2017 NFL off season thread

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:26 PM)
No,it's not relevant at all. He is gonna get paid his money, if you aren't willing to pay him what he wants, you trade him and move on, last year in this current offseason. There is no "costs too much to sign him". You don't let him walk for nothing. Teams like the Bears do this bulls*** and it bites them in the ass, teams like the Patriots don't do this.

Yes there is. Teams may not want him if he is expensive. Now they can try to trade him "as is" but why would they when the Bears may not offer him a deal. They can just wait until he is a FA and try to sign him for a cheaper deal than the Bears would sign him for.

He doesn't want to be here and would make the Bears pay far too much to try to keep him. Other teams know this and will wait it out. Why trade for him when he will be signed for just money and no draft picks.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 02:13 PM)
Alshon isnt going to be on this team because Fox decided he didnt like his attitude right? He wasn't too fond of his soft tissue injury approach.

Pretty much. And the rest of the league knows this.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Yes there is. Teams may not want him if he is expensive. Now they can try to trade him "as is" but why would they when the Bears may not offer him a deal. They can just wait until he is a FA and try to sign him for a cheaper deal than the Bears would sign him for.

He doesn't want to be here and would make the Bears pay far too much to try to keep him. Other teams know this and will wait it out. Why trade for him when he will be signed for just money and no draft picks.

your entire premise revolves around right now, this week. The bears have had two years to get to this point and frankly, they dropped the ball if he walks.

There will be a team that meets his demands, there always is.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
your entire premise revolves around right now, this week. The bears have had two years to get to this point and frankly, they dropped the ball if he walks.

If someone is willing to pay that dude eight figures a year, they can have him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
Can anyone confirm...do they look at comp picks in isolation (for losing a player)? Or do they look at the net gains / losses via free agency. So for example, if the Bears signed like 6 pretty good size free agents, but loss Alshon, would they consider the fact that we signed other guys when evaluating for whether we deserve a pick for losing Alshon? If the answer is no, then I could understand this as I would suspect we'd get a decent comp pick for him (maybe one of those end of 3rd round ones).

That said, I thought they look at players lost and gained, in which case, I presume we'll get nothing, since we will likely be signing a good number of free agents.

They won't receive a compensatory pick for Jeffery. It's players lost but they factor in free agents signed as well. If they let Jeffery walk and don't sign anyone in free agency, they'd likely receive a 3rd round comp pick next year. Everyone expects the Bears to go nuts in free agency though so it's a moot point.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)

This is true. i'm talking what they can do right now. 2 years ago Fox wasn't fed up with his lack of playing. That took a year or two. In hindsight, they should have traded him 2 years ago. however, I don't think anyone thought it would get to this point.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 04:53 PM)
This is true. i'm talking what they can do right now. 2 years ago Fox wasn't fed up with his lack of playing. That took a year or two. In hindsight, they should have traded him 2 years ago. however, I don't think anyone thought it would get to this point.

There have been many Bear fans (especially on here) calling for a resign or plan with Alshon for the past two years. With the thought that they better not just let him walk for nothing. Two years later low and behold they are letting him walk for nothing. As a GM and coach you dont have the luxury to wait and see how things work out with every player before you make big decisions. You have to be proactive in a lot of dealings or else you can get burned.

Now if the Bears tried to sign him with a fair deal in the past and he just doesn't want to be a Bear then that's a different story.

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
There have been many Bear fans (especially on here) calling for a resign or plan with Alshon for the past two years. With the thought that they better not just let him walk for nothing. Two years later low and behold they are letting him walk for nothing. As a GM and coach you dont have the luxury to wait and see how things work out with every player before you make big decisions. You have to be proactive in a lot of dealings or else you can get burned.

Now if the Bears tried to sign him with a fair deal in the past and he just doesn't want to be a Bear then that's a different story.

For a guy that has been injured as much as Jeffrey has been, I have to imagine the teams idea of a fair deal was much different than Jeffrey's. I would also bet that he had about zero value on the trade market as well for the same reason.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)
Alshon Jefferys injury history is extremely overblown. He had one year where he was consistently injured

Yep. If it weren't for his suspension (and I realize, his suspension was an issue, but not injury related), he'd have played in every game in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Yes, he's had some injuries and had trouble practicing at times, but in general, the guy has played. I'm okay with the Bears deciding he isn't worth their resources, etc...what I'm not okay in is how they mismanaged the asset and ended up getting nothing for him. Alshon is too good of a player to just let walk (without at least getting a 3rd or 4th round pick).

QUOTE (shipps @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)

I guess I look at it a little differently. Teams change so much from year to year and the big shift in records as well. The need to take every year that they have a chance at it and try to win. Fans may look ahead but with the way the Bears have switched coaches in recent years they really can't just throw seasons away. Injuries and FA make the teams much more volatile than baseball.

I get what you're saying but would a future 3rd round pick (speaking from the perspective of 2 years ago) be worth trading him when they were trying to win?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:12 PM)
I guess I look at it a little differently. Teams change so much from year to year and the big shift in records as well. The need to take every year that they have a chance at it and try to win. Fans may look ahead but with the way the Bears have switched coaches in recent years they really can't just throw seasons away. Injuries and FA make the teams much more volatile than baseball.

I get what you're saying but would a future 3rd round pick (speaking from the perspective of 2 years ago) be worth trading him when they were trying to win?

They weren't trying to win 2 years ago, they made that abundantly clear. And 2 years ago Jeffery was coming off of his two best seasons as a pro back to back, they would have gotten more than a future third round pick

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
They weren't trying to win 2 years ago, they made that abundantly clear. And 2 years ago Jeffery was coming off of his two best seasons as a pro back to back, they would have gotten more than a future third round pick

True but if they were planning on winning in the near future, the following year or so, why would they trade him coming off his best years?

I don't think they planned on being this bad for this long. They thought they would be in contention very quickly which is why they hired the older but experienced coach not a young rebuilding coach.

Edit: In hindsight it would have been the best move but they didn't think it would go this way.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
True but if they were planning on winning in the near future, the following year or so, why would they trade him coming off his best years?

I don't think they planned on being this bad for this long. They thought they would be in contention very quickly which is why they hired the older but experienced coach not a young rebuilding coach.

Edit: In hindsight it would have been the best move but they didn't think it would go this way.

This is why Pace is paid to be GM though. And the point remains, it is extremely bad to let an asset walk

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 28, 2017 -> 01:59 PM)
This is why Pace is paid to be GM though. And the point remains, it is extremely bad to let an asset walk

I disagree. It was worth the gamble early. He's only played in 16 games 2 times in five years for a variety of reasons.

He was worth too much to trade 2 years ago and isn't worth what it would take to keep him now.