2017 NFL off season thread

We better not give Glennon or any of these FA QB's long-term guaranteed money. That would be idiotic. I'm okay going with a Glennon or Taylor as long as it is short-term and we are still planning on drafting a QB in the second round that is going to be groomed. We need to invest in the QB spot and continue to do so until we get it right.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 07:57 PM)
When does free agency start? And wite, do you not think that highly of Gilmore?

Really talented player, flashes top 3 or top 5 cornerback at times, but he's erratic and gets stupid penalties and burned a lot. Very inconsistent. Also got banged up quite frequently.

Pats are willing to trade Garoppolo

A league source told the Cleveland Plain Dealer the Patriots are willing to trade Jimmy Garoppolo "if the offer is right."

This disputes a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter. "Everything is still on the table," a source told the Plain Dealer. It's notable that this would appear in a Cleveland paper, as the Patriots would likely be willing to do business with a quarterback-needy team they don't see as a threat. The Browns check both of those boxes and have the ammunition to satisfy New England's demands. The Plain Dealer thinks the Patriots "will want a first-round pick and more."

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

That did not take long to dispute.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 2, 2017 -> 10:26 PM)
Jets just released Brandon Marshall...

And Jeff Darlington is reporting that it could have something to do with Cutler going there:

Jeff Darlington‏Verified account @JeffDarlington 2h2 hours ago

It's an amicable parting between Marshall and the Jets. And keep one more little thought in mind in coming days. It rhymes with Cay Jutler.

Any outside chance that Garrett could fall to the Bears are now gone I think. Dear God did he destroy the combine.

That being said, I wonder if the Bears look at someone like Solomon Thomas over Jonathan Allen. Allen didn't have a good combine and has arthritis in both shoulders apparently. Thomas had a really good combine and looked dominant at points this year (especially against unc in the bowl game)

As we head into FA, I'm nervous as a Bears fan. The cutting of "problem talent" for building a new culture has gotten more tired as they have not been replaced.

If Pace fails this year, it's a pretty tall task to recover. 3 GMs in a decade is a lot, 4 is Browns/Raiders territory.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
As we head into FA, I'm nervous as a Bears fan. The cutting of "problem talent" for building a new culture has gotten more tired as they have not been replaced.

If Pace fails this year, it's a pretty tall task to recover. 3 GMs in a decade is a lot, 4 is Browns/Raiders territory.

This is truly a make or break year for Pace. He can survive it if he makes some good moves but to ensure at least another 3-5 years of tenure he will have to hit it big.

I really hope he succeeds too. I generally think he IS bright, and has gotten our scouts on same page.

I think his handling of money has been very smart. But I bet he imagined the spending spree this year to be putting a 7-9 team over the top, not pushing a 3-13 team to a .500 record.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 07:27 AM)
This is truly a make or break year for Pace. He can survive it if he makes some good moves but to ensure at least another 3-5 years of tenure he will have to hit it big.

Other then having like an 0-16 season where all of our free agent / draft moves are bust, I presume Pace is here for at least another year. Most reports seem to indicate that Fox is likely going to be here another year as well with Pace likely getting at least 5 years. I don't like Pace for missing the mark on maximizing Jeffrey's value, but I can respect the fact that he didn't want to pay X for a player and didn't overpay. Curious to see what we do at QB cause I really have no idea what we are going to do.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)

What has to happen for it to be a success? Playoffs? 8-8? A semi-competent QB? It feels like they are far away, but things can quickly change in the NFL.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 09:50 AM)
Other then having like an 0-16 season where all of our free agent / draft moves are bust, I presume Pace is here for at least another year. Most reports seem to indicate that Fox is likely going to be here another year as well with Pace likely getting at least 5 years. I don't like Pace for missing the mark on maximizing Jeffrey's value, but I can respect the fact that he didn't want to pay X for a player and didn't overpay. Curious to see what we do at QB cause I really have no idea what we are going to do.

I don't necessarily think he'll be fired at end of year. But if the free agents he just tied a bunch of money up into aren't good, then it's only a matter of time. The "well we have a bunch of room under the cap" excuse will be gone.

If Pace s***s his pants with most of these high picks + doesnt get the right QB or passes on a QB in the draft that winds up being good + has the same level of success with FA's that he has shown thus far...he can be in some serious trouble. He may last another year even if all of this goes wrong but results need to be showing after three years.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
How is there any way the Browns pass up Garrett? Could they possibly mess this up.

I don't think they will. I would imagine this will be a draft where the 1st pick is a foregone conclusion.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 07:55 AM)
I don't necessarily think he'll be fired at end of year. But if the free agents he just tied a bunch of money up into aren't good, then it's only a matter of time. The "well we have a bunch of room under the cap" excuse will be gone.

I presume we aren't going to go insane. We need to keep flexibility, but we also need to add some playmakers and it is okay to add a few via free agency. He's going to succeed by hitting in the draft, imo. Another draft like last year and this team will be in an even better spot (presuming players continue to develop / take next steps).