2017 NFL off season thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 11:21 AM)
The rumor was Romo to WAS, Cousins to SF, drafts picks to DAL.

Was this deal real though? It just seemed like something SportsMockery would have come up with to get people to click. Its such a bad deal for WAS there is no way it could have been true. Washington can definitely be stupid but not that stupid. Who wants Romo considering there is no way he can even last a full season? I wouldnt trade him for a fifth round pick let alone a proven QB thats decent.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
Was this deal real though? It just seemed like something SportsMockery would have come up with to get people to click. Its such a bad deal for WAS there is no way it could have been true. Washington can definitely be stupid but not that stupid. Who wants Romo considering there is no way he can even last a full season? I wouldnt trade him for a fifth round pick let alone a proven QB thats decent.

It was definitely just a rumor, but I don't think it's that bad for Washington given Cousins' contract situation. If they want to keep him, they have to pay him a lot and lot of money, which they don't seem comfortable doing, especially with Shanahan gone. So you might as well get something for him, and while Romo does have his durability issues, he's still a better QB IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 6, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
It was definitely just a rumor, but I don't think it's that bad for Washington given Cousins' contract situation. If they want to keep him, they have to pay him a lot and lot of money, which they don't seem comfortable doing, especially with Shanahan gone. So you might as well get something for him, and while Romo does have his durability issues, he's still a better QB IMO.

Letting him walk and signing a monster contract elsewhere gives them a 3rd round comp pick. That's probably a much better deal than banking on Tony Romo to make it through a season.

If some team like the Bears signed Glennon as stop gap starter for a year or two. Around 6-7 million a year. It would be a good deal.

Some team signing him for 15-16 million a year on a long term deal should fire their GM.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
If some team like the Bears signed Glennon as stop gap starter for a year or two. Around 6-7 million a year. It would be a good deal.

Some team signing him for 15-16 million a year on a long term deal should fire their GM.

The bucs are offering more than 6-7 per year for him to be a backup. He's going to get at least 12 I think.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
The funny thing is Glennon doesn't have an agent atm so nobody can negotiate with him right now, because teams cannot talk directly to a player in the legal tampering period

Liz MullenVerified account @SBJLizMullen Free Agent QB Mike Glennon has signed with @AthletesFirst founder & NFL agent Dave Dunn.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 06:14 AM)
The Mike Glennon era for the Bears begins today doesnt it?

The joy.

If they gave him a deal that had some upside for him, but less in guarantees, I'm open to it...as long as they also intend on drafting a QB by the 2nd round (essentially go the Seahawks approach).

Alex Marvez‏Verified account @alexmarvez 8m8 minutes ago

More

Not sure if out there but source tells @sn_nfl that @ChicagoBears expected to make push to sign @Vikings UFA WR @ceeflashpee84

Cordarrelle Patterson doing anything for ya?

From a Vikings blog, this would be OK if he is only a returner. But as a top 3 receiver, just no, no, no.

The Daily Norseman‏

@DailyNorseman

Follow

More

Report: #Bears expected to pursue Cordarrelle Patterson #Vikings #NFLFreeAgency

I would imagine Patterson is not going to get much, so I don't mind if he's just for special teams. Hard to keep a receiver as limited as him when we've been so killed by injuries there the last few years.

Not sure what I was expecting but all the FA's connected with the Bears are pretty underwhelming. Especially if they are going to be giving out larger contracts to these guys. But what do I know?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:41 AM)
Patterson is kind of Hester-lite, right? Awesome return guy but has trouble grasping an offense?

Yes. Incredibly fast and dynamic in open field, incredibly dense and cannot learn a playbook.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
Not sure what I was expecting but all the FA's connected with the Bears are pretty underwhelming. Especially if they are going to be giving out larger contracts to these guys. But what do I know?

There just aren't that many top notch free agents available. With the franchise tag available, teams just don't let players in their prime get away. Most of the time they do hit free agency past 30, so suddenly it's a big gamble.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 7, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
Yes. Incredibly fast and dynamic in open field, incredibly dense and cannot learn a playbook.

They haven't exactly had great QB play though. I'd be interested in Patterson from the pure sense that we lack speed and our special teams has been mediocre. He helps fill the void in both departments and potentially has some (albeit limited) upside as a receiver. As long as the price is right, I'm open to the play. Pryor is a guy I'd be all over (if the price was right). I think there is real potential upside if we were to sign him.