lbs in "bad weight". I was surprised he came back from the ACL at what appeared to be his pre-injury weight or even a little higher. I wonder what the Cubs' thoughts are on it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
I think he sucks and the Sox should have cut ties last year but he does seem to have a lot of fans in the org. The guy works. Gotta respect him for that.

Yep. I remember Mike saying this and I was in complete agreement. Say what you will about Avi (and you can say ALOT), but you can never question his work ethic. That kid bust his ass off everyday. Whether its rehabbing an injury (and beats the odds coming back way faster than usual guys) or him running out every grounder to 1st base, the kid is all heart.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 21, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
All usual BS ST fluff stories aside Avi Garcia looks much better than he has in the past. I saw two pictures of him and he looks great. Someone told me if he sucks or doesn't make the team it's not for lack of effort. I think he sucks and the Sox should have cut ties last year but he does seem to have a lot of fans in the org. The guy works. Gotta respect him for that.

I don't think his work ethic was ever in question for me after the way he busted his ass to get back from the shoulder injury.

But I also get being skeptical about his emerging into a real every day player.