2017 NFL off season thread

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 12:37 PM)
The fun part will be that a guy like Jay Cutler couldn't find a job either, so it isn't just him.

But Jay Cutler did find a job, just not in the NFL. Do you think the NFL Network, CBS, Fox, NBC, or ESPN will reach out to Kaepernick?

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
Not a law guy so I don't have a clue. Apparently these organizations are using his price tag as a reason for passing on him.

Except teams haven't actually asked him how much money he wants. Hes never said that hes looking for starter or even top backup money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 03:09 PM)
Chris Boden‏Verified account @CSNBoden 2h2 hours ago

#Bears Fox clarifies McPhee scope was "cleanup". Doesnt see this as Fuller situation last yt, when missed whole season.

Knee scopes in chicago = out for year

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 10:37 AM)
The fun part will be that a guy like Jay Cutler couldn't find a job either, so it isn't just him.

I don't know if that was really true. He might not have found a starting job, but I also don't think he was actively looking for back-up roles, etc, and there were mixed reports at how open he really was about looking for a job. I think the reality was Jay decided if he wasn't going to start for a contender, he was going to hang it up and enjoy his health and family (and we all know he wasn't going to start for a contender...maybe as a back-up after an injury, but not immediately).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 08:31 PM)
I don't know if that was really true. He might not have found a starting job, but I also don't think he was actively looking for back-up roles, etc, and there were mixed reports at how open he really was about looking for a job. I think the reality was Jay decided if he wasn't going to start for a contender, he was going to hang it up and enjoy his health and family (and we all know he wasn't going to start for a contender...maybe as a back-up after an injury, but not immediately).

There were reports that he reached out to Houston and they wanted nothing to do with him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
There were reports that he reached out to Houston and they wanted nothing to do with him.

When it comes to Jay...my view is the media / someone will always air on the side of negativity. And just cause one team didn't want Jay doesn't mean the rest of the league didn't. If he wanted to, he'd be on someone's roster (not saying he'd be a starter...but he'd be somewhere).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)
When it comes to Jay...my view is the media / someone will always air on the side of negativity. And just cause one team didn't want Jay doesn't mean the rest of the league didn't. If he wanted to, he'd be on someone's roster (not saying he'd be a starter...but he'd be somewhere).

Yeah, I think there was enough interest where if Cutler wasn't a backup yet, he'd now be a backup in Baltimore. You can't tell me that a guy from the CFL is a better backup than Cutler or Kaepernick.

But, you're talking about a guy in his 30s who has to manage diabetes being required to stay in football shape for 6 months and potentially take more shots after his salary drops from $18 million to $1-2 million when he already has kids. He'd have to really, really want to be an NFL backup to do that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)

Say what you want about Jay but he legit could have made that team a Super Bowl contender. Kind of crazy to me that the Texans didn't try and grab him for a year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 06:20 PM)
Say what you want about Jay but he legit could have made that team a Super Bowl contender. Kind of crazy to me that the Texans didn't try and grab him for a year.

With Savage having been in their system for 3 years...and they clearly had already made the decision to draft a QB at the time...that one made some sense to me. They have a top 2 arms already, they want one of those 2 to play. Seemed odd they didn't have interest in him in FA, then they jumped up in the draft and that made sense.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 07:33 PM)
The Ravens are thinking about signing Kaepernick, but are meeting with fan groups and sponsors first to discuss it.

And Ray Lewis. Because you know, manslaughter is fine, but kneeling during a song is unacceptable.

Love the NFL. Vick who is an ex-con, returned to the NFL and made millions of dollars. Such a role model for kids.

Big Ben? Alleged rapist.

You can commit all sorts of heinous acts and still find a job in the NFL unless you take a knee during the anthem.

Edited by KagakuOtoko

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 09:47 PM)
Love the NFL. Vick who is an ex-con, returned to the NFL and made millions of dollars. Such a role model for kids.

Big Ben? Alleged rapist.

You can commit all sorts of heinous acts and still find a job in the NFL unless you take a knee during the anthem.

That's not the NFL... That's the fan base. I promise you if Kap was still a top notch QB, no one would care about this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:34 AM)
That's not the NFL... That's the fan base. I promise you if Kap was still a top notch QB, no one would care about this.

He'd be one of if not the best back up in the league. Of course it'd be different if he was Rodgers or Brady but the only reason he doesn't have a job right now is because some morons are offended by kneeling.

Edited by Rowand44

Just training camp (and early in training camp), but supposedly Cohen has been absurdly quick and made a ton of moves (no pads, etc). Glennon has had some bad picks (driven by poor mechanics...really driven by how hard it is for him to reset given how lanky he is). Tru has had issues fumbling snaps, but otherwise it sounds like he's been pretty good (obviously we are talking training camp). Shaheen has been beasting (and shown fantastic hands). White is practicing as is Long & Trevathan (which I'll consider a positive).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:20 PM)
I think many coaches especially ones new to the team would do the same thing. Coaches take first day of camp seriously.

It's one practice ptatc, c'mon. And usually I would give the benefit of the doubt for an organization. Not the Chargers who've had a LONG history with questionable decision making on their players.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)
It's one practice ptatc, c'mon. And usually I would give the benefit of the doubt for an organization. Not the Chargers who've had a LONG history with questionable decision making on their players.

I'm not saying I would look at it this way but I've known coaches that would. i think this is a different case as it's a new coach, a new city and it's the first day of camp.

I wouldn't hold them back but I'm not surprised that an NFL coach did.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:22 PM)

We're talking about practice.