2017 NFL off season thread

Yeah, I doubt that. I have a hard time believing that if the Browns offered the 12th overall pick the Patriots would say no.

Now, if they are only getting offers for a mid second round pick. I could see them holding on to him.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradys age and productivity makes this a really tough decision for the Patriots. They may very well see Garrappallo as the future, but Brady doesnt seem to be slowing down, so what do you do? If you want to keep JG, then you are going to have to pay him/match any offer made next offseason, or let him walk which I sincerely doubt they want to do after investing a 2nd rounder in him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah, I doubt that. I have a hard time believing that if the Browns offered the 12th overall pick the Patriots would say no.

Now, if they are only getting offers for a mid second round pick. I could see them holding on to him.

That's total posturing. He's not worth a 1st. They aren't getting a 1st. They have no real leverage either. They can keep him next year but then he'll walk in free agency after the season. Patriots will receive a 2019 comp pick in that scenario. I'd call their bluff.

I presume this is the Patriots trying to drive leverage, that said, none of us know what their actual valuation of Jimmy is and what their plans are. They clearly could maximize value for him in a trade (to help them win now) or they could say, look, we need a QB and this is our guy and we need to find a way to keep him here two more years until Brady retires. For all they know next year Brady's arm will fall off and then what do they do if they move Jimmy (obviously they did draft a guy relatively early last year, but what is there long term view of him vs. Jimmy G, etc).

I did note the Pats did not franchise Hightower and are going to let him test the market.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
That's total posturing. He's not worth a 1st. They aren't getting a 1st. They have no real leverage either. They can keep him next year but then he'll walk in free agency after the season. Patriots will receive a 2019 comp pick in that scenario. I'd call their bluff.

Sam Bradford got a haul...Jimmy G has more upside then Bradford, imo. I think a lot of people tend to undervalue what it will ultimately take to get a QB. Just like I tend to think we'll see a run on QB's in the 1st round, despite all the current reports that there isn't one worth drafting in the top 10. We'll see.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Sam Bradford got a haul...Jimmy G has more upside then Bradford, imo. I think a lot of people tend to undervalue what it will ultimately take to get a QB. Just like I tend to think we'll see a run on QB's in the 1st round, despite all the current reports that there isn't one worth drafting in the top 10. We'll see.

Jimmy has played 2 NFL games and was a Day 2 prospect out of an FCS school. I'd be stunned if they get the 1st round pick they are seeking. I believe that 4 QB's go in the first round as well. I'd rather take one of them then trade a boatload of picks for Jimmy and pay him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 08:41 AM)
Jimmy has played 2 NFL games and was a Day 2 prospect out of an FCS school. I'd be stunned if they get the 1st round pick they are seeking. I believe that 4 QB's go in the first round as well. I'd rather take one of them then trade a boatload of picks for Jimmy and pay him.

I am a Jimmy fan and would be fine with the move (as long as Bears obviously believed in him). I wouldn't give up anything but a late 1st (preferably a 2nd). The wild card is you obviously have to pay him which is a risk that doesn't exist with a QB. Part of it is, how safe / secure do Fox/Pace feel. If I feel safe/secure, I'll take the rookie QB and if I don't like him, I can find a veteran later...if I think I need to win sooner vs. later, I probably roll the dice on Jimmy G. A happy medium might be taking a QB in the 2nd and trading a 3rd for AJ McCarron.

If anyone has the balls to just keep Jimmy G and see how it goes just to spite everyone else its Belichick.

But he also has the balls to make everyone think that hes going to do that just to get people to pony up to get exactly what he wants.

Dammit.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)

It's not about what he's worth, it's about what a team is willing to give up. It only takes one team.

Especially when that one team could be the Browns. Who have 4 picks in the first two rounds.

Edited by GoSox05

In my view the Bears have two ideal scenarios for the draft:

- Browns acquire jimmy G, 49ers love for this ILB from Alabama is real, and Bears get either their top QB choice or get to barter with teams for moving down for a haul

- Browns take top QB, 49ers (again) take the ILB, and Bears get Garrett

But it all relies on the 49ers for my dreams. Yay?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)

Day 2 sounds a lot less bad than it used to. They took him pretty high, he has shown competence, I don't think it's crazy to expect a 1st (especially after the Bradford trade)

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 02:19 PM)
According to this, the Bears have drafted 3 first round caliber players last year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id...os-angeles-rams

We got great value from Whitehair and Howard. Floyd we got decent value out of. Pace had a good draft year, but nowhere near the level that Atlanta had with Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, and Devondre Campbell. They revamped their entire defense in one year.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
Day 2 sounds a lot less bad than it used to. They took him pretty high, he has shown competence, I don't think it's crazy to expect a 1st (especially after the Bradford trade)

I dont know why people keep bringing up Bradford. Bradford and Garoppolo have noting in common besides for both being QBs.

Garaoppolo's more like Matt Flynn than Bradford. Now Garoppolo may turn out to be a lot better than Flynn, but that is the type of risk the Bears would be taking if they trade for him. Not only giving up picks, but also having to sign him to an extension before getting to see him start for a full season.

Its just not something I agree with.

Edited by Soxbadger

If that plays out I wonder if that would be enough to entice Belichick to swap 1st round picks with the Bears and give us Jimmy G. Long shot but maybe he would consider it knowing he can take Garrett with the 3rd pick.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
I would be furious if they did that.

Would you? I am not sure if I would be mad about that. They address the QB position and take a safety. I would be fine with it if they sincerely have Jimmy G tabbed as the next best thing. Far and away better than any QB they could draft.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 04:25 PM)
Would you? I am not sure if I would be mad about that. They address the QB position and take a safety. I would be fine with it if they sincerely have Jimmy G tabbed as the next best thing. Far and away better than any QB they could draft.

With Jimmy you are immediately paying market rate for a QB. You give up your #3 pick.

If we gave up a 2 and a future something for him, maybe. Not giving up a #3 pick for Garappolo and essentially a 2nd rounder.

Greg Gabriel ‎@greggabe

News that Jonathan Allen has moderate arthritis in both shoulders is huge. Fact is arthritic conditions never improve, they only get worse

Soloman Thomas on the other hand has been getting alot of helium. Kid looks like a potential stud.